Author Topic: How to create/recolour a new monster using a old mesh ?  (Read 5105 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Online sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
How to create/recolour a new monster using a old mesh ?
« on: 11 January 2018, 21:50:55 »
So i want to understand and try the modding world , and its something i wanted to in long time , but i dont understand a thing how mooding tools works and stuff like that.

I would like create new monster types, champions and so on, just that,  but i have no clue, tried to use meshview tool (?) but im so confused, and im sure this isnt so hard after all.

If any expert on modding could explain, step by step would be so dam cool.

Have lots of monsters ideias to try out :(

After that how to increase the proxies and put the new ones in there ?
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
Re: How to create/recolour a new monster using a old mesh ?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2018, 16:03:07 »
Do you have your ArtManger set up? This is the most important step.

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titan-quest-how-to-create-a-custom-mastery-guide-by-poinas/

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2018, 16:49:34 »
I dont know much about the proxy question, but i can tell you some basic tips to recolor a texture.

Programs you need or are recommended:

1. ARZExplorer - for exracting the Creatures.ARC, Items.ARC, etc.
2. TQ Texture Tools - for extracting/complying textures from TEX to DDS Format and back.
3. Paint.Net - my personal choise for editing of textures. Its easier to use than Photoshop and you can download many plugins. Some people use Gimp, but i prefer this, becuz the interface is mor simple and user friendly.
4. MeshView - to quickly preview the changes you make to the texture.

1. First open ARZExplorer, go to File > Open and navigate to the ARC file containig the texture you want to change. Load the ARC file in ARZ explorer now you will see list of all textures in the ARC. Now go to Extract and you can choose to extract the entire ARC or just a single texture. I personaly prefer the first option, because you can see all similar textures to the one you are changing and later you can combine two or more textures together. Choose a destination folder and click extract.

2. Once you have extracted the ARC or the texture as TEX file(s), you can convert them to DDS format, readable from Paint.net and MeshView for editing. I'll tell you how to quickly extract multiple TEX files to DDS format. First go to TQ Texture Tools folder, and copy the 3 TQ Texture files (Compile, Extract and the DLL file). Paste them to the folder containing your extracted TEX files. Now with right click on empty space and from Windows folder options choose Group by File Type. You will now have the MSH files separate from TEX by section. Now select all TEX files and copy them, and then paste them over TQ.Texture.Extract.exe you have in the same folder. It will automatically convert all files to DDS. Now you are ready to recolor the texure.

3. Choose the DDS file of the creature you want to recolor and right click > open with > Paint.Net. Now play with the Hue/Saturation, until you like how it look. There are many options, and with plugins you can use many more, but for now just use the basic ones. It will take a much longer tutorial or video to explain how to use paint net.

4. You can load your custom texture in MeshView at the same time and preview every small change you make to the texture. To do it, open the base mesh in MeshView, and in Textures submenu click on path to the base texture. Now you will see 3 sections - "From File'', "..." , and "Reload". Click on "..." and browse to your recolored texture. Every time you make changes to the texture in Paint.Net and save them, in MeshView you can click on "Reload", and it will update to the latest changes you made.

5. After you are satisfied with your changes, in Paint.Net go to File > Save as... > Targa (TGA). In this format you can finally build the texture ingame with ArtManager.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or need any of the programs, just tell me. :)
« Last Edit: 12 January 2018, 17:04:05 by nargil66 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2018, 23:35:58 »
I always choose TARGA as opposed to DirectDrawSurface file to save from Texture Viewer. Do you have any preference nargil66? Does it make a difference?

The only reason I like targas is that I'm familiar old school with them and I don't need plugins in Paint.net

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2018, 02:53:49 »
MeshView can't quick preview Targa i think. Also its faster to convert dds back to tex with Texture Tools and replace the vanilla file for testing ingame. Thats the only two reasons i use dds.

Not Yet Rated!

Online sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2018, 20:44:46 »
thanks for the replys, i will try it soon, dont you mind making some tutorial videos ? would be more simple :)
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal