Author Topic: New content idea for titan quest!  (Read 5613 times)

Offline gletsos

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
New content idea for titan quest!
« on: 26 January 2021, 13:55:48 »
Hello everybody!
in this topic I want to ask about your opinion about my idea on new content in titan quest atlantis!
Please do not answer to general questions on whether it would be better to just fix the current issues, or remake it with a new engine, or create Titan quest 2 e.t.c.
I was thinking that the reason the previous addition (with the final tier skills) was not so satisfing because the advancement through masteries was quite enough, though the new skills were still welcome! 
The way to renew the game that I want to share is adding class skills.
Every class could have its own special skills apart from those from the masteries.
That way the class selection could have a deeper meaning, and it would add to the lore of the hero as it would suggest that a class has its unique talents independently of the general ones (belonging to masteries).
On top of that it would give reason to create every class in the game even if it is not strong depending on the individual masteries!
It would also motivate the production of new items to support all the new heroes that one may be inspired to create (so new items that you would care to drop!)
I know that this may demand a lot of work from the developers but I would like to see Titan Quest grow even bigger and I call you who want the same thing to participate in this conversation!  :)

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: New content idea for titan quest!
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2021, 23:14:02 »
do you mean, for example: oracle - spirit has its own skills, storm has its own skills, but when you choose them together, you get new skill/s available only to oracle

i thought about this before and frankly i looked at if it's possible to mod. but 5-10 mins in and i thought i just don't have the time nor the will to learn modding, much less actually mod the game

but yeah i think it's interesting
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Offline soa

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2021, 00:32:14 »
I thought about this once for a mod. The skill trees only have 30 slots, only 8-9 or so left in vanilla (only 2-3 a few years ago), that's not much but now you can imagine taking 4 or 5 of these slots for class skills.
You would end up with 45 skills this way, 1 per class.
Maybe it's even possible to squeeze two special skills per class (90 in total) this way if you remove a few skills in some masteries.

This would need to be tested but setting the skill dependancy to another mastery bar, it should be possible to restrain those skills to specific classes.

Other ways would involve adding those skills to hidden trees (those for scrolls, etc.) and grant the player points to the class skill through quest actions, checking the current masteries.
Possibly items could allow bonuses to those skills.

Another option would be a completely separate tree, that would be dedicated to your class, but I think that's out of a mod reach, at least for now (or you need to break an existing mastery...)
« Last Edit: 27 January 2021, 00:45:52 by soa »
Soulvizier for AE, Ragnarok and Atlantis [released] :
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1201.0  / Discord : https://discord.gg/qs9t6AA
Overhaul mod with many new monsters, skills, items, features, balance and bugfixes. Increased difficulty.

Offline gletsos

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2021, 11:16:56 »
do you mean, for example: oracle - spirit has its own skills, storm has its own skills, but when you choose them together, you get new skill/s available only to oracle

i thought about this before and frankly i looked at if it's possible to mod. but 5-10 mins in and i thought i just don't have the time nor the will to learn modding, much less actually mod the game

but yeah i think it's interesting

Unfortunately neither me have the knowledge and time to spend in such a task!
But the idea seems appealing to me and I thought that if the conversation finds a lot of interested people it could also interest the developers.
Thanks for responding!
Also, when you say modding do you mean creating something by yourself or just add an existing mod to your game?
Because if that is the case I may explain it.
If you have the game on steam you can find TQ in your library, go to workshop and there, there are the mods.
Select one, and in the page you will get, do subscribe. When you enter the game now choose custom quest.
Just create a new player with mods so you don't mess up your saves.

Offline gletsos

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2021, 11:32:04 »
I thought about this once for a mod. The skill trees only have 30 slots, only 8-9 or so left in vanilla (only 2-3 a few years ago), that's not much but now you can imagine taking 4 or 5 of these slots for class skills.
You would end up with 45 skills this way, 1 per class.
Maybe it's even possible to squeeze two special skills per class (90 in total) this way if you remove a few skills in some masteries.

This would need to be tested but setting the skill dependancy to another mastery bar, it should be possible to restrain those skills to specific classes.

Other ways would involve adding those skills to hidden trees (those for scrolls, etc.) and grant the player points to the class skill through quest actions, checking the current masteries.
Possibly items could allow bonuses to those skills.

Another option would be a completely separate tree, that would be dedicated to your class, but I think that's out of a mod reach, at least for now (or you need to break an existing mastery...)

You have a lot of feedback to give man!
Thanks for responding!
As I also replied before I do not have the knowledge and time to mod myself.
But anyway I like the fact that the idea is on table.
I didn't know that there are only limited free slots for new skills.
This complicates things.
Isn't it possible to create new slots?
Also the ideas on getting bonuses by completing some sort of special quests sounds interesting.
It could also be condition that you have to fulfil in order to unlock this tree, among others, like filling the mastery trees.

Offline soa

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2021, 22:55:03 »
Thanks for responding!
This complicates things.
Also the ideas on getting bonuses by completing some sort of special quests sounds interesting.
It could also be condition that you have to fulfil in order to unlock this tree, among others, like filling the mastery trees.
It's not possible to add a new mastery in a mod, you have to replace an existing one. It's also not possible to add more than 30 skills in a mastery.
You even have to modify the skills templates to get beyond 24. I asked the devs for more than 24, and they gave 30, which is better than nothing but still very limiting for new ideas.
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1201.0  / Discord : https://discord.gg/qs9t6AA
Overhaul mod with many new monsters, skills, items, features, balance and bugfixes. Increased difficulty.

Offline gletsos

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2021, 12:29:45 »
Thanks for responding!
This complicates things.
It's not possible to add a new mastery in a mod, you have to replace an existing one. It's also not possible to add more than 30 skills in a mastery.
You even have to modify the skills templates to get beyond 24. I asked the devs for more than 24, and they gave 30, which is better than nothing but still very limiting for new ideas.
Well if you cannot create a new mastery I guess that you practically cannot just add the class trees to the game.
The skills have to be inserted to the existing trees which does not seem to be so satisfing as a new feature.
Except if it is possible to have the new skills in a new interface even if technically they belong to the old trees.

Offline soa

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2021, 21:48:39 »
Well if you cannot create a new mastery I guess that you practically cannot just add the class trees to the game.
The skills have to be inserted to the existing trees which does not seem to be so satisfing as a new feature.
Except if it is possible to have the new skills in a new interface even if technically they belong to the old trees.
If we're talking about a mod, you won't be able to create a new tree/new tab to put the class skills, you will have to spread them across the existing trees and you won't be able to add more than one or two skills per class. Or you would need to completely remove one mastery and use its tree for class skills.
It should be possible to display the class skills in a special way in the current Mastery trees (special borders around the icon, place them all on the top of the tree...) to make them stand out. Or you can create a special zone at the top of the tree with a specific background.
For instance, Spirit tree can hold all class skills for Spirit + Warfare/Hunting/Rogue/Defense/Nature, and Spirit + another Mastery class skills would be in the tree of those other Masteries.

You can also create new skills that are not in any tree, they would pop in the player bar when you achieve a quest for example (like when you equip an item that grants an active skill).
And you wouldn't be able to remove the points.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2021, 21:51:58 by soa »

Offline soa

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2021, 21:51:13 »
-

Offline gletsos

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2021, 14:12:47 »
If we're talking about a mod, you won't be able to create a new tree/new tab to put the class skills, you will have to spread them across the existing trees and you won't be able to add more than one or two skills per class. Or you would need to completely remove one mastery and use its tree for class skills.
It should be possible to display the class skills in a special way in the current Mastery trees (special borders around the icon, place them all on the top of the tree...) to make them stand out. Or you can create a special zone at the top of the tree with a specific background.
For instance, Spirit tree can hold all class skills for Spirit + Warfare/Hunting/Rogue/Defense/Nature, and Spirit + another Mastery class skills would be in the tree of those other Masteries.

You can also create new skills that are not in any tree, they would pop in the player bar when you achieve a quest for example (like when you equip an item that grants an active skill).
And you wouldn't be able to remove the points.
Since you have given me this information I am curious to try myself.
Is it possible for anybody to mod?
Do you have the game's interface when modding, or you need to write the code yourself?

Offline Ninakoru

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2021, 20:02:41 »
This is a quite interesting idea.

I didn't tinker with the skill trees too much but maybe is possible to replace certain skills with others when certain class combinations are in place.

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2021, 10:20:01 »
Not very related to the class skills idea, but there is a crude way to include up to 20 masteries in a single mod, depending on the character you play. Male can have one skill tree, female another. You can switch between the two mastery selection screens via the HUD options:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Here is a small working mod if someone wants to test:
https://mega.nz/file/AHp2hBhQ#f9YdhY3pYfTPmlPuMNKyJCJKv_4CxNE99twNGPoVAkM
Of course, you cant mix between male/female masteries, but its still not bad for testing mastery mods or switching between a mastery mod and vanilla.

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2022, 20:29:55 »
One of the DLC's introduced the Quest condition "Has Mastery X".

This opens some possibilities.

An existing quest's quest file could be altered to determine different rewards for each class and then the reward can be tailored for that class, for example an Artifact recipe that grants a class specific skill when equipped.

So it would look like
New Condition
   Has Mastery (Warfare)
   Has Mastery (Defense)
Action
   Give Item (Recipe)

Just repeat that for every class combo.

Offline Vio

• aka Violos
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2022, 22:15:49 »
You can actually see this done in Spellforce 3's expansions which both use a TQ-like class system.

Good for balancing classes by giving an extra boost to less than optimal combinations.
The main reason against it is that you'll make a bunch of skills that many players will never get to see.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal