Author Topic: Adding Custom Music and Ambient Sound tracks  (Read 7657 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
  • Formerly 'Nefer' of the tq.net forums.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Adding Custom Music and Ambient Sound tracks
« on: 23 February 2019, 05:07:51 »

This topic has come up a number of times and is documented in various places such as here: https://titanquest.fandom.com/wiki/In_Game_Music

But I bring it up here again to once and for all try and find definitive answers on how this is done - and perhaps more importantly, why the commonly found instructions need further elaboration. 

I've followed the instructions in that link, and consulted other sources, but it just doesn't work for me.  Maybe for others this works as it should? Idk, maybe I'm missing something painfully obvious here. 

In my case;
a. I import my custom music/ambient sound tracks (mp3) in the Sources tab of the AM
b. Then auto create asset.  New music shows up in Assets tab
c. Build this.
d. Manually copy my changes (my mod under CustomMaps) from Documents directory to Game directory
e. Open Editor, select Layer tool and then Sound Layer.  Create new Layer.
f. Open music/sounds database list using ellipsis
g. .......No sign of my new music anywhere within the massive list  :( >:(

Sigh.  So I go back to the AM and have a search around, try and see if I made a mistake or missed something.  Heck, even look into alternative ways at getting this to work.  Still no success.

So, any help?

~  Anything new for TQ? Experience what Unearthed Studios NZ has been up to with the release of Eternal Embers! - Website: https://www.unearthedstudiosnz.com/ ~

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
Re: Adding Custom Music and Ambient Sound tracks
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2019, 19:29:00 »
Wait...

Did you add the .mp3 to assets and build and then create a .dbr file in the AM?

The list of music in the map editor is dbr files in the AM.

You have to create a music .dbr file and add your built .mp3 to that and then save and build to see it in the Map Editor.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2019, 10:32:19 »

Yeah so in the AM I have the .mp3 file in Assets.  Built this.  Then in the Database tab created a new 'InGameMusic' directory, imported an existing vanilla event music theme .dbr, made my own copy then opened it and added my new .mp3 file to the appropriate field which I understand is 'eventmusicname' variable in the Sound Properties section. 

Built this and exited AM.  Copied changes over to installation directory.  Opened up Editor up and in the Layer tool went to 'sounds' etc, opened the Database list for music/sounds and scrolled through this, still nothing showing.  Also put CAPS for the custom .dbr file so that if it does show up I won't miss it.

So is that basically what you have done BG? You've got music showing up in that list??

~  Anything new for TQ? Experience what Unearthed Studios NZ has been up to with the release of Eternal Embers! - Website: https://www.unearthedstudiosnz.com/ ~

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Endymion

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2019, 13:19:09 »
Editor's Sound layer takes .dbrs only from the following directories:
records\sounds\
records\xpack\sounds\
records\xpack2\sounds\

You'll have to build your record under one of them in order to use it in the Sound layer.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2019, 12:11:29 »
Did have any sucess in adding extra music into game ? Prosoro ?

Im thinking  adding extra music into game as well.

Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2019, 06:02:28 »
Hey Sauruz,

Yeah I did have success eventually  :)  and have been meaning to update this with how I got it to work.  When/if I get time tonight I'll post something here

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline undefind

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -1
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2019, 01:34:36 »
Any progress on how you did this?

Was wondering if there was a way to add/replace the default sounds an item makes when it drops based on rarity.
My mods and some other mods

https://mega.nz/#F!v5tGhawJ!BeMd_SSWpWZAeG4h3F2YFg

ATTENTION! .arz must be the same name as the name of the mod. i.e. custommaps --> DropSounds + Massbosses + Mis are epic + affixes are common

Database needs to have that long name (or change folder name)

Also on Steam

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2019, 04:22:17 »
That would be an entirely different story. You would need to go inside an item .dbr and modify the sound effect in Item Parameters -> dropSound3D.

Since many items have different sounds and you want to give each a sound depending on rarity, you would most likely need to do it manually.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline undefind

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2019, 04:56:36 »
That would be an entirely different story. You would need to go inside an item .dbr and modify the sound effect in Item Parameters -> dropSound3D.

Since many items have different sounds and you want to give each a sound depending on rarity, you would most likely need to do it manually.

i just finished doing it. downloaded a mp3 of a gong sound and modified the drop sound for all epic and legendary items.

related note. anyone know why i cant open 1h throwing ranged weapons? says it couldnt find the template.

ATTENTION! .arz must be the same name as the name of the mod. i.e. custommaps --> DropSounds + Massbosses + Mis are epic + affixes are common

Also on Steam

Not Yet Rated!

Offline soa

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2019, 07:45:05 »

i just finished doing it. downloaded a mp3 of a gong sound and modified the drop sound for all epic and legendary items.

related note. anyone know why i cant open 1h throwing ranged weapons? says it couldnt find the template.

If you have Ragnarok, maybe you should update your templates (Help/Install Templates)
Soulvizier for AE, Ragnarok and Atlantis [released] :
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1201.0  / Discord : https://discord.gg/qs9t6AA
Overhaul mod with many new monsters, skills, items, features, balance and bugfixes. Increased difficulty.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline undefind

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2019, 17:29:17 »
That's weird, I did that already. My game is acting all wonky when it comes to using third party programs. AM won't let me import records using the menu, but I can right click. ARZ Explorer does the same thing. All my database files are now 2kb except the AE version.

All kinds of odd.

Also on Steam

Not Yet Rated!

Offline undefind

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2019, 02:46:03 »
AM installed the 1hranged template to working/database folder.

Moved it to working/database/templates folder.

All good now.

Edit: apparently AE sometimes installs some templates in the wrong folder.

Also on Steam

Not Yet Rated!

Offline undefind

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2019, 04:45:17 »
so i got this to work if i select a custommap but when i combine the mod with the database.arz and move it to the AE database folder (renamed it to database.arz) the new sound doesnt work.

funny thing is, the other modifications i made work i.e. camera angles, potion staking, etc... but anytime i drop an epic or legendary item there is no sound whatsoever.

i tried building the dbr in records/sounds and records/xpack/sounds and neither worked.

anyone know what's up?

Also on Steam

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Max_Pionier

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #13 on: 15 December 2023, 14:48:02 »
Hey Sauruz,

Yeah I did have success eventually  :)  and have been meaning to update this with how I got it to work.  When/if I get time tonight I'll post something here

I hate these blind ends in every forum on the internet! When (IF) people made it work they are too bussy to reply  :(

I know it's an old post, but I figured out how to add your own music to mods.
It's not straight forward, but it can be done. I can only play the music once, but maybe some one can make it work multible times.

Music in your own mod:

1. Open your mod in the Art Manager (AM)
2. On your mods main dir, right click and choose Create Directory call it anything else than Music or Sounds
3. With your new dir selected, Right click the info window and choose Import... and import your mp3 or wav song
4. Right click your song and choose Auto-Create Asset and press OK
5. Select your main dir and choose Database/Import Record... and choose records/sounds/musicpak/greekevent/grkeventabondonegraveyardtheme.dbr (or any other theme.dbr file) and press OK
6. Go to the Database tab, find your imported record and rename it to something shorter so you can search it later (no spaces or characters) choose Build/Build
7. Double click the .dbr file. Here you can give credit to the auther in Header (on not). Go to Sound Properties and double click the grkathensabondon.....mp3 an [...] will show beside the name. Click that and find your music in the dir you made.
8. Build your mod in AM (Build/Build)
9. Go to the Editor, load your mod and choose the Layer tool. Choose Sound Layer and press New (rename if wanted)
10. Press the [...] beside/under Event Music DBR: and search your song
11. Hear it first on the Sound Preview button (just to be sure), and press OK
12. Paint an area where you want the music to start when you enter it
13. Go to Layput Mode and choose Build/Rebuild All Patching, then Build/Rebuild All Maps. Then choose File/Save All and exit the editor
14. I AM choose Build/Build (or F7)

Open up your mod in TQ, walk into the area and enjoy your music

There might be an Build/Build too much in there but it works.
This tut is written of beginners.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 25 December 2023, 18:22:33 »
Theres one thing i notice in later updates or dlc, if theres a region with event music and ambient music it plays at same time, i think theres no need to use the event music if you want to put your own music
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal