Author Topic: Memoirs of a girl with a Dragon Hunter tattoo  (Read 6001 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline wolpak

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Memoirs of a girl with a Dragon Hunter tattoo
« on: 25 October 2018, 16:34:58 »
Before I begin, I am going to state that I am no pro nor do I know if this build is viable through legendary, but I plan on finding out.

Dragon Hunter is clearly a very strong build, but one thing pretty fascinating about it is that it can go all one way or all the other.  While both play similarly, they obviously have their own advantages.  I decided that since most go heavy on the Rune and Elemental side, I'd go heavy on the Hunting and Pierce side.  I also am going self-found which should determine how viable this is.

Right now, I am approaching the end of Normal, half way through Act 5 and it's been quite a breeze.  Like 3 deaths, mostly from low res (self found) and spikey damage and that one hero vitality damage dude in the mountains from Act 3.  The goal with this character is to focus on the auto-attacks and procs.  A Dragon Hunter can either go Rune, focus on INT and Rune Weapon or go Dex/Str, go Hunting and focus on Marksmanship.

The first goal is to start hunting and just build your way up with 1 point in things you use.  You could probably ignore Rune until Epic, though, I didn't.  At level 15, you have Hunting maxed out and 1 point in almost everything you need. 

Level 15

The key here is Marksmanship, Wood Lore and Volley.  Clearly those are the skills that will add to damage and benefit with you get +1 to hunting or skills.  The most important item for you to get 1 of (2 if you go Rune) is Skeletal Darts.

I picked a couple up early in Act 1 and I am still using them now.  Other thrown weapons are fine, but Skeletal Darts are your bread and butter.  They allow you to put a relic or charm on them, they have a 50% pierce ratio, they are Very Fast, they can get good affixes and they have a 20% chance of 200% pierce damage.  That is huge as you stack pierce%.  The 10% of 40% reduction in enemy's health is really just bonus.  Now, I also farmed for Stonebinder's Cuffs, which has been nice since I haven't found any other +1 skills gear.  I have found decent +Hunting gear, but nothing +1 Skills. 

While you can go all Hunting for all of Normal, the real value in going the Marksman route is the combination of Scattershot and Rune Word: Explode as it procs off of Scattershot.  Actually, Runeword explode procs off of you attack and all your Scattershots carry that and perform a Runeword Explode at the same time.  It creates some nice pyrotechnics. 

Level 25

At this point, you have 1 pointed everything you need to dual wield Skeletal Darts and proc your Reckless Offence, Volley and Runeword: Explode.  I added Thunderstrike in there, and it's strong until Act 5, but if you don't put points into it, auto-attack outpaces it.  It will likely be more useful in harder difficulties with the confusion and stun. 

At this point, you have to determine where to go with the build.  Since you are using Skeletal Darts and are picking up +%pierce items/using Call/Art of the Hunt and Study Prey, it's a good idea to add base Piercing Damage.  The entire Marksmanship tree is useful.  Marksman adds base damage, puncture shot allows you to pass through enemies (which is really awesome if you are capped at 141% attack speed and you just hit everything running at you, and scattershot is solely for the Runeword procs.  I'd go 1:1:1 or 1:1:Volley1 until Volley is maxed out.  Add points in Wood Lore to max out attack, but keep it at 6 for now as there are more diminishing returns in Wood Lore than others for over clocking. 

This is roughly my build at level 40.

Level 40

While I am playing on standard, this will only be more valuable on XMax due to scattershot and runeword explode decimating everything. 

Other musings:
I got 2 Blue Dragon Scales, which seem great, but were inferior to my Darts (both which have ADCtH on them). 

At level 40, in Hades Normal a legendary fell from the sky.  A Jagged Silk.  Quite a tease since it's level 57, but it will be waiting for me and pretty awesome since this is all self-found. 

I dropped my Stonebinders for these guys Black Wyrm Guards
The +25% Pierce Damage, +25% Pierce Ratio, +3 to Runeword Explode and Burn and the other benefits made it a no-brainer.  Interesting that these give +1 to Earth which wouldn't care about the piercing at all. 

Side note, anyone know how the +25% Pierce Ratio works?  Is it additive to my weapon or multiplicative?
The darts are 50%.  If it is additive, then they'd be 75%.  If it is multiplicative, then I guess they'd be 67.5%?  Not that it matters much since their base damage is so low, but it would factor on Epic or Lengendaries more. 

I'll add more when I either hit a wall or just become more awesome.
« Last Edit: 01 November 2018, 15:16:31 by wolpak »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline oldage

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Memoirs of a girl with a Dragon Hunter tattoo
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2018, 18:28:45 »
Congratulation on your build. I'm playing a Pyro about the end of Act 3 Normal. Using the Dart as  my switch up close. Using a fire stave for main.
What are you using for distance or do you expect to kill all before they get to you? I was thinking of picking up the Rune mastery for strength to get better gear and protection.
Good luck with your project.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2018, 18:30:31 by oldage »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2018, 14:06:26 »
wolpak, i think that you are copying the wrong link in your titancalc links.. you should copy the return link at the bottom

pierce ratio is multiplicative.. should be 62.5 though not 67.5
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2018, 23:44:00 »
offtopic: the title of the article seems taken from the movie "the girl with the dragon tattoo"

is the movie any good? i never got to watch it.. what's the genre? i don't like to Google movies very much because i get spoilers

anybody can answer....
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline wolpak

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2018, 04:31:44 »
I  am stoopid, I'll fix those links later.  She is level 55 now and pretty much melting stuff in Act 3 Epic.  We will see how it gets when I am in legendary.  I have been collecting a lot of legendary throwing weapons, which has certainly helped.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2018, 12:36:57 »
wait you mean each scatter shot fragment has a chance to proc runeword:explode? that's interesting

side note: transmutation is now permanent so a marksmanship dragon hunter can go int+dex and still deal elem damage even if not using rune weapon.. it's nice because explode is elem damage
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2018, 14:32:59 »
I made a test with a dragon hunter lvl 40 and it doesn't seem clear to me.
My test consisted in
- 1st try: 1 pt in MM, 1 pt in Puncture shot, 0 in scatterred shot, 10pts in RW:explode (2.5m radius), 10 in RW:burn(5 projectiles)
This setup 1-1-0 in MM tree in order to lower the direct damage output and the chances to pass through ennemies. I then shotted a pack of turtles, aiming the same turtle. As expecting, i saw other turtles burning and 5 projectiles going out the targeted turtle.
- 2nd try: the same setup + 12 pts in scattered shot arrows. What i saw was the other turtles bleeding but no projectiles going out from these ones, excepted the targeted turtle. Maybe only RW:explode can proc from the fragments of a scattered shot and not RW: burn ? It was very difficult to check that, but it seems weird. I then continued with other mobs and the killing speed was the same between 1st and 2nd setup (but again it's difficult to be sure).

Note that the chances of passing through ennemies produces the visual effect you described.
Therfore i made a 3rd try with 1-12-12 in the MM tree. This time i could see projectiles going out multiples turtles, raising strongly the killing speed, as expected.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline wolpak

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2018, 15:11:13 »
Here is the visual representation of a fully maxed Rune Weapon tree versus a full maxed Marksmanship tree.

Rune Weapon:

Marksmanship:

Clearly the individual numbers were higher on Rune, but part of that was it was at maxed stacks (which takes 10 shots to get to) and I believe I didn't have any Hunter's +Pierce damage abilities toggled.  My guess is that Rune has likely a 15-20% increased damage on a single target when fully stacked, but Marksmanship does way more collateral damage.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline wolpak

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2018, 15:17:47 »
Updated my original build links.  Clearly the end build is simply max everything that has a proc, that gives +pierce damage and all defensive abilities that you want.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2018, 17:12:00 »
TQ Designers would have been in a inspired moment if they have put dummies in Corinth. Instead we have turtles to make tests  ::)

In your 2nd pic, the burn proc likely comes from puncture shot arrows (chances to pass through) not from scattered shot arrows. It would be interesting to check the numbers when your line of sight is perpendicular to the 3 targets (ie, you are in front of the middle target).

Anyway, as you say, MM does more collateral damage in your pic  ;)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline wolpak

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2018, 17:58:12 »
TQ Designers would have been in a inspired moment if they have put dummies in Corinth. Instead we have turtles to make tests  ::)

In your 2nd pic, the burn proc likely comes from puncture shot arrows (chances to pass through) not from scattered shot arrows. It would be interesting to check the numbers when your line of sight is perpendicular to the 3 targets (ie, you are in front of the middle target).

Anyway, as you say, MM does more collateral damage in your pic  ;)

Agreed about target dummies.

So, I posted this in another thread (which inspired this build to begin with)...
"I went to Sparta in the enemy camp where there are three targets side by side.  I did two tests.  I stood perpendicular to the middle target and started markmaning.  Both side targets got hit with scattershot and both procced Runeword Explode EVERY time my main target did.  It appears that the proc is checked once on the initial throw and then if you hit 9 fragments, then 9 runeword explodes.  Wowzers.  I then decided to test Punctureshot and lined up all three targets in a row.  If I targeted the first target, passthrough seemed to go through it every time.  I figured it would have been only 55% of the time, but it actually went through to the third target like 75% of the time.  Not sure how that is all calculated.  Even more so, if I targeted the last target, it seemed every attack went through."

Scattershot procs explode.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal