Author Topic: Am I unlucky, or are unique drops weird?  (Read 8425 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Am I unlucky, or are unique drops weird?
« on: 17 January 2018, 15:27:05 »
It took me a while to consider creating this thread, but by now I'm nearly convinced that either I have some really peculiar luck, or something's not right with the game's loot system.

It goes way back, in fact. Even when I first started the game, a good four-five years ago I think, I noticed that in Normal sets the torso armor tends to drop much less than the others (or not at all). Even now it still seems to be the case; I have the full Labyrinthine, Theban and Obsidian sets - all three are only missing the torso armor, while having multiple copies of the bracers and the greaves especially.

I've spent more than an entire character level now farming Aktaios on legendary (there are some things I'd really like for other characters, including a few things that only drop in legendary Egypt). I have three Alexander's Bracers; no other pieces of Alexander's set have ever dropped.

I have over ten Gorgon's Edges now from random drops like Bone Piles and Sepulchers. It's like the game really likes giving me that item for some reason. In Act V epic and Act I legendary, it was the Dwarfbiter I found everywhere similarly, I have six or seven pieces of that, too. Interesting, both are poison-focused.

According to the database, both epic Typhon and legendary Aktaios have the same chances to drop Eye of Flame and Polaris. I have seven of the former and none of the latter, and all Eyes of Flame I have have dropped from either of them.

I know that probability can produce some interesting things, but I can't help but think that the statistical odds of this kind of thing happening are nowhere near significant.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Pazuzu

• The Omnipotent
  • Forum Moderator
  • Keel
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Am I unlucky, or are unique drops weird?
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2018, 16:01:40 »
There were some items that kept dropping for me too, particularly sapros the corrupter, while i was having a harder time finding some other less rare items. I think the fapatch or one of the other patches fixed most of those problems especially while farming the hydra. Im only in normal in AE:R so i dont really know what's happening with the drops just yet. All i know for now is that i was able to find 3 pieces of the babylonian set on my runesmith, im in act 3 now and havent gotten a chest piece yet. We will see. The set parts are not that great, but combined together they give pretty nice boosts. Had to change my defender shield for the babylonian and lose +1 skills..
Corsair Carbide Air 540 - Asus Maximus VI Hero - Pentium G3258 5Ghz - Thermalright TS 140 Power - Samsung EVO 850 250GB - Corsair Dual Airflow Fan - Corsair Vengeance 8gb - Nvidia GTX 750Ti.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2018, 20:48:45 »
Yes, by the way, another thing regarding drops.

First, I got a Thorny Maul from a Bone Pile just outside the Tomb of Ramses. From what I remember, Thorny Maul drops only in Act I and Act III, so that was curious.

Later, a Majestic Chest inside the Tomb dropped... Sun Lu-Shan's Armor. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it as I never had it before and looks decent for melee and ranged characters with Hunting or Rogue, but... I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to drop in Egypt. I've noticed that Majestic Chests in Egypt usually have Act I loot, but I think Sun Lu-Shan's Armor is Act III only. So I don't know what's going on there.

Similarly, I've gotten Act V items in the Tomb of Ramses, occasionally even from a Royal Coffer (like Cloak of Fimbulwinter, which I similarly appreciated because I wanted one for another character I'm planning but just didn't have the patience to farm Surtr any further). So other than what I said above, I tend to see lots of out-of-place drops like that, too.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hal900x

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2018, 23:57:18 »
All I can do is subjectively confirm my perception that of all other ARPGs of this style, TQ has the most frustrating and seemingly non-random itemization issues. Like many, I have literally dozens of certain set pieces, artifacts and weapons while the one thing I am farming for won't drop. However, I cannot say for sure if it's broken or some mechanic we are not privy to, or simply the vagaries of RNG which is entirely possible. The thing is, it seems different from player to player. You might get a dozen Theban pieces while I have only ever gotten one, while I have so many Oracle pieces I just sell them now and yet you cannot find any.

Something I highly doubt is random: chest pieces are harder to come by than greaves/bracers. That cannot be a coincidence.

One thing that might help a little is resetting the seed by completely exiting the game, not just back to the title screen.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2018, 08:06:41 »
TQCollector says Sun Lu's should only drop in Epic and Legendary Orient.  I think what it may be is that when Nordic added new items they screwed up on where some of the items should drop - which would explain why you see them in Acts they're not supposed to drop in.

The RNG has always been a bit weird - as you say some people end up with loads of some items while other people never get any.  I can't tell you how many Bramblewood Bows and Mbuti's Spears I've had drop, but I'm still waiting for a pair of Batrachos Greaves from any difficulty after nearly 10 years of playing the game.  I have everything from the Normal melee Anouran side except those.  In contrast I've one exactly 1 Witch Doctor's Vestment and none of the other 2 pieces.  Missing more in Epic and Legendary since I don't get into those difficulties as much.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2018, 09:37:09 »
short answer: you're unlucky :)

I'm happy with my loot and i don't even farm.. I'm only unlucky on formulas.. I've had 1 other ragnarok formula that i can't remember.. I've checked with TQCollector recently and yep 3 dvalin's simulacrum and 1 other so 4 total now.. and i really don't care.. I'm too lazy to even farm much less complete an artifact  :)
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2018, 10:14:21 »
I'm happy with mine too.  I hate farming.  I did it a couple of times, once for Gorgon cuffs on all difficulties (ramped the drop rate for monsters up in TQDefiler and filtered everything below greens and above) and the other to get a Legendary armour off the Hydra in Legendary, but otherwise if it drops, it drops and if it doesn't well maybe it will some day.  :)  Although I don't find much new these days, when I do I'm really pleased - and of course the expansion gives me new opportunities to add to the collection once I get a few more toons that far into the game.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2018, 10:33:44 »
wysiwyg  :) speaking of SB cuffs, i remember i posted a guide a few months ago on how to farm it.. I'll find it and medea please decide if it's worthy that i post it in guidesAE section also  :)

edit: ah here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TitanQuestAE/comments/60sr7r/stonebinders_cuffs/

many people probably know this already so it might be helpful only for new players (the 1st comment was 301 days ago so about 10 months, it has been a while)
not necessary :D
« Last Edit: 18 January 2018, 11:44:41 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2018, 12:24:02 »
Yes, that's what I did.  I don't think I've ever had any SBCs drop in the Gorgon Sisters cave which seems to be the favoured spot for farming them, I've always got them from the MinoLab.  Plus it's a bit quicker to start at the last rebirth fountain in the MinoLab than it is to run through the mobs of skellies to get to the Gorgon cave.  Fire up the rebirth fountain, run back 4-5 rooms, exit to main menu and repeat.  Sometimes you need to exit the game completely to get the seed to change.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2018, 02:29:07 »
Farming generally bores me greatly, too. There are just always a few items I'd really like, either for my current character or another I have planned afterwards, and I just want to get them for later. And I prefer to be done with the less pleasant tasks before I go on to the ones I enjoy more, so I tend to get stuck farming a particular boss for a while before proceeding. But no matter, once I find what I'd like it suddenly starts dropping everywhere. It seems to be the way of things!

More importantly, I've seen items with affixes they were not supposed to have. Thinking back, when giving epic Surtr some runs for his loot, I remember an Eldjötunn dropping a piece of either arm or leg armor that had the Mountaineer's prefix. Later on when going at Aktaios I saw a Herculean Liuyedao - I think that's only on shields. I definitely have the Mountaineer's stored away, I'm not sure about the liuyedao, but I'll check.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2018, 02:33:37 by Firebrand »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2018, 02:39:37 »
More importantly, I've seen items with affixes they were not supposed to have.
Herculean does appear on sword although they are very rare, so Herculean Liuyedao is OK.
And yes, all dlc items, drop only, both MI and regular items, may have affixes that are not supposed to have in IT and AE. I don't know whether this is intentionally or bug, so I raised this question on steam. Until now devs have not replied to this and it has been a lot of patches and the situation is unchaged. So I guess devs choose to stay with the current affixes table, regardless of their initial ideas.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2018, 20:17:55 »
After lots of browsing through the boards, I found no better place for this. I got into Act IV legendary, and look what the very first merchant greets me with!

By the way, on the subject of the original topic, just after I posted in this thread before last time RNG decided it was vital to prove me right and gave me a Wrath of Jörmungardr from a Royal Coffer in the Tomb of Ramses. That thing actually looks pretty neat.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal