Author Topic: Illusionist Build  (Read 35980 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Illusionist Build
« on: 27 October 2017, 03:21:08 »

A somewhat unpopular combination?

Just want to share my experience on my 2nd favorite char in TQAE (Nature/Rogue). Whichever mastery you start with doesn't really matter but i suggest you focus on 2 wolves and traps early game. This is a petmaster/trapper/X build. Mine is a petmaster/trapper/archer/knifethrower build but the archer and knifethrower part may differ depending on your gamestyle preference.

The skills you would want are:

Rogue: Traps (max), flash powder and however you want to attack. I chose envenom tree (max nightshade and mandrake), calculated strike and lethal strike. You can also choose max knives and no calculated or lethal strike if that's your preference. Heck, i wouldn't fault you if you go PGB or none at all except traps and flash powder. A knifer is very good if you have resistance reduction not from weapon.. like Polaris or monkey kings trickery.. or in my case a mbutis advocate on secondary (the study prey procs with knives).

Nature: I suggest you put at least 1 skill point in every skill here.. All are good if you stack up + to all skills items (which you should).

My build (with +6 all skills):

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titancalc-anniversary-edition/TitanCalce491.html?mastery=Illusionist&master1=4&master2=6&sa=0&m1=32-4-14-10-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-4-10-1-1-1-1-1-0&m2=32-6-0-1-7-1-6-6-4-1-14-0-10-6-1-1-6-0-1-1-6-0

Now you might think traps and strength of the pack don't synergize well because traps deal pierce damage and strength of the pack enhance physical. The solution is simple: a wraithlord's ring (the type that gives bonus physical to pets). 2 wraithlord's rings would be yummy. I wear a wraithlord's ring of immortality with demon's blood. I don't think you should sacrifice your amulet for another wraithlord's but well if you have a wraithlord's amulet of convocation then oof (i don't have that).

This is somewhat safe to play if you let the traps do the aggros first. You still get hit so flash powder, briar ward, regrowth (a 2nd source of healing while your pots are on recharge) and of course HoO is important here. I'm still in act 3 legendary and having no real problems (zero deaths in legendary so far). Frankly, i don't see myself dying if i play careful enough. I have finished the game several times so i have a pretty good feel for the game. I did die once in epic though when i wasn't totally focused on playing (bad Elton John).

Now you might notice i didn't include stat and gear optimization here. Basically because i leave it up to you. Go int and stack up CDR and bonus to pets (spamming briar ward and plague). str and dex and go melee. Use a bow just like me. It really depends on your preferred game style. I do suggest you stack up all skills though (at least + 4) and the mentioned wraithlord's (at least 1). A good place to farm mbutis advocate is from the frogmen just outside rhodes before the first rebirth fountain.. and also soronis (that lampido's potion quest). The free study prey is very valuable especially if you have the physical wraithlord's.

additional info:

looking at tq-db:

beastcaller's ring - lvl 3 (req lvl)

spiritcaller's - lvl 14

summoner's - lvl 28

invoker's - lvl 35

ritualist's - lvl 42

wraithlord's - lvl 53

all can be bought from merchants

update for ragnarok:

i found wolves to be extra squishy in ragnarok with this build. Still, with the new XP scaling and with all those bonus skill points in act 5, you should have enough skill points to add to survival instinct. Also, there is a new prefix (Allfather’s) that gives an even higher boost to pets than wraithlord’s but has lvl 68 requirement.

here is how my illusionist looks like optimized for ragnarok:

start   :  surtr
6:00    :  muspelheim
17:00   :  loki
20:24   :  Olympus portal to Typhon

throwing knife is good for spreading CC and reducing resistances
a fair amount of cast speed is needed for traps and knives
« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 02:32:42 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Illusionist Build
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2017, 03:15:00 »
Only one suggestion for your build - I would take the points from Regrowth and put them on Disseminate. It doesn't waste mana and more heal for pets.
You should try Illusionist with Legion of Champions mod. Its a very fun build to play :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2017, 04:36:17 »
Only one suggestion for your build - I would take the points from Regrowth and put them on Disseminate. It doesn't waste mana and more heal for pets.
You should try Illusionist with Legion of Champions mod. Its a very fun build to play :)

ah no.. i use regrowth on myself and only rarely on my pets.. i want to see my pets die once in a while.. i actually have an assassin's black pearl pendant and i favor hmm either amulet of hygeia or blessing of the gods(can't remember).. just to see my pets die so i can resummon them.. i also don't know why I'm not using aphrodite's.

and I'm not really a pet lover so...

edit: not that i hate pets.. but if i am to be called a petmaster then it should be just like that, me the master and they the pets.. i should be stronger.. lol yeah weird
« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 04:48:32 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2017, 18:36:08 »
Check this out, this guy has alot of cool build videos:

Pity that knives aren't so viable with AE...

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2017, 21:43:47 »

Pity that knives aren't so viable with AE...

pity that I'm not so dedicated to this game as i once was.. if i still am, i might enter a knifethrower in the xmax hardcore challenge.. it still is dude.. the DoT is so much better now especially with knives as it's easy to spread RR.. for an illusionist, all it needs is flat physical damage not from a weapon so it synergizes with strength of the pack.. the 10% nerf is ok because enemies in front die faster now.. the rule is never trash a skill or a playstyle :)
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2017, 22:19:57 »
Since you try alot of builds, i have a question. Do you know a viable build using Ensnare? I'm asking, because i'm considering to move it to nymph in Deities.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2017, 22:49:49 »
it's ok for my mage haruspex because it's physical/DoT build.. not much different from the Freddy Krueger build.. i know a guy who probably tries crazier builds than me but damn i can't pull him to this forum.. life got in the way for him
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline 1cec0ld

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2017, 22:55:50 »
Funny, this is actually my favorite Class, just because it relies 0% on stats. Since my pets/traps do all the damage, I can stand back and watch. All my pets died? I'm so far back that I can run off and recreate my army. Get some extra -%recharge and I'm trapmaster. Rebind my F7 key to Scroll Button on my mouse, my wolves go wherever I want them to. Its great for the Naked Hardcore Challenge, since I don't care about armor when I'm not in the fight. Get a good Puppetmaster's Staff with 6-7 energy regen, and suddenly there is no need for a potion ever again. It's quite relaxing, but Alastor Scourge of Acheron is the worst enemy I have to deal with. Enclosed space running for my life, or cheesing his room with traps for 20 minutes due to his pierce resists...

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2017, 23:05:05 »
that's why I'm an archer as well.. i hide in briar ward, cast plague, lethal strike, refresh, lethal strike

good of you to notice it doesn't rely on stats.. i kind of said the same thing the last part of my guide
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Thanatos

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 13 December 2017, 07:50:17 »
I have been running an Illusionist build with the idea of doing damage with Plague and Poison Gas Bomb. I don't know how well it will work out, but I'm experimenting with it.

I run into problems with The Undead who seem to be highly resistant to Poison. The modifier for plague called Susceptibility seems to lower enemies Poison resistance. Anyone tell me if Susceptibility lowers Poison resistance for Poison Gas Bomb as well?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Thanatos

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2017, 23:43:41 »
So can someone tell me if Poison build is viable across 3 difficulties? Is there any way of reducing Poison reduction outside of Susceptibility skill? I'm essentially playing a Poison caster (Plaguemancer). The Undead and Constructs take FOREVER to kill.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #11 on: 15 December 2017, 08:28:01 »
Honestly don't know.  Both poison and susceptability affect undead, but by how much I can't say.  For constructs max out disarm traps, that'll give you 128% damage to devices/constructions according to the AE TitanCalc.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Thanatos

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 15 December 2017, 12:21:31 »
Ah Thanks for the tip about Disarm Trap, that certainly helped with constructs and devices. I swear that Hero Device in Act 2 dungeon took me at least 10 minutes to beat!

Act 2 sure has a lot of Undead and Insectoids that seem to be highly resistant to poison, but I seem to be doing more damage to them as I level up my Plague and Envenom Weapon skills and modifiers. Every other type of mob dies instantly, it's quite funny the contrast sometimes.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Thanatos

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 15 December 2017, 23:54:15 »
I have another question. I Googled but to no avail...

Do poison skills stack? For example does plague stack with poison gas bomb?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 16 December 2017, 07:58:17 »
I have been away for quite a while.. Thanatos, while i encourage unconventional builds, i don't think plague and PGB alone can get you far.. the synergy would be like this:

the %poison from nightshade and toxin distillation should boost plague and PGB but flat poison from plague and PGB will not stack at least to my knowledge.. if it's DoT from weapon and skill, it should stack.. but if it's skill and skill, i don't think so.. for example EBD from distort reality and distortion wave does not stack.. knives are different though because they are considered weapons

i encourage you to try other skills or if you want, you can follow my guide (pets and traps with wraithlords).. I'm not saying you should go archer as well although it's not so bad, the synergies are there and also my combo: plague, lethal strike, refresh, lethal strike.. knives, pets and traps combo is ok too but i feel i kill faster with a bow.. it is safer though with knives
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal