Author Topic: What makes certain classes glass cannons?  (Read 3815 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline shed

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
What makes certain classes glass cannons?
« on: 15 February 2021, 06:24:35 »
First time post for me here....I've been playing TQ a little over a year now on Xbox.  It wasn't until a few months ago where I really started to dive into the game.  I purchased Ragnarok and Atlantis a couple months ago.  The hardest part for me was picking a class as my first toon to get through legendary difficulty.  Talk about paralysis by analysis!  I finally decided to roll with a Dragon Hunter and I have to say he's pretty powerful.  I just reached legendary and am in Act I.  My DH is not an accomplished hero btw.

I've been reading through quite a bit of the posts about class builds and my question is what makes a specific class a glass cannon?  It seems like 1000 DA is the benchmark for legendary difficulty and that you should shoot for capping primary resistances (exception being physical).  If you are able to do that then what else needs to be considered?  Attack damage converted to health is a godsend for me on this game.  I tend to rush into battle a lot! 

I see that Oracle, Sage and Brigand are all deemed glass cannons.  These are some classes that I have considered playing next.  What other classes are and what about them makes them a glass cannon?  For the Hunting tree you get a boost to DA through Wood Lore and can dodge projectiles through AotH.  Those are pretty solid defensive buffs.  Nevermind you get poison res and increased life regen from HR.   At least in Oracle I can see the difficulty in getting to 1000 DA, unless you sacrifice a significant portion of int for dex. However, Oracle has two great debuffs in Squall and Deathchill Aura (man if that radius wasn't so small).

In any case, all inputs appreciated. 

Thanks!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
Re: What makes certain classes glass cannons?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2021, 09:44:48 »
Glass or not depend on how you play and build it.
Like you think Oracle is glass one, but actually it's very solid class. Ravage of Time (Deathchill Aura), Squall/Obscured Visibility are very good skills to reduced enemies dmg, avoid projectiles attacks/skills. When enemies are under effect of those 2 skills at max lvl+4, their dmg are only about ~30%.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline shed

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2021, 22:01:51 »
Icefreeze! I have watched a bunch of your vids and they are great.  I just watched your Oracle ones.  Between your vids and botebote's post on conversion to elemental with an Oracle weapon based build I'm really tempted to build one next.  I prefer ranged weapons and like to mix in spells.  I did try a sage awhile back but it ended up being too squishy.  I didn't have the right gear which is why I plan to build one once I get some good legendaries.

What is your opinion on Lightning Bolt?  How does it hold up in legendary?  I like the skill and that it can be an AoE attack.  I've tried Concussive Blast but it just doesn't seem to work well in a mob.  The projectiles seem to need to land right on the enemy to stun it.

Thanks.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2021, 02:48:23 »
@shed Lightning Bolt has cooldown time, so you must using gears that have reduced recharge to using more often. And mix it with Thunder Ball, Squall, Spellbreaker,.. is good combo to filled up blank moment between 2 Lightning Bolt casts.
Concusive Blast (Thunder Ball) is almost for stun mob crowd purpose, it not deal really good dmg.
This is my Lightning caster Sage build, she using skills that have cooldown instead of Iceshards or weapon attacks:

You can raise output dmg by equip gears that has grant skill procs on attack too.

Gears can be tweak for your current gears too, mainly focus to reduced recharge.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Ninakoru

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2021, 17:39:15 »
The thing is that the benchmarks for defense are hard to come by, some classes have more defensive help than others. Dragonhunter is one of the class combos that have more innate defense value in their skills. DA from wood lore, but also poison res and vit/bleed res.

For a stable defense the values you need:

About 1000 DA - Maybe down to 850-900 if you are not being hit too much (ranged class), with 1000 DA you mostly avoid getting crit, maybe a few exceptions in Act V - Atlantis. With 850 DA you will get crit from time to time but the crit multiplier is not high.

Elemental and Pierce well past 60, ideally at cap (80), Vitality and Poison past 50, bleed just into the positives. You may need high bleed res in specific situations: Trolls in Act V, Golden Boar, Hell boar from Act 3, also Poison against Chimera or Cerberus. Vit capped for Hades, Fire capped for the last part of Act 5.

If possible, you will greatly appreciate at least 10-15% physical res, but is hard to come by: gear.

About 5k max health if you are not being hit, 6-7k for melee. If you have Nature, health is easy, if you have Defense, lots of health from mastery, otherwise...

There are many skill mechanics that let you avoid this hard benchmarks, as example, rogue poison and bomb avoid most of the damage between fumble and confusion, but that trick is very limited against bosses, so anyways you will want to get as close as possible to those benchmarks at endgame.

Ideally, you put in 350-400 dex and get the rest of the DA from gear and skills, unless dex-focus build. For health, if you don't have good mastery/skill support, is a good idea to spend a few attribute points from time to time. If you plan your build from Lvl 1 and you know your endgame gear beforehand, you maybe can skip investing in health. Mana is a few points if you don't get any from mastery/gear, but is just a quality of life feature (chug fewer energy pots) unless you cannot cast a skill due to not enough max energy.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal