Author Topic: Felexitus' Hunter's Guide  (Read 7839 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Felexitus' Hunter's Guide
« on: 13 August 2018, 14:53:37 »
Hunting chars seem to be flavor of the week, now that people finally have good items and see the immense damage potential hunting offers. So they come here, ask how to start and I feel like im answering the same questions over and over so here it goes. these questions are always answered in terms of efficiency, i dont bother with flavour as thats something for people themselves to decide. also some stuff is simplified to allow easier reading. these are my perceptions. i do not claim to “know” i just dont know the difference between “feel” and “know”
1. Why do hunters deal so much damage?
2. Are Hunters always about pierce damage?
3. I want to create a hunter, do i make DEX or STR builds?
4. What are the equipment requirements?
5. What weapon should i choose?
6. Wich is the best build?
7. What are the advantages/disadvantages of Hunter builds?
8. All these builds suck because undead are immune to pierce!
9. OK i want to build a Hunter/X what skills do i need?
10. I have leftover points, can you tell me where to put them?
11. I heard good things about skill y. Do you recommend it?
12. How should i start distributing my skill points?
13. My hunter sucks i can hardly kill anything.
14. Any Equipment recommendations?
lets get started
1. Why do hunters deal so much damage?
Its due to the way piercing damage is calculated. hunting alone gives +201% piercing damage, and with a 25% piercing weapon that means each point of physical damage you get gives 0.75 points of piercing damage on top. now with good items you can easily stack about +550% pierce damage (2 apollos will, trackers hood and 50% from dex) meaning each point of physical damage gives 1,625 points pierce damage(again at only 25% piercing). That essentially makes a “+10% damage” mod a “+10% damage + 15% pierce damage”. you can see it easily stacks up from now on.
2. Are Hunters always about pierce damage?
No, only the high damage ones.
3. I want to create a hunter, do i make DEX or STR builds?
Str gives way more dps than dex does very easily. the dex amount you need to fulfill equipment requirements should be enough not to get critically hit. Right now Str is simply better.

4. What are the equipment requirements?
best bow: 438 dex
best spear: 404 dex
best interesting piece of armor: 394 dex
theres a set of gloves that gives +3 skills these have a requirement of 385 dex
5. What weapon should i choose?
Its better you decide that from the start and choose the mastery accordingly.

6. Wich is the best build?
Uh, i have no idea. But for the people who want an answer no matter what: Bone Charmer. Its the 2 best masteries out there combined, how can it possibly not be the best.
7. What are the advantages/disadvantages of Hunter builds?
Now thats something i can at least try to answer.
a) Bone Charmer(Spirit):
+ Unearthly power, Outsider, Liche King, Anti Undead skills
– no real synergies here
b) Sage(Storm):
+ Squall to eliminate enemy archers, nice elemental damage bonuses, stuns, heart of frost to make sure an opponent wont hit you twice
– 2 different base damage types means one will always lack potential
c) Avenger(Earth)
+ Core Dweller, Stone form, strong “melee” via eruption
– looking at skills avengers have the worst dps of all hunter builds, also taunt isnt that great when you onehit everything.
d) Ranger(Nature)
+ Wolves, great buffs, permanent call up, imo best archer build out there
– Melee doesnt work as well with these skills as bows do.
e) Slayer(Warfare)
+ if you get your hand on thorny maul + sapros the corrupter its the highest dps build out there plus you get Bosskiller Ancestral horn.
– Battle Standard isnt that great with Thorny Mauls. As long as you dont get thorny maul Slayers actually have worse dps than rangers. Also they lack defense.
f) Brigand(Rogue)
+ awesome synergies between traps and hunting, also both masteries like piercing damage. great defensive skills, specializing on not getting hit. Highest damage hits possible with Lethal strike(even if others get mauls), traps(deserve to be mentioned twice), as long as you dont have thorny mauls by far the highest dps.
– cant use thorny maul with Lethal strike, cant use blade honing with bows. poison isnt that effective on your melee weapon since you just killed what you poisoned. when other classes get the maul, your dps rank drops heavily, very bad damage soaking capability
g) Warden(Defense)
+ masteries greatly(perfectly?) complement each other, far better survivability, great dps boni with shields, colossus form
– Defense wants melee
h) Hunter
+ still awesome dps
– hardly any defense.

8. All these builds suck because undead are immune to pierce!
1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9..10…better
Nothing is immune to pierce. Hunter damage is so much that its not easy knowing the difference between them hitting skeletons and other chars hitting anything. even if something had 100% resistance(and thats NOT immunity) you can just drop a study prey on them and beat them senseless.
9. OK i want to build a Hunter/X what skills do i need?
In this case ill assume you want a mainstream high pierce damage hunter. The skills you want for that are:
Study Prey: enables you to kill everything and drops bosses like nothing else. This is the best hunter skill imo(even after the patch).
Art of the Hunt: + piercing damage works on everything not just beasts/beastmen.
Call of the hunt/Exploit Weakness: + piercing damage and attack speed.
Volley: awesome trigger skill, you can drop it when you use thorny mauls, it doesnt work with them
Wood Lore: + attack speed with the slowest weapons in the game and DA is always nice. again drop when you get mauls
Now ill Assume you want some defense too, at least the little Hunting has to offer. the skills you might want here are
Find Cover: Archers kill you in Legendary like nothing else. Get it.
Trail Blazing: -100% Entrapment duration is a good thing. you might want to put only 1 point in it though.
If youre an archer you will get Marksmanship anyway but the only real important skill in the Marksmanship line is Puncture shot arrows. The others are neglectible. Scatter Shot is only good when you max it, Marksmanship does hardly anything to your damage.
10. I have leftover points, can you tell me where to put them?
I Hate that question: the game lets you rebuy your skill points at any given time. TRY OUT YOURSELF!
11. I heard good things about skill y. Do you recommend it?
see above
12. How should i start distributing my skill points?
That very much depends on your build. Hunters need high levels to truly shine, therefore its often easier to start on the second class first and later reskill to hunting skills. Hunting itself wont give you an easy way through Normal like storm, rogue, spirit, earth or nature do
13. My hunter sucks i can hardly kill anything.
Get levels and go farm. as stated above Hunters need high levels to shine. Undead will give you a hard time till you get Study Prey.
14. Any Equipment recommendations?
Apollos Will and Trackers Hood are the best items to modify your dps = let it raise to the extreme. While Legendary weapons are alright, Magical Counterparts are usually better. A Collosal Assyrian Longspear of Annihilation (this ones not THAT hard to buy) socketedw with a Legendary peng claw for 25-45 damage and +20% damage outdamages any legendary spear. funny thing: an epic spear is better than all legendaries: Penetrating Spear of Ko k’Bi. it has 50% piercing making it extremely strong.
Thanks go out to the devs for making the game, Phillip Marcus for that awesome Knowledge thread. Xaece for doing all the number juggling im too bored to do, terrawen and viperace for helping me establish brigands(though viperace seems to have a different view on them) ;-). Also thanks to Galefury for all the new content including that awesome Rare Affix/Suffix collection.
Now good luck on starting your Bone Charmers and have fun!
Corrections
1. During the calculations showing that improving physical damage is actually more beneficial than improving pierce damage i ignored the fact that the percentage the wepoan deals as piercing is actually lost in the physical damage.
that said, the low physical damage we do i say its neglectable, our physical damage should hardly ever exceed armor anyway, making that lost 0.25 damage a mere 0,083 damage really lost
-Guide by Felexitus

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titan-quest-hunter-guide/

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal