Author Topic: Tips On Character Building  (Read 18251 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Tips On Character Building
« Reply #15 on: 17 March 2020, 07:14:46 »
I've no idea.  That's something only Medierra, Westfaliah and Grava know probably.   ;D

For Ragnarok, again no list since it's digital, but I'd put them this way.

Melee: Berserker, Runesmith
Caster: Shaman, Skinchanger, Thunderer, Stonespeaker
Hybrid: Trickster, Dragon Hunter, Seidr Worker

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #16 on: 17 March 2020, 14:51:44 »
So classes listed as melee should only be built for melee combat? Same with casters built only as casters? What about hybrids? Can you focus on one mastery over the other, making that character either as a fighter or a mage?

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: 17 March 2020, 15:22:21 »
Well, if you know what you're doing you could probably make some full casters as melee, but it's not really recommended.  Casters can be either pet based or not, same for the melee/full melee classes - they can be played as full melee, i.e. up close fighting or as ranged mostly with some close fighting as backup.  For me personally if I choose Hunting as a mastery it's always going to be a bow user so ranged mostly.  Others may choose to focus on the spear side of Hunting and that would obviously be close fighting with no ranged to it.  I usually make sure all my melee characters have a bow as backup since there are some situations where it's simply safer, if slower, to use one. 

And yes, hybrids are just that - you focus more on the main mastery than perhaps you would otherwise for other classes.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: 17 March 2020, 18:02:11 »
I've seen on youtube this one person has made a whole bunch of builds, such as Stonespeakers, Skinchangers, or Thunderers, all of whom use dual throwing weapons. There are also staff using Bone Charmers, Templars, Haruspex's, or even mage Thanes, Paladins, Juggernauts, etc.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2020, 06:43:07 »
Yes, many classes can be built in different ways.  The main problem is how you spend your attribute points though.  Do you concentrate on str/dex if you're a Juggernaut or do you go more intel/dex with very little str to boost the magical side of things.  As I said it can be done, but you need to know what you're doing.  If you look at the link I posted of Irma2's build ideas you'll see for example that he has 3 different Evokers: caster, auramancer and melee.  Compare how he uses his skill points for the different builds.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: 18 March 2020, 06:45:50 »
well with Ragnarok and Atlantis, you now have more skill points. With some builds I tried on an online calculator, I had so many skill points left after getting the important skills, that it feels like the build would be redundant. For example, a staff using Haruspex or Bone Charmer.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: 19 March 2020, 07:21:13 »
Depends on what you call important skills, some can be one point wonders.   And what end level were you looking at?  With the disc version of the game, although the max cap is 75 it's rare to get anywhere near that unless you farm forever.   I usually finished Legendary around 60-61.  With the expansions I'd expect that to be in the mid-70s while the new cap is 85.  But yes, if you don't want to use the new skills then your character level can be quite low.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: 19 March 2020, 15:04:45 »
I have the Atlantis edition, so the maximum level for me is 85.

How do you know if a skill is a one-point wonder?

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: 24 March 2020, 06:44:18 »
Just by learning or reading guides.  Defense's Battle Awareness for example is usually only taken with one point because you really want to max out it's synergies Focus and Iron Will. 

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: 24 March 2020, 15:42:39 »
That person on Youtube who posted a whole bunch of builds is clearly using a mod that increases skill points cause I tried to make one of them on the Titan Quest Atlantic calculator taking into consideration the bonus skill levels from wearing certain items. So I think making those builds would be impossible without that mod, but seeing as how I am a purist, I don't want to use those kinds of mods. This means that classes made with the Hunting Mastery need to focus either on bows or spears, not both.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: 25 March 2020, 07:20:56 »
Hunting can be played either way.  Many people focus on the spear side giving that priority over the bow user side of things.  For me Hunting is always bow first so while I may carry a spear as a second weapon I usually don't bother to put any points into spear skills.  You can probably do both; it's just a question of what other skills you don't use instead from Hunting and whatever other mastery you pair it with. 

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: 25 March 2020, 15:17:27 »
I've put together a list of the classes and the ways they can be built when you invest more in one mastery over the other. For example, the Conqueror uses both Warfare and Defense Mastery. Investing more in the Defense mastery will mean the Conqueror will fight melee with a shield. Investing more in the Warfare mastery will have him/her turn out more fighting with dual weapons. A Battlemage investing more in Earth will turn out like a mage whereas more investment in Warfare will have him/her as a dual melee fighter. For all classes using Hunting, I have one build for specializing primarily in bows and another in spears. For all classes using Nature, I have one build that focuses heavily on pets to deal damage. For both Warfare and Defense, I have a build for each resulting class that focuses on melee combat. Ternion for Spirit. Casters for Earth and Storm or physical or elemental melee or ranged fighters. Dual Throwing for Rune. Melee or Caster for Dream. Melee or Casters with Knives with Rogue.  I came up with a total of 118 builds altogether!
« Last Edit: 26 March 2020, 22:12:18 by DwayneA »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: 31 March 2020, 06:58:21 »
I've come to the following conclusions about which classes deal the highest damage for certain types combining skills that increase those types of damage or reduce enemy resistance to those damage types:

Physical - Conqueror, Harbinger, Champion, Guardian, Spellbreaker, Spellbinder, Battlemage, Juggernaut, Evoker, Berserker
Piercing - Brigand
Fire and Burning - Elementalist, Conjurer, Summoner, Stonespeaker
Cold and Frostburn - Oracle, Thunderer, Druid
Lightning - Oracle, Thunderer, Druid
Electrical Burn - Prophet
Poison - Illusionist
Bleeding - Brigand, Bone Charmer, Warlock, Corsair
Vitality - Diviner
Pet Damage - Summoner, Soothsayer, Ritualist
« Last Edit: 31 March 2020, 07:11:20 by DwayneA »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: 23 April 2020, 06:08:29 »
I've learned that in the beginning, it is best to spend the majority of your skill points on your masteries, putting only one point into useful skills. Only once you have both masteries maxed should you start increasing your skill levels.

I found that for melee characters who use Defense as one mastery, that if you start with Defense, it is best to put one point each as soon as possible into Batter and Rend Armor for attacking multiple targets. A point each in Shield Smash, Disable, Pulverize, Shield Charge, Disruption, Adrenaline, Resilience, Defensive Reaction, Battle Awareness, Focus, Iron Will, and Colossus are also good.

By the way, I've noticed that certain skills have the same effect as others, so I'm wondering if one class that has access to both actually needs to include both of them for the build.

For example, Slayers have access to both War Wind and Spear Dance, both of which attack in a 360-degree circle. Guardians have access to Rally and Regrowth, both of which provide healing. Templars have Defiance for Rally and the Trance of Empathy which reflects physical damage back at your enemies.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: 23 April 2020, 07:01:17 »
Depends, you can use one while the other is on cooldown.  Shield Charge then War Wind then Shield Charge again for example.   If you're making a build reflecting damage then yes, having both in the Templar class makes sense.  Lots of different ways to build a character.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal