Author Topic: The Turtles in Titan Quest (not the actual monsters)  (Read 11762 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
Re: The Turtles in Titan Quest (not the actual monsters)
« Reply #15 on: 11 June 2018, 12:27:31 »
Yes, that's the one. Although they're not invisible at the moment, for instance aforementioned squirrel before cyclop boss is an actual quest object.
Also I'd add this practice became obsolete in IT, most quest actions had a proper delay timer built in by that time, as far as I remember. Albeit squirrels are still in use to this day.

They could've added some squirrels to Ragnarok,.. the quest timing is horrible in Act V  ;D

I needed to talk to Wodan after he ran, but he wouldn't run unless I talked to him, and once he started running the dialogue cut off. The result was quite funny, as it made him look like some angry spoiled kid, rather than the allmighty Allfather.

By the way, does anyone know how to access the dialogue texts outside of the actual game? Stuff like the above happens a lot in Act V, and I also sometimes click through dialogue a little too eagerly, so I'm missing parts of lore. I'd like to read them casually afterwards.

To do this, you need to use ARCExplorer (https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titan-quest-immortal-throne-arc-explorer-tool/) and locate the ressources of your game, mine is here : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Titan Quest Anniversary Edition

Then go to the Text folder, and use ARCExplorer to open the text file with the language of your choice. From there, you will see different text files with self-explanatory names. Select the one(s) you desire and extract them.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: 11 June 2018, 12:31:28 »
@WNG

Thank I'll try that. I've beaten the game so many times anyway, so I don't feel like trying to read them ingame.

Not Yet Rated!

Online Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2018, 09:24:03 »
Ha, well I never knew that.  Found the article I think you mentioned Endymion and not that very long ago either - November 2017.  Here's the TQ bit.

"Without a doubt the hackiest thing I remember from Titan Quest is how we managed the event scripting. The quest / event tech had a major weakness in that there was no way to delay an action once it was triggered. So if you wanted something to happen 5 seconds after a player ran through some bounding volume, there was no way to set a delay. It would always be instant.
We were nearing the end of production, so it was hard to request additional features, as engineers were slammed just trying to meet their milestone deliverables. One of the QA testers had started helping out with scripting work, and figured out that there was in fact a way to delay an action from triggering based on the length of an animation.
He ended up using these squirrels we had as ambient creatures as the animation timer, and they became the default timing mechanism. He created an invisible version of the squirrel, which he would place in the levels where he needed them, then would time everything based on the duration of their idle animation. Because of his creative problem solving, he was promoted to designer on the next project."

Arthur Bruno
Owner / lead designer, Crate Entertainment

And my guess, comparing the design teams of TQ and IT, is it's the same Dave Kondor I mentioned.  In the TQ manual he's credited as being Q/A - Design Implementation, but in the IT one he's part of the design team.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/310570/Developers_share_their_most_memorable_dirty_coding_tricks.php

Got to post this over on the GD forum as well, I bet a lot of people don't know that.  :)

So Medierra was in a question answering mood over on the GD forum the other day so I asked him about this.

"And if you're still in a question answering mood Medierra still using this hack? Can't say I've noticed any squirrels lurking in GD, but then again being invisible you never know. Or maybe you've stepped it up a bit and it's now an invisible Zantai in his zentai suit that is the trigger.  ;D"

"Haha, no, we totally re-wrote the quest system for GD. Trying to make another game with the old TQ system would have been a nightmare and very limiting."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2018, 09:43:48 »
He ended up using these squirrels we had as ambient creatures as the animation timer, and they became the default timing mechanism.
"Haha, no, we totally re-wrote the quest system for GD. Trying to make another game with the old TQ system would have been a nightmare and very limiting."

I wonder though, whether this isn't exactly the issue with Ragnarok. We all know Ragnarok has its bugs, mostly quest related, and especially once you reach Valhöll. The delays seemed to be all messed up, and it apparently can't be patched. My guess is THQ Nordic didn't really know about the invisible squirrels, and used some other (inferior) mechanic instead.

Not Yet Rated!

Online Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #19 on: 15 November 2018, 09:54:26 »
From this it doesn't sound like it.

Yes, that's the one. Although they're not invisible at the moment, for instance aforementioned squirrel before cyclop boss is an actual quest object.
Also I'd add this practice became obsolete in IT, most quest actions had a proper delay timer built in by that time, as far as I remember. Albeit squirrels are still in use to this day.

Also mentioned in another post that some rats were used too so maybe Nordic haven't found all of them yet. Assuming it's not just bad design on their part to start with.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal