Author Topic: "The Devourer" - Trapper Dreamkiller Build (pets/life leech)  (Read 12083 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Torstein159

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?

There was a crack of electric light, coming down from a darkened sky
My dreams flashed before my eyes, as they were erased from my life

Ahh, trapper characters, it was a love at first sight. Quite well-balanced, perhaps not a ground-breaking build, but a pleasure to play. The gear setup has been shifting a bit since i first made it, so the base str and int are unnecessarily high, the toon doesn't benefit from them, since only traps deal serious damage, and life leech scales with level iirc. So if i took those stats and put into hp, and went to switch Thoth's Glory to one with hp bonus, you can see it would probably be 8000+.

Throwing knives into a group of enemies basically gives 3 sec immortality, so unless I play like a dummy or do weird mod/multiplayer shenanigans, it's pretty tough to get myself killed, given the amount of cc and leech (a bit of trouble with undead / dark elves). Weak mobs can be dealt with with just life leech.

*Using Trace of Convalescence instead of ToW as to not wake up sleeping enemies with the aura
**Traps won't start firing if all the targets in range are asleep
***Used to be a terrible potion-monger, Phantom Strike & Energy leech retaliation fixes that

Performance in legendary: 8.5/10 (quite fast; hard to kill; in mp the enemies might be dead already before I set the traps though)
Performance in 6-players difficulty: 8/10 (the damage can be a wee bit underwhelming at times)
Party support 3/10 (eh, great with other petmancers, usually is the one who benefits from others)
Fun meter: 9/10 (I love traps and casters with melee weapons ok)

Skill tree - Dream:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Skill tree - Rogue:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Items:
Spoiler for Hiden:

*The Cursed Jewels set rolls affixes by itself, they haven't been upgraded

MI / upgraded:
Phonoi (of devouring)
Black Pearl Pendant (+2 rogue)
Black Pearl Ring (poison res)
Black Pearl Ring (+hp)
Discs of Mani (+hp, cold res)
Aionios (cold res, +str)
Crest of Hypnos (pierce res, +str)

Legendary difficulty - Telkine & Typhon:

Legendary 6-players difficulty - Nidhoggr:
« Last Edit: 14 June 2019, 16:28:07 by Torstein159 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: "The Devourer" - Trapper Dreamkiller Build (pets/life leech)
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2019, 12:06:52 »
HAhahahahaha

have you seen my thread Dreamkiller: A Hybrid Shoddy?
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=832.0

it's almost identical
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Torstein159

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: "The Devourer" - Trapper Dreamkiller Build (pets/life leech)
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2019, 12:10:24 »
HAhahahahaha

have you seen my thread Dreamkiller: A Hybrid Shoddy?
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=832.0

it's almost identical
I saw it recently, but not in great detail, I will do so now.

Haha, the gear is quite different, but the idea almost the same. I focused more on life leech, while yours might outdamage mine, not sure. We even have the auras on the same slots hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Great minds think alike :p
« Last Edit: 22 March 2019, 12:19:30 by Torstein159 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Torstein159

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Atlantis Update

Spoiler for Hiden:

I did respec the attributes, yes. Mashed them into health and some dex:
2860 hp
300 ep
206 str
210 int
206 dex

Not much has changed since Atlantis, but here it is nonetheless.
I remembered that Sapros is a weapon that exists, so it serves as a nice debuff when using phantom strike, whilst the life leech bonus is almost the same as phonoi.As the doppel's weapon, it should be useful too.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Blade barrier is yet another way to leech some health, so I'm using it too.
+Slightly better Cornucopia = more da

Skill Trees:
Rogue:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Dream:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Muspelheim - 6 players difficulty

Asgard- 6 players difficulty

« Last Edit: 05 July 2019, 13:11:20 by Torstein159 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline ozgurbay

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +2
hi buddy great build can i learn stat points pls

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Torstein159

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
hi buddy great build can i learn stat points pls
I answered you on yt, but I think it's a good idea to include my toon's base stats in the build post too, I'll edit them later.

I put just enough stats to equip my gear, and decent DA, since traps are my only source of 'real' damage. Sapros is mostly for reduced res, +% life leech, but the damage is decent on constructs. Note that I have extra statistics from upgrades (hypnos - int) (aionios - str), and am using thoth's glory (-20% req), meaning I can invest a lot in hp, and so overcome the -%hp from sapros.
I think this class can work without investing in strength, leaving you more vulnerable, but perhaps utilizing psionic beam with a staff, as both a different type of damage and sustain. If you'd prefer to use a shield and phantom strike, I'd suggest leveling with -req items, until you get your final gear figured out.  Investing in dex might not be necessary if you choose items with high DA or dodge, such as Soldiers' Unyielding Will (formicid MI shield), Coronal of the Abyss, Hermes Talaria (+1 rogue), Thoth's Shadow (+2 rogue), Freyja set, etc

Note about leveling, you can easily finish normal with distortion wave and distort reality, maybe psionic beam too (investing in int early), so in epic you'd want to respec into traps + mastermind and knives, which means you'll need +4 rogue, as botebote suggested. You might not have enough dex to equip stonebinders, but assassin's amulet, artifact, crystal of erebus, hallowed helm etc, can set you right. Best of luck :>
« Last Edit: 25 June 2019, 09:24:49 by Torstein159 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Torstein, as you know i have another dreamkiller using psionic beam + traps.. i also played my hybrid shoddy just a bit on v2.6.. the hybrid shoddy still had better survivability, not to mention easier to gear.. the kill speed, I'm not sure.. but hybrid stat still wins overall
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal