Author Topic: MI drop sounds mod (re-)creation help  (Read 1291 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline ZLOJ

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
MI drop sounds mod (re-)creation help
« on: 19 January 2023, 09:04:32 »
Hello,

I'm looking for someone experienced with modding TQ to either create or help with creation of a mod that would make a sound when dropping an MI item. Farming MI items (Stonebinder cuffs in particular) would be easier as you wouldn't have to wait for the monster to fully drop items. It is also quite common for me to find MIs during normal play while backtracking -  because I left the area before the item finished rolling on the ground.

I've looked through the game files:
I have found in the game resources that the sound record is called EMBERSLEGENDARYDROP.DBR (RECORDS/SOUNDS/SOUNDPACK).
It uses soundName1,Sounds\item\emberslegendarydrop.mp3,
So I have tried to find mentions of it and Game.dll seems to be the place where this gets injected ino the game as it is the only match that is not a reference to the resource. None of the other matches have reference to item class type (Legendary)
If anyone knows how to amend Game.dll to include this sound for items of 'Rare' quality (so monster infrequents) iti would most likely solve the issue

Another solution would be to take this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1783348088
And strip off additional stuff that's in it. It's a little bit less future-proof solution as the mod replaces dropSound3d for all MI rather than patching item type drop sounds, but it (presumably) works. Patching the game.dll would be better but I've no idea how to do that and if that would even work. That way you'd only have to re-patch the .dll once after the game is updated.
I would probably be able to make a "custommaps" mod replacing all dropSound3d anyway. Especially that I have a very nice example of how to do it, but I don't know how to make a bounce mod so I'm stuck.

Can someone please make such a mod to make MI emit loud sounds when dropping or help me solve the issues I faced?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline soa

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: MI drop sounds mod (re-)creation help
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2023, 21:04:38 »
The sounds for rare items already exist :

records\sounds\soundpak\embersraredrop.dbr
records\sounds\soundpak\embersraredrop3d.dbr

They're supposed to be already working but maybe there's a bug. They are not referenced in the database which means it's likely hardcoded. They are referenced in Game.dll as well.

Playing the sound based on item type (itemClassification in the dbr) doesn't work because there's no MI item type. MIs are Rare, but Rare items also include non-MI items (those with Rare affixes).

So the engine probably uses the name of the dbr file : starting with "mi_" or checking the color of the text (lime green). If this part of the code is bugged, I don't know how and if it can be fixed by a mod.
IMO hardcoded stuff is crap, it has a lot of chances to bug out and the game takes ages to be patched (if it is), the best way would be to mute all of those files, create new ones and patch every item dbr to make it clean.

I'll definitely not make a mod dedicated to that, just giving my opinion on the matter.
Soulvizier for AE, Ragnarok and Atlantis [released] :
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1201.0  / Discord : https://discord.gg/qs9t6AA
Overhaul mod with many new monsters, skills, items, features, balance and bugfixes. Increased difficulty.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline ZLOJ

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2023, 21:11:59 »
Thank you for the reply! I think that other .dbr and sound file is for blue items. Blue and purple ones have slightly different sounds.
And yeah, hard coding sucks which is why I would prefer to edit game.dll somehow. Ideally though it would be devs to make this an option. I imagine for someone who knows how to do this it's a 2 minute job. I'll drop this off as an email or ticket to thq Nordic too

Not Yet Rated!

Offline SantosMcguire

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2023, 11:29:54 »
Hello,

I'm looking for someone experienced with modding TQ to either create or help with creation of a mod that would make a sound when dropping an MI item. Farming MI items (Stonebinder cuffs in particular) would be easier as you wouldn't have to wait for the monster to fully drop items. It is also quite common for me to find MIs during normal play while backtracking -  because I left the area before the item finished rolling on the ground.

I've looked through the game files:
I have found in the game resources that the sound record is called EMBERSLEGENDARYDROP.DBR (RECORDS/SOUNDS/SOUNDPACK).
It uses soundName1,Sounds\item\emberslegendarydrop.mp3,
So I have tried to find mentions of it and Game.dll seems to be the place where this gets injected ino the game as it is the only match that is not a reference to the resource. None of the other matches have reference to item class type (Legendary)
If anyone knows how to amend Game.dll to include this sound for items of 'Rare' quality (so monster infrequents) iti would most likely solve the issue

Another solution would be to take this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1783348088
And strip off additional stuff that's in it. It's a little bit less future-proof solution as the mod replaces GTA 5 Mobile Free Download for all MI rather than patching item type drop sounds, but it (presumably) works. Patching the game.dll would be better but I've no idea how to do that and if that would even work. That way you'd only have to re-patch the .dll once after the game is updated.
I would probably be able to make a "custommaps" mod replacing all dropSound3d anyway. Especially that I have a very nice example of how to do it, but I don't know how to make a bounce mod so I'm stuck.

Can someone please make such a mod to make MI emit loud sounds when dropping or help me solve the issues I faced?
Firstly, modifying the Game.dll file can be a bit tricky and potentially risky, so it's important to make a backup of the file before attempting any changes. It's also worth noting that modifying game files may violate the game's terms of service or end-user license agreement, so proceed at your own risk.

That being said, if you're determined to modify Game.dll, you'll likely need to use a program like dnSpy or a similar tool to decompile and modify the file. Once you've done that, you'll need to find the code responsible for handling sound effects for item drops and modify it to include the sound effect you want for Rare items.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2023, 18:44:47 by SantosMcguire »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal