Author Topic: Melee caster conjurer viable?  (Read 4174 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline danjoe

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Melee caster conjurer viable?
« on: 16 May 2021, 21:29:00 »
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, but playing Titan Quest from time to time, for years now.
Work and family is keeping my time very limited on playing, but I still enjoy the game :)

I stumbled upon the Evoker Guide from Anuchyfilm
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1126.0

The build looks very fun, but I already have an Evoker, using staff and psionic beam, being also a caster.

That's why I thought about a melee caster conjurer, using flame surge, as an LMB Attack, with life drain, eruption and fire nova.
Not quite sure, if a hybrid will work out, since there isn't much resistance reduction, besides Death Chill Aura.
Could try to go with monkey kings trickery, or shen long, but will it be sufficient?

Usually I just start and see where it's going, but besides having 8 chars all played with xmax3 (3 on legendary act3), I never went for any hybrid chars.
So I'm very new, using this type of char and I guess, this time could be the first time, to kind of think ahead and planing the char a little bit :)

Like Anuchyfilm, I thought about going mainly for int and spending some points into strength gear dependend wise, pushing mostly elemental dmg and vitality dmg.
But eruption and volcanic orb deal phsysical dmg as well, so would it be better, to invest a bigger amount into strength, damage wise?
I'm also having in mind, equipping legendary stonebinder cuffs, which would require a certain amount of dex.
With odysseus Armor, i would have 30% Reduction to all Requirements, which would give me good alternatives from the start.

I'm not asking for a complete guide, just asking for some tips, hints and suggestions, or someone telling me to forget about this char :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Melee caster conjurer viable?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2021, 06:31:29 »
Welcome to the forum.  :)

Well, Flame Surge isn't that great, I'd guess that Life Drain might be better as your main skill.

Not sure why you'd want to melee a Conjurer; Evoker gets some strength help from Dream providing that attribute, but Conjurer gets none.  On the plus side you get dex from both masteries, which Dream doesn't give you as an Evoker.  You could put enough points into str for the SBC's and the rest into int and dex.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zardoz

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2021, 07:35:04 »
Not sure why you'd want to melee a Conjurer; Evoker gets some strength help from Dream providing that attribute, but Conjurer gets none. 

But wouldn't be better if he focuses on wearing caster equipment instead of str. based armors? If it's going to be elemental melee... then the caster gear is the one to look out for with a boost to elemental damages and good resistances, and if possible a good amount of cooldown reduction. You can't get that from str. gear.

I personally haven't tried something like this (oh though it's in my future plans with a melee Elementalist), but correct me if i'm wrong, he can use items that convert physical damage to elemental, and thus create a powerful pure melee elemental build and just focus on wearing caster gear. Sure these items aren't easy to find, so he would have to obtain them through another hero who is more suitable for legendary farming. I guess, still a few points in str. will be needed for weapons equipment. The best swords have 400+ str. req, while spears need under 200. I would probably go for a spear to make it even more "out of the box". Of course, he can go for Runes instead of Spirit and get the skill that reduces the str. requirements for weapons by over 50% with +skills gear and on top of that has a skill that converts most of the physical damage into elemental damage... the options are endless.

But the main question here is, can a melee Conjurer be a viable option? I believe so... Everything can be viable in this game, even though some builds are easier to make (gear up) than others, and some are just stronger and easier to play with. Everything you can think of, you can make it work if you know what (and where) to look for... it's not Diablo 2 after all. >:D Check the item database where you can plan your build and farming locations. I'm sure you'll find viable solutions for your planned character. Also, experiment with the accomplished hero option. Even if you don't like playing directly from level 40 and act 5... it's still great for testing planning your skill point progression in the early game.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline danjoe

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2021, 09:50:00 »
Thanks for welcoming me :)

Yes, life drain would be better and I'm planning on maxing it as well.

The reason why I want a melee Conjurer is, because i wanted to play in a way like, Anuchy's Evoker, but dont want to play another Evoker, since I already got one, with Staff.
And I don't want to use Ternion as my main attack, since I'm already using this kind of playstyle with my oracle.

Right now, I'm spending most of the time playing with my melee caster Warlock with throwing knives and having a ton of fun with it, being at A2 legendary right now, without any trouble playing xmax.
I want to try out flame surge and the other fire spells in melee range, cause I think it might be fun as well :)
Or is there any better option, besides an Evoker, for a melee caster Earth char?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline danjoe

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2021, 16:39:36 »
Not sure why you'd want to melee a Conjurer; Evoker gets some strength help from Dream providing that attribute, but Conjurer gets none. 

But wouldn't be better if he focuses on wearing caster equipment instead of str. based armors? If it's going to be elemental melee... then the caster gear is the one to look out for with a boost to elemental damages and good resistances, and if possible a good amount of cooldown reduction. You can't get that from str. gear.

I feel a lot more squishy with caster gear without a shield, thats why i want to go for strength based gear.
There are also viable options for cooldown, with strength gear, like odysseus Armor, plus you got the amulets and rings and you have Talisman of the jade emperor.
Trackers hood would be a option, but it has high dex req.

I would probably equip the Cuttlebone Standard, which would boost everything, or hand of hephaestus, for elemental dmg.
I think, there are also good options, for weapons to boost the elemental dmg.

Thought about rune as well, but im not very familiar with the rune mastery, besides my thunderer, which is a dual wield throwing char.

What I also like about Spirit is perma Dark Covenant, which will strongly help with the energy issues, since the spells are very energy hungry.

But yea, maybe you are right and i should just try it :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2021, 07:42:05 »
Ofcourse it's viable. You just need to build it well enough to make it works well.
- Spirit give you decent defense method with Ravage of Time (Deathchill Aura), so as long as you stay close to enemies, your survival ability is stable, but even from afar, you character still can be good at survival just by using Ternion Attacks. If you want to build hybrid character, so your character can using Staff of the Covenant as it deal physical dmg. Both Earth and Spirit give you quite good bonus %physical dmg, so even as a hybrid character, your Ternion Attack with Staff of the Covenant is good enough.
- For gears build, you can refer my gears build here:

Not Yet Rated!

Offline danjoe

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2021, 10:32:40 »
@icefreeze

Already watched your build video, thanks :)

It is looking great, but I don't have that great MI's yet, especially your Sthenos wisdom.

The other thing is, I really don't want to use a staff and ternion attacks, since I already have an oracle and I prefer to try out different playstyle's.
That's why I really want to try out flame surge, as well :))

I'll just go for it, after reading some stuff about rune.
But melee earth hybrid caster seems to be a viable option, either with spirit, or rune.
I'll just need to figure out, how tanky the char could turn out.
Does strength actually boost physical resistance, or just physical dmg?
That would be a reason for me to put more points into strength, besides having the options to wear gear, with higher armor stast.

My Evoker for example is such a glass canon and besides it's high dmg output, I came to the conclusion, that I definitely prefer chars which are not that squishy.

Thank you guys, for your posts :)
« Last Edit: 18 May 2021, 10:36:53 by danjoe »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2021, 12:59:00 »
- Strength only boost Physical dmg, not Physical resistance.
- Earth has Heatshield that give you 15%physical dmg res in duration (100 seconds, iirc), and the recharge time of the skill is only 60s, so even without recharge gears, you can using Heath shield all the time in almost cases.
- You can give your character massive survival abilities with tanky gears build, even that characters don't have good defense method from masteries' skills. For Earth, you can become "immortals" in duration of Stone Form activated, that's why i made my character using gears has reflect dmg effect to using benefit from that skill.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline danjoe

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2021, 15:11:55 »
- I expected and read that, but wasnt sure, if strength could also boost phys resistance, but then not :/

- I will definitely go for recharge gear, cant do without it anymore :) For me, it is the best way to play as a caster, always aiming at at least for 60% - 70% recharge.

- I like stone form as a panic button, but actually dont like the reflecting dmg playstyle, while in stone form. I prefer to run around and kill enemies as fast, as possible, except Bosses.
I think life drain, flame surge, fire nova and eruption, or volcanic orb should be enough for trash mobs. At least I hope so :)

Thanks for the great input, I'm curious, how things will turn out, with the char.
Still thinking about rune, but maybe a Stonespeaker will be my next char. For the melee range, spirit seems to be the better option :)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal