Author Topic: Tempest Tricks' Trickster journal  (Read 18385 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Tempest Tricks' Trickster journal
« on: 07 December 2017, 13:00:40 »
Okay, this is going to be more of a journal than a build guide - since I'm figuring it out as I go along and frankly not sure it'll work either.  ;)  But taking inspiration from Fozzie's Bladeflinger Magician and botebote77's Flying Daggers variation for AE builds I thought I'd try a knife/weapon throwing Trickster out.  The combo of Runemaster/Rogue allows you to both have a throwing weapon on the LMB and Throwing Knife on the RMB so between them should be spammable, providing you can get the combo right. 

At the moment this is aiming to be a pure hyrbid with attribute points spread between strength, dexerity and intelligence pretty much in equal measure - because I want to wear some -% recharge intel gear to get Throwing Knife (and Runic Mines) recharge time down as well as use throwing weapons which require strength and also Trickery/of the Winds shields for added attack speed.  To help with both strength and intel requirements I'll be looking at equipping Hardy/Robust of Foresight necklaces at least.  And I will be twinking Tempest with stuff from my Vault - I just can't stand farming for specific stuff when it's probably sitting in my Vault gathering dust.

So started off with Rogue since I need to get Throwing Knife/Flurry of Knives going as quickly as possible.  Tempest is up to L11 and at the Halcyon Coast rebirth fountain.  Rogue is up to L19 in its mastery and I have one point in Throwing Knife, Envenom Weapons, Nightshade and Toxin Distillation.  Runemaster is only at L4 with a point in Rune Weapon/Magical Charge, Runeword: Feather and Runic Mines.  I have some SBC's equipped giving me +1 to all skills and will be heading up Rogue for Flurry over the next few levels, aiming hit it at L16.

Other Rogue skills I'll be looking to take are Blade Honing possibly (not sure exactly what throwing weapons the expansion provides yet to make that worthwhile - or even if that skill would apply to them), Anatomy, Mandrake and Disarm Traps (a point at least in this last one).

Runemaster skills: Energy Drain and Transmutation synergies of Rune Weapon, Freezing Mines synergy of Runic Mines, Runeword: Explode/Burn, Runeword: Absorb and Energy Armour.  Will also consider Sacred Rage/Frightning Power and maybe switch later to dual wield with Reckless Offense on second weapon slot for close in fights if needed.

Although Throwing Knife doesn't seem to benefit from Rune Weapon I figure if I can manage to spam both knives and throwing weapons I'll be spreading a good bit of poison/elemental damage around between the two.  :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: Tempest Tricks' Trickster journal
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2017, 15:10:33 »
i have little suggestions.. throwing weapons have high dex req and lower str.. so ditch the strength or at least very few because runeword: feather affects shields.. and if you max transmutation (with +4), it will be 99% weapon damage converted to elemental so strength is useless (according to my tests).. plus rune of life gives +% str

another is farm for Eitr.. i think the flat elemental will be huge and if my theory is correct that it will convert the pierce of throwing knives to elemental, well undeads are no problem.. plus if you have flat elemental, then throwing knives will benefit from rune weapon

edit: except if you plan to get thunder strike too, then str would be necessary

edit 2: if you have flat elemental to knives, close combat wouldn't be necessary.. the good thing with a knifethrower is it's good as a ranged attacker but it's deadlier up close.. heck i killed legendary typhon in 5 seconds by getting close to him.. and that was in normal speed.. no time for him to cast thorns
« Last Edit: 07 December 2017, 15:40:52 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2017, 15:51:59 »
Nice going, MedeaFleecestealer! The blog seems promising. O0

I'm really interested is seeing how Rogue+Rune blend together, maybe this blog will bring out possible Synergies between the 2 Masteries.

Especially considering how Rune, a brand-new Mastery, is relatively undocumented right now.

Godspeed, friend.

« Last Edit: 07 December 2017, 15:56:05 by CrocMagnum »

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2017, 16:01:22 »
Runeword: Feather reduces str requirments for all weapons, nothing to do with shields.  You're confusing it with Defense's Armour Handling which does the same for shields and armour.  Not sure how the attributes are going to pan out at the moment since I haven't played a new toon through the expansion so no idea how much extra in the way of attributes I'm going to get yet.  Might go more int/dex later or str/dex depending on what I can find in my Vault that looks interesting and what new items I find that might work. 

Yeah, I'll definitely be looking for that Eitr relic/charm.  I have one in my Vault already and it looks good.

Well, I'm not planning to get into close combat, but in TQAE I don't tend to kite as I should - whereas I'm much more likely to do so in GD.  So I often end up in close combat when when I don't plan to!

It's a little irritating that the thrown weapons don't go as far as the Throwing Knife does when holding left-shift, but then again I throw a knife at the furthest away target which triggers the rest of the mob to run towards me and straight into the throwing weapon attacks.  :)

I tend to keep things simple with my builds - an LMB and RMB skill, maybe another one or two like Runic Mines on a hotkey and the rest passives or toggled skills.  So not sure I'll be trying Thunder Strike or Rune of Life with this build. 

Thanks CrocMagnum.  Very much feeling my way with this so thought it would be better as a journal type thread to give my experiences/impressions while slowly learning Runemaster, the latest changes to AE and the expansion of course.  I ran my old Guardian through Ragnarök Normal, but that was just to see what it was like and he's overlevelled for it so nothing was really difficult for him to deal with.  No other toons near reaching that part of the game yet.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2017, 21:35:43 »
Runeword: Feather reduces str requirments for all weapons, nothing to do with shields.

i was surprised as well but the feature is necessary imo especially for my melee/caster toon

https://imgur.com/a/YdfvU

i had other findings about rune mastery i posted here

http://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=145.0
« Last Edit: 09 January 2018, 14:48:43 by kja12 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2017, 21:50:58 »
Um, yeah, reading Feather's description it does say weapons and shields, but only mentions weapons in the stats below.  ???  So might be able to go more int/dex later on.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2017, 12:49:49 »
So, managed to get a bit further today, I'm at the rebirth fountain before heading into the Minoan ruins.  So far it's playing pretty well, I've maxed out Rogue and nearly maxed out Flurry of Knives.  Once that's done I'll look at getting some more of the Rune skills I plan to take.  Put my latest attribute points into Intel/Dex, but I see Rune Weapons also ups the Intel you get - looks like it'll be 100% Intel when it's maxed. 

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2017, 12:20:55 »
Nice idea for a build, Medea. Definetly gonna try this. I tried making a dual-throwing Slayer yesterday, thinking that i'll reach insane throw speed with Weapon Training and Woodlore... but the speed for dual throw is capped to 141%. Now i'll make a Trickster instead :)

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2017, 12:38:12 »
I like throwing stuff around and Fozzie's Magician was quite good fun.  Hoping this will turn out to be the same.  I've been seeing more throwing weapons now I'm back to playing TQ more so am building up a bit of a collection that Tempest will hopefully be able to use later on.  :)

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2017, 10:35:53 »
Okay, got a bit further along with Tempest.  He's now into Act 2 and resting down in the Rhakotis Library.  Minotaur and Mega were a bit of a battle for him, but not really any problem.  Flurry of Knives is now maxed so working my way up the Rune mastery to get some more of those skills.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2018, 09:01:27 »
Can anyone confirm that Blade Honing works with thrown weapons as well?  I know it works with swords and I think axes, but haven't seen anything that says it works with the thrown weapons.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2018, 09:24:57 »
i can.. my nephew has trickster too though differently built.. works with discus too but i doubt it works with throwing hammers
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2018, 09:59:56 »
Thanks botebote77.  I'm sticking with swords and axes for both thrown and normal weapons.  Not sure I'm going to use Blade Honing yet since I'm not sure how high I can get level-wise with the new cap.  Current build is only a 67 so there may be room to squeeze in Blade Honing and also possibly Anatomy.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Vio

• aka Violos
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2018, 12:56:42 »
Quote from: MedeaFleecestealer
I want to wear some -% recharge intel gear to get Throwing Knife (and Runic Mines) recharge time down

Are you aware that putting points into the Throwing Knives base skill reduces its cooldown since the AE?
You do not need -%recharge items anymore to spam them if you have enough +skills instead.

And Rune Weapon does work with them in the sense that Magical Charge will apply its damage to any weapon attack you do while the aura is on.
Which includes the Knives, of course, thanks to their speical ability to carry weapon effects.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2018, 13:02:47 by Vio »

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2018, 13:09:44 »
No, wasn't aware of that Vio.  Hadn't noticed it when I maxed out the skill in TitanCalc.  Nice to know though since it should mean with maxed Throwing Knife they'll be spammable and "of Trickery" will also help AS for thrown weapons.  :)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal