Author Topic: 2-handed weapons posibilities  (Read 5503 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline losfer

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
2-handed weapons posibilities
« on: 14 December 2021, 14:00:45 »
Hello everyone!
I have an idea to create 2-handed weapons (swords, mallets, great axes, etc...) mod. But I'm completely new in TQ modding tools, so I'm looking forward for some ideas or help to understand how to start.
Several questions here:
1) Is it possible to use creatures animations for character mesh? For example, maenads and terracote warriors have great animations for two-handed weapons. Is it possible to replace basic female hit animations with related ones?
2) I'm ok if character will handle any one-handed weapon with 2-handed animation, I just want to create viking warrior with 2-handed axe or highlander with claymore sword and run through the entire game with one weapon type. So dual weapons or sword/shield is not necessary at the same time with two-handers.
3) Is it possible to create separate weapon type? Like sword/spear/bow and so on.
4) Is it possible to rescale any item mesh without 3d modelling tools?
5) Does anyone knows any creature, what have another great two-handed weapon animations? For example, 2-handed maces require a bit different hand positions to handle it.

Thanks a lot for any help!

P.S. I know, that there is already some thread about 2-handed weapons, but it's quite old and author just looking for existing mod. I'm ready to make some experiments with tools, but I need some ground. Maybe more experienced guys know, that it's impossible to do 2-handers, because some engine limitations or huge amount of work to do.

Rated 1 time
Excellent

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: 2-handed weapons posibilities
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2021, 18:17:22 »
« Last Rated on: 20 December 2021, 07:22:35 »
1) Is it possible to use creatures animations for character mesh? For example, maenads and terracote warriors have great animations for two-handed weapons. Is it possible to replace basic female hit animations with related ones?
2) I'm ok if character will handle any one-handed weapon with 2-handed animation, I just want to create viking warrior with 2-handed axe or highlander with claymore sword and run through the entire game with one weapon type. So dual weapons or sword/shield is not necessary at the same time with two-handers.
3) Is it possible to create separate weapon type? Like sword/spear/bow and so on.
4) Is it possible to rescale any item mesh without 3d modelling tools?
5) Does anyone knows any creature, what have another great two-handed weapon animations? For example, 2-handed maces require a bit different hand positions to handle it.
There are quite a few problems with this idea, but it's not impossible to do. If you're really up to doing that, I'll try to list some of the obstacles you may face. To answer your questions:

1. For the most part yes, but there are some problems, which you have to address. The first problem is animation speeds. For example, all character attack animations are 25 frames, while maenad one-handed animations are 29-37 frames, which is slower. You have to calculate the difference and increase the new animations speed in the modified character animation table. E.g. to set an animation of 37 frames to have the speed of 25 frames, you have to increase it's speed inside the character animation table by roughly 33-35%:
Spoiler for Hiden:
This is because 37 frames - 25 frames = 12 frames, which is 1/3 of 37 frames.
Second problem is that often the skeleton structure of the meshes is different. I haven't tried, but i assume that a male character using a maenad 2-handed animation may hold the weapon in not the exact position you need. But you have to test to see.

2. The problem here is you can't exclude the shield from 1-handed animations. So you have two options: a) replace staff or bow animation slots entirely with 2-handed weapon slots. Currently there is no way to add a new weapon type to the game. I have requested to the devs before to add more empty weapon types (for any purpose like 2-handed weapons, fist weapons or mounted combat) but they ignored my request. So you are stuck with either replacing an existing weapon type, or the second option is to just fake it and make all shields invisible when using one-handed weapons (this is doable by replacing Bone_L_Weapon of the given one-handed animation with a shrinked bone with the same name, using Animation Composer and Animation Bone Renamer). Depends on what suits your goals better.

3. As i said in previous answer, not possible. And i wouldn't rely on the devs to ever implement such a feature.

4. Yes, it's possible, using Tamschi's Mesh View. It's quite easy to do actually.

5. You may check all existing creature animations using the default Viewer program that comes with the game, and find the ones that fit your needs. But teracotta/maenad should do for a start.

I hope that helps. If you have more questions, let me know.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline losfer

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2021, 19:03:04 »
Wow, thank you so much for such a great and full answer!
Honestly I have created that post hoping for exactly your answer ;) I love your modification so much, they are awesome \m/

You inspered me to give it a try, so I will start making some "proof of concept" for 2h weapon posibilities!

P.S. I'm not very interested in male character animations, just because your female models are just way too hot and sexy to ignore them =) Especially NewSkins meshes)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline losfer

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2021, 08:27:22 »
Hello everyone!

Want to share some updates about my experiments. First of all, I have some progress and first results are inspiring! Maenad one-handed animations looks great with nargil66 female meshes:
Spoiler for Hiden:

4. Yes, it's possible, using Tamschi's Mesh View. It's quite easy to do actually.
5. You may check all existing creature animations using the default Viewer program that comes with the game, and find the ones that fit your needs. But teracotta/maenad should do for a start.

I follow nargil66 tips, but stuck on the next step:
1) Find good animations for all attacks/special moves/strikes. I have some ideas, but I can't preview them, because for some reason my TQ Viewer tool is not working  :(
It's loading, but I can't preview any mesh. It seems selected and I can choose animation, but preview area is always empty.
Spoiler for Hiden:

2) Rescale at least one sword item a bit to make in longer as two-hander, but Mesh View tools also seems broken for me :(
I have tried both MeshView and MeshView Fixed versions of Tamchi tool.
They are loading, but when I select some meshes it shows me an error:
Spoiler for Hiden:

I still can load some meshes, but not interesing ones:
Spoiler for Hiden:

MeshViewer tool by Tamchi is also not working for me, after mesh loading there are no any errors, but preview area is empty:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Maybe I need to extract some additional resources to be able to work with meshes?

Is it only issue of mine? I have isntalled fresh vcredists (2005,2008,2012) and .NET Framework 4.0. Maybe someone faced the same problems?

Rated 1 time
Excellent

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2021, 16:57:10 »
« Last Rated on: 22 December 2021, 06:50:00 »
I follow nargil66 tips, but stuck on the next step:
1) Find good animations for all attacks/special moves/strikes. I have some ideas, but I can't preview them, because for some reason my TQ Viewer tool is not working  :(
It's loading, but I can't preview any mesh. It seems selected and I can choose animation, but preview area is always empty.
Spoiler for Hiden:

Viewer became broken for me too after installing EE, no clue what the reason is. Older Viewer versions stopped as well, but in my case they all just refuse to start up.
However, there is another way you can preview animations without needing Viewer. Try unpacking all animations you want to test in "creatures/pc/female/anm" folder, inside your main game Database directory (similar to addon mods). To quickly preview any of these animations on the character, rename it to femalepc_idle.anm and restart the game. This will change the default standing animation to your new one. If it is what your need, rename it again to the actual name the animation will use and do the same steps with the other testing animations. This method is a bit slower, but it works. I used it a lot before knowing about Viewer.

2) Rescale at least one sword item a bit to make in longer as two-hander, but Mesh View tools also seems broken for me :(
I have tried both MeshView and MeshView Fixed versions of Tamchi tool.
They are loading, but when I select some meshes it shows me an error:
Spoiler for Hiden:

I still can load some meshes, but not interesing ones:
Spoiler for Hiden:

MeshViewer tool by Tamchi is also not working for me, after mesh loading there are no any errors, but preview area is empty:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Maybe I need to extract some additional resources to be able to work with meshes?

Is it only issue of mine? I have isntalled fresh vcredists (2005,2008,2012) and .NET Framework 4.0. Maybe someone faced the same problems?

That's a very weird problem... Have you tried making MeshView your default program, and then just double click on the mesh? Can you give an example of a mesh that triggers this error? BTW, you can also increase the size of any item by editing the "Scale" entry in "ActorVariables" tab of the item DBR:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Not Yet Rated!

Offline xiaorantu

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +8
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2021, 05:41:36 »
 a game called “Grim Dawn ” which  Dev. by the Same group . It has this new class(2-hand weapon). However,  it cannot drop in the TQ

your may created new anim,new weapon,but new class cannot drop!!!
so we should Solve this problem first
« Last Edit: 22 December 2021, 05:55:23 by xiaorantu »

Not Yet Rated!

Online HekTo

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2022, 18:29:01 »
Sorry for the necroposting.
I post this (video) only for those modders who will look for an answer to this question in the future (is it possible to implement a two-handed weapon).
My only goal was to show that this is possible, so I used the maenad animations as animations, replacing all the animations of the female character with them (i.e. if you make a normal mod that replaces animations only for a certain weapon class, everything will work fine, and not like in the video where the animations of other weapons look weird)
Spoiler for Video:

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2022, 18:53:23 »
How did you enable these visible boxes and lines?

Not Yet Rated!

Online HekTo

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2022, 19:21:18 »
How did you enable these visible boxes and lines?
This is my modified Game.dll.
I have a lot of modifications in dll files (increased game speed (more than can be increased in game settings); respawn to the point of death, not to the fountain; tooltips disabled (as a modder I get tired of constantly disabling them for new characters), even on the video shows that there were no hints  :) and much more).
These are the same boxes and lines that are shown with the character.logData console command, I just always have them on by default.

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2022, 20:54:43 »
That sounds great! Can you make more complex modfications - say, adding a new item slot? If there was an item slot in inventory that can equip a specific type of template (Armor_Clothing.tpl) that would make possible to implement our own transmogrify system in Titan Quest. I'm looking for a person that can edit the game code, because i don't know how to do it :(

Not Yet Rated!

Online HekTo

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2022, 21:10:12 »
Unfortunately, my knowledge will not be enough to implement this (add something new).
Even if we take the two-handed weapon mod as an example, I did not add a new two-handed weapon class, but simply replaced one-handed throwing with two-handed in the code.
I usually deal with porting modifications for the android version of the game. For example, modifications have already been ported: Cataclysm, Chuck Norris, Itemus, ShopMI and more.

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2022, 21:19:31 »
Hmm, how about unlocking hardcoded stuff? For example, after Eternal Embers the Caravan Transfer stash size is no longer moddable. No idea why they locked it.
Sorry for the off-topic btw.

Edit: Another idea - is it possible (if you can't add new things) to modify one of the ring slots to equip the above mentioned template?
« Last Edit: 12 October 2022, 21:38:25 by nargil66 »

Not Yet Rated!

Online HekTo

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2024, 19:24:04 »
Sorry for necroposting, but I don’t know where to add this)) I decided to make a transmog for myself yesterday. In general, I can’t call it perfect, but I like it :)
Spoiler for Video:

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2024, 20:06:05 »
Wow... that's amazing. How did you do it?

Not Yet Rated!

Online HekTo

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2024, 21:46:39 »
As you can see from the video, these are not “real” items, but relics in which the bitmap is taken from the replacement item.
In the bounce mod, relics are created in the files (.dbr) dropMeshOverride with .msh from the desired item.
Also, automatically after starting the game, a dll is injected that slightly changes the code. Every time a user tries to apply a relic that does not have an empty dropMeshOverride (I haven't checked, but I'm sure all relics from the original game do not use dropMeshOverride) my dll gets the value from dropMeshOverride and uses it to replace the original .msh. I made it so that it does not depend on or affect the original relics, so that such modified "relics" are not applied (not added) to the item (normal relics are applied).
Also, if an item has “effects” (like Yin and Yang from the video), then the first time it (the modified relic) is applied without effects, and if effects are needed, it must be applied again.
Problems:
1. Objects in the character window and in the “portrait” (upper left corner) do not change. Actually, I don't care, even I can't fix it.
2. If you throw away a “modified” item, it will become “normal”. This doesn’t bother me either, on the contrary - if the item was “changed” constantly, then  I would have to “rack my brain” to come up with a way to “clean” the item.
3. “Changes” to an item are not saved in any way, even if you simply exit to the main menu, the changes disappear. Yes, this is a serious problem, but I do not exclude the possibility that I can come up with something. But for now, I made sure that “modified” relics do not disappear from the inventory after use (normal ones still disappear).
4. Equipment uses different .msh for female and male characters, in this test version you need to create different relics for female and male characters. But I know how to fix it, I’ll do something like (in dbr): dropMeshOverride,Female.msh;Male.msh, and then in the code I’ll use the required .msh depending on the gender

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal