Author Topic: Storm: tricky mage - A look at storm skills by a biased mage player  (Read 48987 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• View Profile
    • Awards
I think i somehow made a reference to every class except hunting and earth. Hunting, i haven't paired it with storm yet but i think this could be good as a ranged attacker. Monster lure is just so good with high CDR. You can take my word on this. And with high CDR, you can have permanent call of the hunt (65% or above). It's up to you if you're ready to play hybrid though. I think you can also play it as an ice sharder. Abuse monster lure, squall and study prey-flush out.

(Sage) Storm & Hunting is actually one of my oldest combo's, and with AE/Ragnarok I recreated my initial build. I don't think it can be a hybrid, it is very much an Int.-based caster, but interestingly it's the only weapon-equiped true caster.

The reason it works is that the level cap raise from Ragnarok, paired with AE's nerf to Scatter Shot, allows you to save skill points on what would otherwise be a very point heavy build. Since as a Int. character, you can ignore pierce damage completely, you can leave Marksmanship at one point, and both Scatter Shot and Exploit Weakness at zero, resulting at this very attainable distribution at level 75.

even if i pair storm with warfare or defense, i will still play it as a caster.. i just thought of this because i just got a hale of something chest armor that is int based.. it is just a green item which if you will just put enough perseverance, you can find from vendors.

so to put it simply, if it's me, i see zero scenario where i would want to play storm as a melee character.. of course  this is just me, i am a very biased caster oriented player :)

I think this is more or less in line with my experience for range characters.

Storm is a very potent mastery, but also very much dependent on pure Int. skills for its potency. This leads to players being forced to, at most, settle with the kind of faux hybrid builds we discussed before.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
I can give you a reason.  Equipping a cold based weapon and watch foes shatter into little pieces of ice that melt away.  ;D Frostbite, Snowblind, Demeter's Sorrow and Glacial Maul.  Love using those with a Paladin or Thane.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hector

• View Profile
    • Awards
I can give you a reason.  Equipping a cold based weapon and watch foes shatter into little pieces of ice that melt away.  ;D Frostbite, Snowblind, Demeter's Sorrow and Glacial Maul.  Love using those with a Paladin or Thane.

+1 to this  8)

Oh and lets not forget the items that provide "freeze" other than weapons.. cold essence charm for instance, is very charming indeed ::)

I just love getting stuff such as "slower attack for X seconds, ADCtH, freeze, stun, etc.." from non-weapon items due to the reason which is obviously known.. don't you  ^-^

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• View Profile
    • Awards

Yeah, but then are you not really playing either a faux hybrid (Int. based character using a melee weapon for elemental distribution) or a comparatively simple Storm enhanced physical character (using Storm only for some conditional effects, not really for elemental damage, and/or not really investing in any of Storm's dedicated spells)?

This is a serious question by the way, not cynicism towards your statement :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Been a while since I played any Paladins so not sure how I was going to do them.  But I looked at my paper list in Open Office (so many builds there!  :o) and one for a Paladin in Xmax is down as going strength 2 attribute points until L40, then intel after with the bonus points going into health/dex 1/1.  No idea how far I got with that idea though.

As for spells, both the ones listed are using Storm Nimbus, Squall and Lightning Bolt lines. Storm Surge plus Wisp.  All these are down to be maxed except for one point in Wisp and Storm Nimbus.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal