Author Topic: A sad rant  (Read 6051 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hal900x

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A sad rant
« on: 30 January 2018, 08:25:25 »
I'm getting burned out. I usually play one game at a time, to the extreme. I frickin love TQ, a lot. I have put at least 500 hours into it since Ragnarok came out. But I'm starting to get bummed out on it, due to the scarcity of gear, the brutal RNG, and my lack of mental capacity to excel. Really good pieces are infrequent, while I continue to collect vaults full of certain repeating drops (epic+ throwing weapons seem heavily over seeded with Ragnarok installed, for example). With Grim Dawn, getting decent resists is fair straightforward, even in legendary. With TQ you have to have superhuman patience with relentless, mind-numbing levels of farming, and even if you do that you are going to hit a wall sooner or later when you need at least one good Legendary farming toon, and if they don't have the gear for it, you are screwed...the drops are always way underleveled for the point you are at in the game. For once, I would like it to be a little simpler for just one of my toons, instead of spending hours trying to figure out the right combination of gear and stat point allocations to pull it off. And frankly, I think I suck at it. I just don't have quite the mathematical mind that most of the veterans here have, I suspect. The fact that TQVault has a very simplistic, name-only search function doesn't help. I have to hover my mouse over each and every item to check the stats, dump a ton of gear into my toons inventory and then test and test to get any semblance of effectiveness. I have never gotten even close to the kind of effectiveness I see you discussing like it's routine. The way it goes is I have an awesome time for 60 or so levels and then I hit a point where either my resists, armor, stats or bonuses or a combination of them suffers badly and I become ineffective. I feel like I simply lack the innate ability to see the big picture like most of you do on a certain level. For example: I was just falling in love with my Diviner. I saw my health starting to drop a bit too quickly so I went looking for info. I had some ideas, such as the ones I talked about in my Diviner post. They then quickly get shot down by more experienced players. Then I check the guides: hrrrm here's a guide on Kirmizi with an uber Diviner based on %health reduction and %damage converted to health, an unkillable farming machine! But nope, apparently health reduction doesn't scale and bosses now have tons of Vitality resists. I still tried it, equipping a Harrowing staff with Anubis affix and speccing into Ternion. But yep, it sucks, super slow kill speed and even with all the gear I farmed over that 500 hours, my resists are lacking. In short, I want this game to still have my enthralled but I'm finding it harder and harder to feel happy about launching the game.

That's it, just wanted to vent a bit. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm hating on the game because there is a reason I put hundreds of hours into it. I just find myself rerolling a new toon out of necessity when I would rather push on with the same one, and it's bumming me out.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: A sad rant
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2018, 12:56:12 »
ever tried farming hydra? the trick is getting close to him as possible even if you're a ranged/caster.. load up on poison res.. some fire and cold but poison most important.. that can be your one stop farming spot.. it's easy if you have storm because his mana gets drained in 2 spell breaker casts.. but even if you don't have storm, just follow what i said above he won't be a problem
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Pazuzu

• The Omnipotent
  • Forum Moderator
  • Keel
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2018, 16:15:51 »
I think that TQ:AE:R is disappointing in some aspects. What saddens me the most is that many if not all of my old builds are much weaker now. That doesnt mean that they are still not able to finish the game, but its just not the same. Those were toons that i spent many days farming and planning the end game build. But what i have now are toons that are incomplete because of the new mechanics. The first and most obvious flaw is the change on bleed and vitality resistance, need to plan for new items and sacrifice damage or other defenses in order to get those 2 resistances. Also i noticed differences on how DA works, im not entirely sure what was changed, but its different.

The cap on the other immortalities is not entirely a bad thing, such as 100% ctap, but i would still want to have the option to use it if i wanted to.

What i noticed on shield characters is that although i achieved 100% block with 100% shield recovery time, i still receive attacks mostly from melee enemies, not so much from ranged. I dont have enough information about these things so i cannot plan for better builds, not until i understand how the new mechanics work.

What i do like about the updates, is that we have a new act and a few new items, that's about it though. I would honestly prefer the old titan quest with the addition of the new act and the new items. I've been back to the game for awhile now but haven't managed to progress much on any character so far. Because every time i progress a bit, i encounter a road block just like you said. The only toon that i can still progress with is my normal runesmith, but i dont like that rune mastery that much, its boring.
Corsair Carbide Air 540 - Asus Maximus VI Hero - Pentium G3258 5Ghz - Thermalright TS 140 Power - Samsung EVO 850 250GB - Corsair Dual Airflow Fan - Corsair Vengeance 8gb - Nvidia GTX 750Ti.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hector

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2018, 17:05:01 »
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this case.. My experience with AE:R so far has almost been as the same as yours.. Yesterday, Act IV Epic surprised me with its occasional legendary drops but the rates are still far from optimized.. And yes, about that "ineffectiveness" issue.. I feel the same.. I couldn't find an optimal gear setup until I fight Charon but then I remembered his loot table includes a seemingly perfect set for my Warden (Diomedes' Armor) and I just assumed he dropped them and created those items via TQVault.. and you know what, the char is still ineffective in the offense department.. Legendary spear which almost doubled my base damage (Reach of  Helios), Glorybringer artifact which completes my +4 to all skills, Palioxis of trickery coupled with ares relic and this and that and whatnot but none of them changes the pace of the game.. a stable, enjoyable playthrough which you encounter exciting challenges and thinking about complex strategies (and actually manage to pull them) is all I desire from this game like the veterans here accomplish but as you said, I think we unintentionally ignore some of the key aspects in this game while trying to build our chars.. For instance, paying attention to looks of the gear on chars is one of them for me.. Also I try to balance EVERYTHING including secondary resistances,upping flat bleeding damage when I should probably focus on fewer but more crucial things and improve them as much as I can..

Like you said, our way of thinking and building a strategy just doesn't suit with this game (or maybe this game genre as a whole)..   
« Last Edit: 30 January 2018, 19:35:04 by Hector »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2018, 19:30:16 »
 ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
i have no problem with the game.. but what you all are saying proves what i said in another thread: good tactic is better than good gear.. like understanding enemy behaviors.. killing manticore with zero resists

i like the game ;D

edit: Pazuzu.. you know what's wrong in your case dude.. you still want to play massbosses and all those mods that make the game harder when the devs made the base game harder already.. i bet if you play without any mods, you'll have no problem.. for added difficulty, xmax is all you need but nothing more
« Last Edit: 30 January 2018, 19:54:10 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Pazuzu

• The Omnipotent
  • Forum Moderator
  • Keel
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2018, 21:48:35 »
@botebote77  yea man, but problem is that the basic game although harder than tq it is still too easy for me. i want achilles and massbosses mods but with bleed and vitality resistance tempered with im having a hard time adjusting because i dont want to lose damage. I have a modded db.arz but it is an old version and wont work with ragnarok. sadly i dont know anything about mods so i cant work on it.  On the bright side i started playing achilles with my guardian today, its going really well.. no edited db or anything too, just playing the stock ae : r game in achilles. will post vids later
Corsair Carbide Air 540 - Asus Maximus VI Hero - Pentium G3258 5Ghz - Thermalright TS 140 Power - Samsung EVO 850 250GB - Corsair Dual Airflow Fan - Corsair Vengeance 8gb - Nvidia GTX 750Ti.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2018, 21:59:54 »
@botebote77  yea man, but problem is that the basic game although harder than tq it is still too easy for me.
i rest my case  :))
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Benitot

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2018, 23:40:00 »
The route to go with the diviner in the Anniversary Edition is with vitality damage. Death Chill aura can negate any vitality resistance. And don't forget your pets. You'd be surprised how fast you can take down bosses. Health reduction is not viable anymore.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal