Author Topic: Hi! Some newbie questions and stat suggestion  (Read 11013 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Melancholia

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Hi! Some newbie questions and stat suggestion
« on: 19 July 2018, 18:52:17 »
Hi! New here been lurking as a non member abit but been trying not to spoil anything.

I recently got TQ AE + Ragnarök from humble bundle monthly and boy was that a win! I wonder why i'vent tried this game earlier :O Must've slipped under my radar due being busy playing d2 all these years and then later Path of exile. Recently had a burnout from PoE as it usualy happens every league, so it was a good time to try this game and i'm hooked!

Been taking my time and just recently finished normal after about 2 days played on my char :D However did some boss farming to ease the progression due i wanna try reach all the way to legendary deathless.

So couple questions about some mechanics:

Does the 33% chance to slow apply to all my spells or only my staff attacks? The same question goes for life/energy leech.
Figured that would be kinda bonkers with the skill i'm cursing with (plague) But it's hard to tell if it has any affect.

Is + all skills worth going all out for in favor of say resistance/armor/DA? Currently using a nice +1 blue chest, but also found a realy good blue hp chest with 60+ pierce resistance among others, and now that i'm in epic i'm not sure what to choose. Atm i've +4 all skills (5+ nature) to reach the lvl 20 cap (which at first i didn't know about)

I'm running a pet build which seems like a solid starter choise to me as it tends to be in most arpgs. Hence the question above.
My first time with typhon and later dactyl was a scary encounter. Instantly killed my pets and they did immense amount of dmg even tho i had tons of hp. At this point i realised i needed to start using charms for stun and other resistances to help it out abit.

Which leads me to question about how i should put my stats. Initially i ruined couple points in str due i thought it was needed to use the armors and such. Later i noticed you generally go int/dex for casters. But what should i go for as a pet class? i'm tempted to dump my points into hp, atm i've 40 unsused points and not sure where to place them as i'm unsure how many more points ill get from quests and what not.

Here's a couple screens of my sklls and stats: Let me know your thoughts and if i should respec some or focus a particular skill let me know. (stats taken in epic diff)

And one last question, the item drops are very delayed at times is this a bugg or is it supposed to be like that? I've googled some but didn't realy come to a solution. Many times i've walked away from good drops because it takes 30+ seconds for the item to actually show up as pick-able. I've read that i could be tied to the physics, if so any fix for this? Tried running Vsync and even limiting fps to avoid 100+ fps

I probably had some more questions too but this is what i remembered, i wanted to wait until i finished the game before asking as to not spoil any bosses and such.

Thanks in advance!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: Hi! Some newbie questions and stat suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2018, 19:03:16 »
hello Melancholia!

1st of all welcome to the forun!

about the itens having delay, i read few days ago, its semi-common bug from steam, i still ddint see that on my game, but it can appear. no fix im afraid.
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Melancholia

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2018, 19:13:32 »
hello Melancholia!

1st of all welcome to the forun!

about the itens having delay, i read few days ago, its semi-common bug from steam, i still ddint see that on my game, but it can appear. no fix im afraid.

Hi, thanks! :)

Oh that's a bummer, it's the steam version i'm using. However i've started to learn the sounds when a ring/amulet/charm/relic drops so i can sit out and wait for those, but not for other gear.
One good example was after a typhon fight i was playing inventory tetris, just as i was about to use my teleport stone, a blue item appeared. Must've taken atleast 30-40 seconds before it appeared. Makes me wonder how many other items i've missed.

I've found 3 epics so far though, 2 throwing stars, and sickle of kronos which seems absolutely insane.
Throwing stars had lvl 58 requirement and dropped in normal, kinda wierd but eh :) In general i've noticed i find A LOT of throwing stuff. Which annoys me when i want caster stuff. :D
Tho in a sense i've been lucky in that i've found all my +all skill items and such pretty much right away.  Crafting that greater druid artifact was a pain though, part reason why i've so much time spent in normal. But i don't mind it :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline oldage

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2018, 19:47:48 »
I got mine from GOG and have the same problem, but to a lesser degree. Bone piles, chest and kills. Walk away a come back and find thing. Sort of a lag, but it just may be the old computer I'm playing on. Old Windows 7, will check out when I get home  in the Fall and use a much newer one.
Welcome and good luck.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Melancholia

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2018, 20:00:45 »
I got mine from GOG and have the same problem, but to a lesser degree. Bone piles, chest and kills. Walk away a come back and find thing. Sort of a lag, but it just may be the old computer I'm playing on. Old Windows 7, will check out when I get home  in the Fall and use a much newer one.
Welcome and good luck.

This is the loot problem i have as well, i also use windows 7. But i doubt that has to do with anything.
Current theory i heard is due the new updated physics, but there wasn't much postings about it and no fix and it only seem to apply to a few of us.
I was thinking in the same vein of how skyrim craps out if you unlock fps and go beyond 60, all sorts of crazy things can happen then. It literally breaks the game. Walk down a stair and die, flying items and so on. Skyrim is dependant on 60fps cap for its physics to work properly.

Thats why i also mentioned i tried vsync and / or capping my fps, but it made no diffrence at all.
I still enjoy the game but it slows u down quite a bit ^^

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2018, 20:35:39 »
Welcome to the forum and to the game Melancholia.   :)

If it's on a staff it affects only the staff attacks.

+skills versus resistances really depends on whether you need to boost your resistances or not. If you already have +4 to all skills then I'd go for the resistances.  You get a resistance penalty in both Epic and Legendary so it's always good to keep an eye on how they're doing.

Stats - again this depends somewhat on how you play.  If you're relying on your pets to do damage and are staying out of the fray then you really only need enough dex to be able to equip gear/weapons.  The rest can go into int.  If, on the other hand, you're getting into the thick of things then boosting your dex will help you stay alive - you should probably go 1/1 int/dex in that case.

If you want you can put some into health and/or energy if you need it, but here's a little trick to keep in mind from TQ forum legend Poinas.  There are 3 quests where you get bonus attribute points as part of the reward: the Chiron's staff side quest, when you hand in the Hand of Balance and the Eye of Chaos as part of the main quest and the Terracotta Soldiers side quest.  You get 2 points for each of these so that's 6 points per difficulty - 18 in total.  Use these to boost your health/energy.  Each point boosts these by 40 so if you put all into health that would increase it by 720 for example.  Bear in mind that while you can buy back skill points, you can't do the same with attribute ones - once they're allocated and you close the window that's it, you can't change them.

As for item drops they can get stuck at times, even did it in the original game occasionally.  One that particularly stands out is the Staff of Khufu - that sometimes takes a long while to actually show up.  What I've observed is that the items are still moving, even fractionally, so don't show up until they're completely still.

You will find a lot of throwing items because Ragnarok introduced throwing weapons so the devs obviously want them to be plentiful for people to try out.

Finally if you're enjoying the game you might want to have a look at Grim Dawn.  It's made by one of the developers who worked on TQIT originally and it also uses the TQ engine though much upgraded and improved.  It's similar too in that it has the dual mastery system, but also has factions, a devotion system to add even more diversity to your builds and of course lots of loot to find.

http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute_buynow01.php

There is also an expansion for it called Ashes of Malmouth and a separate arena battleground DLC called The Crucible.  Both are available through Humble, Steam or GOG.  There's also another expansion under development called Forgotten Gods which is due out some time later this year.  What's pretty unique in the gaming world is the relationship the devs have built up with the fan base - they give regular updates on what's happening with the game and also do live streams on a Friday fairly regularly.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/

You'll find me there too - I'm a playtester and recently became a moderator of the forum as well.  We're a generally friendly and helpful bunch too so no problems asking questions if you do decide to try out the game.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Melancholia

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2018, 21:15:54 »
Welcome to the forum and to the game Melancholia.   :)

If it's on a staff it affects only the staff attacks.

+skills versus resistances really depends on whether you need to boost your resistances or not. If you already have +4 to all skills then I'd go for the resistances.  You get a resistance penalty in both Epic and Legendary so it's always good to keep an eye on how they're doing.

Stats - again this depends somewhat on how you play.  If you're relying on your pets to do damage and are staying out of the fray then you really only need enough dex to be able to equip gear/weapons.  The rest can go into int.  If, on the other hand, you're getting into the thick of things then boosting your dex will help you stay alive - you should probably go 1/1 int/dex in that case.

If you want you can put some into health and/or energy if you need it, but here's a little trick to keep in mind from TQ forum legend Poinas.  There are 3 quests where you get bonus attribute points as part of the reward: the Chiron's staff side quest, when you hand in the Hand of Balance and the Eye of Chaos as part of the main quest and the Terracotta Soldiers side quest.  You get 2 points for each of these so that's 6 points per difficulty - 18 in total.  Use these to boost your health/energy.  Each point boosts these by 40 so if you put all into health that would increase it by 720 for example.  Bear in mind that while you can buy back skill points, you can't do the same with attribute ones - once they're allocated and you close the window that's it, you can't change them.

As for item drops they can get stuck at times, even did it in the original game occasionally.  One that particularly stands out is the Staff of Khufu - that sometimes takes a long while to actually show up.  What I've observed is that the items are still moving, even fractionally, so don't show up until they're completely still.

You will find a lot of throwing items because Ragnarok introduced throwing weapons so the devs obviously want them to be plentiful for people to try out.

Finally if you're enjoying the game you might want to have a look at Grim Dawn.  It's made by one of the developers who worked on TQIT originally and it also uses the TQ engine though much upgraded and improved.  It's similar too in that it has the dual mastery system, but also has factions, a devotion system to add even more diversity to your builds and of course lots of loot to find.

http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute_buynow01.php

There is also an expansion for it called Ashes of Malmouth and a separate arena battleground DLC called The Crucible.  Both are available through Humble, Steam or GOG.  There's also another expansion under development called Forgotten Gods which is due out some time later this year.  What's pretty unique in the gaming world is the relationship the devs have built up with the fan base - they give regular updates on what's happening with the game and also do live streams on a Friday fairly regularly.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/

You'll find me there too - I'm a playtester and recently became a moderator of the forum as well.  We're a generally friendly and helpful bunch too so no problems asking questions if you do decide to try out the game.

Thank you for the very detailed answer! So let's see where to start...
I occassionally so far enjoy going in the thick of things to tank for my pets, but that's due i've been more sturdy than my pets have been in normal. Epic and onwards i'm not as sure since i wanna try keep it "hardcore" as not to die.
But i guess the 1:1  and use quest for hp could work out. Since i'm used to PoE some things are similar while others are not, i feelt like hp is realy easy to come by here, while not in PoE for example. So resistances / dex / da plays a bigger role here i'd assume.  So i'm not so sure what is considered good hp these days. Ideally i'd like to survive atleast one hit of so called one-shot abilities if this game even has those, i guess i'll find out. :)
Well resistances is always important that much i know due lengthy experience in most arpg/rpgs.

But in TQ we've so many resistances so i'm having hard time to know what to realy focus, usualy it's elemental damage in most games, but here we've plenty more to cap out as well.

As for grimdawn i've to admit i've to give it a go, since i enjoy tq so much.  Previously i've neglected it due me thinking it's just an inferior version/copy of PoE. I've over 6000 hours into PoE so it's kinda my main game. But TQ opened up a new view as well for me. That a single player arpg can be realy great and fun!

Part reason i burn out so quick these days in PoE is due the economy, you know you've to grind to find x to be able to buy y and such. But in singleplayer you're just you, and farming for yourself. And you can actually feel the progression better this way.
Also why i've been playing a lot of SSF (solo self found) But it's still not the same.
Story and atmosphere is what has intruiged me the most about TQ it's great. And the music as well.
Act5 is probably my favorite of them all, except the over the top voice acting, which makes it abit... i dunno how to describe it. Feels like they're trying to overdo it what it's being like having a nordic dialect, also many if not most of the voice actors must've been germans because they got that "zhe" sound which feelt so out of place.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2018, 21:23:37 »
Welcome  ^-^
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2018, 21:41:17 »
Use 1 : 2 dex to int ratio or even 1 : 3, you will need to equip top level staves and they have very high intelligence requirements. Could be that you won't even be able to without either +% int items or requirements reduction items. My summoner can't and didn't even wasted points in str like you did. Luckily Durin and Dvalinn love to add reduced requirements to legendaries, this is how I managed to use some of my items before getting enough int.

Last time I played POE it was 1.4, got sick and quit, never had any intentions to go back.

You don't need to max all resistances in TQ but need some of them maxed for certain fights, which can be done by swapping gear if you don't have it normally. You can even go with some negative resistances, it isn't pleasant but feasible. Best to keep them at least above zero in legendary though. Fire and pierce are most important, keep these above 40% if you can. Also resistance to your own damage type, well, when you do any

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2018, 21:45:09 »
about resistance, pierce/vitality beside of fire/ice/lighting are the ones need be improved in later dificulties, poison more-less.
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2018, 21:53:01 »
Well, they increased the resistance types you see on the character screen in the AE edition of the game.  They were already there in the game, just not shown on the screen.  AE has added them and a few more iirc.  I always make sure the primary ones (those on the first page) are pretty good, if I get any of the secondary ones I'm doing well.  ;D  I can't even remember all the new ones yet.

Grim Dawn has a crafting system as well plus you can find blueprints/recipes for things which can also be crafted.  Instead of relics/charms it has components with standard bonuses rather than the variable ones TQAE has.  Started off with the variables, but it got too complicated for other things in the game so the devs standardised them.  The more common ones are easily found, but the rarer ones have to be crafted.  There's also the inventor (enchanter equivalent) who, as well as separating components/augments from items, can dismantle gear to gain components and other crafting materials found in the game.  With the Forgotten Gods expansion the inventor will have new crafting options - if you find a piece of a set that you already have you'll be able to transmute it into another random item or a piece of the same set.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70306

Where TQ has storytellers giving you background on the various cultures you pass through, Grim Dawn has lore notes and also other more general notes.  It's a darker, more gritty storyline - what you'd expect with a name like Grim Dawn - but it's still very well written and detailed.

Unlike TQIT/AE, you don't have to play the Ashes of Malmouth expansion to unlock the next difficulty.  If you want to do it in Normal and Elite you can, but it's not a requirement.  Which may be just as well since the main game is 4 Acts and AoM adds another 2.  ;D The expansion also adds two more masteries to play with: the Inquisitor who can dual wield guns and the ever popular Necromancer.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Flix

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2018, 22:43:06 »
I've noticed the same thing with loot.  It's the (IMO) stupid way that loot springs out of chests/enemies, up into the air and then falls down.  The items are not able to be grabbed until they come to rest on the ground.  Sometimes, the item(s) just won't sit still.  I've seen potions just jiggling around for up to 45s before they finally held still.

This does not happen with classic Titan Quest, which I also have installed on the same machine.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2018, 22:45:49 »
I know what you mean with main game - for me that's TQIT/AER.  I've been playing since I found it in 2008 and have over 10,000 hours in it. 

And if you want a story - here's Crate Entertainment's.  Arthur Bruno who was the lead game designer for TQ and IT founded Crate Entertainment in 2008 when Iron Lore who made the game folded.  A year after founding the company he bought the rights to the TQ engine and started working on the game pretty much on his own with just occasional help from friends/colleagues in the business.  Wasn't earning anything because that was all he was doing really.  Word had gotten out about what he was doing and funnily enough people kept asking if they could donate to the project.  Eventually he did set this up and also the option to pre-buy the game.  This helped a bit, but he still struggled on working alone.  In 2012 he ran a Kickstarter for the game with a target of $280,000.  He ended up with over $500,000.  With the money he was able to hire full time staff and the project began to move more quickly.  In 2013 the game was released in an alpha version on Steam - just the one act to start with, but slowly building up over the years to a full 4 act game which was fully finished and released in February 2016.  The Crucible was released in August of that year and Ashes of Malmouth came out in October 2017.  The team has grown from that one man band to 14 now.  To date the main game has sold over 1.5 million copies, Crucible over 200,000 (at first anniversary of release) and Ashes of Malmouth over 300,000.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Melancholia

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 20 July 2018, 20:22:38 »
Use 1 : 2 dex to int ratio or even 1 : 3, you will need to equip top level staves and they have very high intelligence requirements. Could be that you won't even be able to without either +% int items or requirements reduction items. My summoner can't and didn't even wasted points in str like you did. Luckily Durin and Dvalinn love to add reduced requirements to legendaries, this is how I managed to use some of my items before getting enough int.

Last time I played POE it was 1.4, got sick and quit, never had any intentions to go back.

You don't need to max all resistances in TQ but need some of them maxed for certain fights, which can be done by swapping gear if you don't have it normally. You can even go with some negative resistances, it isn't pleasant but feasible. Best to keep them at least above zero in legendary though. Fire and pierce are most important, keep these above 40% if you can. Also resistance to your own damage type, well, when you do any

I see, i'm so used that you've to max out all resistances, and in this game i'd bet that's quite hard due there's so many of them. :)
What damage is dactyl slam? So far that thing has been the scariest thing in the game for me, almost perma stunned me while dealing like 2-3k a hit. But now i've learned to focus him down asap and usualy works okay. But that was in normal, epic/legend will most likley be even worse. ^^

Also i highly recommend u to try PoE again if you liked it. Tons have changed since 1.4 which was ages ago. We now also have 10 acts and no more repeating acts for diffultys, it's all streamlined for progression all the way up to maps, which is basically when the game realy starts. Most ppl tend to get bored before that becayse they get so overwhelmed by the skill tree which i agree is massive. But it's part reason why i've been hooked on that game for so long. Also the most expensive free to play game for me ^^ I'm a sucker for MTX and i love to support the company due how awesome they are in terms of community communication and such. They're great. All their mtx and such is non p2w. So it's completley possible to play entirely f2p.  Altho you need to make tons of mules kinda like in TQ if you don't buy some stash tabs.

But ye given my high playtime in that game it's no wonder i start to burn out so early in leagues these days. So i'm happy to branch out now, so i'm happy i found this game. And i'll give grim dawn a go as well once i feel done with TQ.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Melancholia

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2018, 20:23:38 »
about resistance, pierce/vitality beside of fire/ice/lighting are the ones need be improved in later dificulties, poison more-less.

So i should probably ditch my +1 all skill blue chest in favor of the other blue chest i found? forgot it's name but it had like 200 da 175 health 65+ priece resistance and some more. Pretty neat chest.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal