Author Topic: How did you choose your username?  (Read 16335 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
How did you choose your username?
« on: 21 July 2018, 00:31:52 »
Simple question, right? Maybe it's just me, but I like to know where does all those cool usernames come from.

In my case, it's just my initials. Not tough to guess ^^

What about you?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: How did you choose your username?
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2018, 00:52:30 »
I played dota1 and about 2011 some admin on dota bot was causing me problems without special reason and I was banned for asking him why is he doing that and of course after arguing with him. So he was abusing his powers and I had to report that, and I knew 1 guy who was high server admin and used 4 letters of first part of his nick "efko" and then added 3 more letters to have similar nick so I thought that may be some kind of advantage/protection to not be completely banned, later I got used to it and I made it short like now. So for me it was some kind of symbol of power, expected to not be banned there because on some forums admins don't like to see bad words towards them. 2nd part which won't be posted here was from how I was marking dvd-s, had movies, games and music on them so some friends never returned me disks, but then I bought marker and was marking each disk with 3 letters, so no mistake.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2018, 02:04:00 by efko »
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2018, 01:15:33 »
I think I lost it after the second "dota" word, but maybe its better this way

I used my nickname for like 15 years in many different places, it does not have to mean anything, I think I was impressed with what is called Pleistocene park at the time. Haven't heard from them for quite some time though. I guess google should still know what it is. Its the exact case when he will be better at telling the story.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Flix

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2018, 04:36:24 »
Back in 2003 I joined my first online community, the Larian Forums, to talk about what was at that time my favorite game, Divine Divinity.  The Divinity universe has a race of imps, who tend to insert nonsensical phrases like "Flixerflax!" into their broken English.

So inspired, I signed up with Flixerflax as my name on the Divinity forums.  I've shortened it to just Flix everywhere else I've registered.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Cygi

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2018, 09:02:17 »
"Cygi" is a diminutive from my last name.

Simple. :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2018, 09:59:35 »
I chose this nick years ago after reading "Silmarillion", it means "fire star" in one of the languages there.
Back then I listened to lots of death/black metal, but never became a real satanist. Hence the 66.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2018, 10:08:58 »
good uestion,

well i used the nickname "saur" as far a remenber, when i started to play some multiplayer games, i liked the sound and simple the name is, so i kept it.

the reason now i named it "sauruz" , it because ,resemble the ferocious/terrible beast of the past , and on  old foruns the other username as already taken (lol)
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2018, 13:16:27 »
Edited post from another thread:

"We were going to go to the US in November 2007 to visit my relatives there and because my home state was celebrating it's 100th birthday.  So I made a list of a few RPGs to try and buy while I was there: Morrowind, Oblivion, and a couple of others I can't remember now.  We were in the local Best Buys and I was picking these up for purchase and saw a Gold edition of TQ/IT on the shelf nearby.  I didn't know much about it except that it was an RPG like the others, but reading the blurb on the back it sounded like I'd enjoy it since I like Greek mythology, etc.  So that got added to the purchases.

Once back home I installed the games and tried them out.  Didn't really like Morrowind or Oblivion, but kept at them for a bit.  It wasn't until some time in 2008 that I got around to installing TQIT.  I'd also purchased the strategy guide for it (I'm a sucker for those) so that helped me understand how it worked, but like Typhon I kept hitting a brick wall.  I was getting more and more frustrated, but I wanted to continue to play the game.  So I tried to go to Iron Lore's website to see if I could find any information/advice that would help me, only to find the company had closed down.  So I googled and that came up with titanquest.net and that was it.  There was so much info there and many helpful members of the forum willing to help me with their advice.  I learnt a lot there and became a better player.  I beat Typhon and danced around the room with joy.  I went on to beat Hades.  I was hooked.  Needless to say I became a member at TQ.net and over the years was able to pass on my own knowledge of the game to others. 

Because it was the very first forum I ever joined I wanted a username that reflected the mythology in the game itself.  Now I have a sort of love/hate relationship with the film "Jason and the Argonauts" (which is another story), but thinking of that film brought to mind the character Medea who helps Jason steel the Golden Fleece.  So Medea Fleecestealer I became."

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=308.msg2712#msg2712

« Last Edit: 21 July 2018, 13:52:02 by MedeaFleecestealer »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2018, 13:37:45 »
Nice stories ^^

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Cygi

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2018, 13:47:36 »
So Medea Fleecestealer I became.

Ok, I must apologize - to this day I tought that you are "Medea FleaCaster".

Shame on my eyes.  :P

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2018, 13:50:12 »
Now why would I want to cast fleas Cygi.  :o  I have enough problems stealing fleeces.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Mook

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2018, 13:58:18 »
When my kids were at home, we used to play Star wars Galactic Battle ground, (co-op strategy). I was given/took the Wookies. I'm not good at complicated plans, I simply built fortresses and manufactured Wookie beserkers, which were released in red tidal waves to destroy the (mainly AI) worlds. Mass destruction!. "Mums wookies", became Mookies, and the name stuck. Mook is very applicable to my level of general gaming comprehension too.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2018, 16:33:39 »
Such a nice thread! :) 

So why the alias CrocMagnum? Well! They're 2 reasons ^^:

1] Years ago I really liked vampire stuff. You can imagine I would never miss a good vampire movie or a good vamp’ novel (note: good ones are rare). So at that time I wanted a name reflecting my passion for vampiric works. And you know one major vampire trait is their pointy teeth, so I went for:

1- Croc means Fang (in French),
2- Magnum means Big (in Latin),

So basically CrocMagnum means Big Tooth.

But the explanation ain't over,

2] You see in those times I played a lovely videogame entitled Wild Arms, my very first RPG. I’m not much into rpg’s to be honest but this one found it’s way into my heart. The story was classic but efficient, the characters were memorable, the gameplay addictive, and most of all  the soundtrack was a killer.

So in Wild Arms 1 there was this cool swordsman named Jack, always carrying some sort of blue mouse over his shoulder. In the French version of Wild Arms one of his secret sword technique was called CrocMagnum ! Tadaaa.

(in the English version this technique is named Magnum Fang)

On a sidenote you know the sad part? Despite all my (pointless ^^) efforts to make a very cool name, in all the French boards I linger, most people still think I'm using the alias CrocMagnum because no joke they think I'm a fan of the tv series Magnum P.I. *sigh*

So here is Jack von Burace my very first avatar on the Internet ^^:

Finally here's the epic Opening of Wild Arms 1 (turn on the volume pliiiz):

« Last Edit: 21 July 2018, 16:48:49 by CrocMagnum »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Mook

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 22 July 2018, 00:28:27 »
And I assumed your name came from the hulking Egyptian croc-men !
After you saying that croc=fang, I then thought that is where we get our word crocodile . Wrong again, crocodilus comes from the greek krokē ‘pebble’ + drilos ‘worm' =worm of the stones, which I guess down the track gave croc=fang.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 22 July 2018, 01:02:00 »
And I assumed your name came from the hulking Egyptian croc-men !
After you saying that croc=fang, I then thought that is where we get our word crocodile . Wrong again, crocodilus comes from the greek krokē ‘pebble’ + drilos ‘worm' =worm of the stones, which I guess down the track gave croc=fang.
I thought it is crocodile + pistol
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal