Author Topic: Help me on my journey  (Read 4405 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zardoz

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Help me on my journey
« on: 04 October 2021, 20:14:11 »
Hello there,

I've been absent from the game for months. I did play it here and there, with old high-level characters, just farming loot for fun, but i haven't had a fresh character start for a very long time.

Now i want to return for a self found character and want it to be something i haven't tried yet. I do play a lot of plain physical/piercing melee and ranged characters in TQ, but for this i want to make a more of an elemental type of melee fighter... a battlemage of sorts, which is something i've wanted to do for years, but for some reason i didn't, until now!

I'll be sharing a lot from this walkthrough, because i will need expert help with the builds i have in mind. And i also want to have Titan Quest discussions if possible, so i can learn more about the game. The activity on this forum is not very good sadly, so if this topic doesn't get any attention, i might discontinue it at some point if i get bored with it.

Okay, so this is what i have in mind:

https://www.tqcalc.com/TitanCalc53b553b5rune491c.html?mastery=Stonespeaker&master1=1&master2=10&sa=21&m1=32-12-0-8-12-12-0-1-1-0-1-1-8-0-0-1-0-0-12-1-12-0-0-0-0-0-0-0&m2=32-10-6-10-16-1-10-0-1-0-10-0-10-0-0-0-8-0-6-8-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Or this:

https://www.tqcalc.com/TitanCalc464c464crunee80e.html?mastery=Thunderer&master1=8&master2=10&sa=21&m1=32-0-10-1-0-8-1-0-12-0-0-0-6-12-12-0-1-0-0-8-1-0-0-0-0&m2=32-10-6-10-16-1-10-0-1-10-10-0-10-0-0-0-8-0-6-8-0-0-0-0-0

I think i'm going to choose the Thunderer first. The plan for the attribute point distribution is to put just enough strength for weapons, i'm probably going to focus on swords... The rest will go in Intelligence and Dexterity in 1:1 ratio. I'm still not entirely sure if should go 1:1 int/dex, or 1:1 str/dex so i can equip more suitable armors for melee. Help me decide.

My plan for this is to be a self-found character, but not fully self-sustained... I will be transferring relics, charms and crafting recipes, because these are the things i find to be extremely boring to farm for. All the other gear (weapons/armors) i'll farming by myself and i'll be posting screenshots of them and of my progress.

I'll try to do it deathless, but this is not going to be a hardcore attempt. If i die, i'll keep playing... and i'm not going to hide my deaths either.

Questions:

Can Energy Armor work in combination with Heat Shield or Energy Shield? If yes, is it a combination worth having, or i should just focus on one shielding skill?

Is it a good idea to have Thunder Strike as a main (left mouse button) attack? I'm thinking building charges with rune weapon and then attacking with Thunder Strike... should i do that, or just put the points from Thunder Strike elsewhere and keep only Rune Weapon as my main attack skill?

Any advice or critique on the builds is more than welcome. Tell how me you would approach these two classes. Thank you!

« Last Edit: 05 October 2021, 02:22:38 by Zardoz »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zardoz

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Help me on my journey
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2021, 10:07:46 »
Well, i guess i'm on my own then... Would have been nice to have an ongoing topic where i can discuss a few builds and learn something new, but i guess that's not happening. At least i know for sure how much of a barren wasteland this forum is. That's why people who actually want to type comments with substance, are long gone. No need for me to stick around too.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2021, 10:51:40 »
I'm not someone you can call active anymore. i can't even remember the class names. i remember mastery names but not the class names. in my opinion, if you're going to play self-found, you should really play it self-found. you'll see even farming for relics/charms is not just a matter of whether it is boring or not. you'll still have to try not to die, and you'll find yourself thinking what areas you can farm. a self-found run is not an enjoyable experience. satisfaction only comes after you beat the game no deaths. but yeah that's just my opinion. you're free to play how you want to play

if you want to try it no deaths, i suggest earth and you put more points on core dweller. also, yes you have to plan your build but make it very fluid. i remember i once had a no deaths attempt and failed because i tried to strictly follow my plan, even though something felt wrong already

i like self-found no deaths run. when i was playing fully twinked, there was a time that i felt i just give it the good items and problem solved already. but then i think it's only something you try for a change of pace. or when you have tried many many builds already. i mean how can you try a double mjolnir thunderer if you are playing self-found? it's just for a change of pace. like remembering how it was when you were just starting the game, but this time with a little bit more knowledge

edit: i once saw someone play a self-found hardcore run and he fully streamed it on twitch. it was defense/hunting. mine, rogue/earth, i just wrote an article here somewhere, no live streaming. i might have done the same in TQIT many years ago with the broken haruspex build. but I'm not very sure i can't remember anymore
« Last Edit: 05 October 2021, 10:57:00 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2021, 11:35:36 »
Im not sure if energy armor replaces heatshield , maybe you can try make a lv 40 character via acomplish hero and check it out, but i think both will be work fine toghter.

Thunderstrike is a good skill that can clear in case you are facing various melee monsters at close range and have few cd. Rune weapon works like onslaught it need a certain seconds to make full of this power. Thunderstrike can be a good option on right click. In early game it can works fine as left click. it depends on mana management.
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zardoz

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2021, 19:07:25 »
@botebote77, oh yeah, i have done all that already with other classes, mainly conquerors, wardens and templars... I think my most successful self-found no death run was with a conqueror a few years back, i manage to reach act 4 legendary and died in Tower of Judgement... that was before the new expansions. I like doing deathless, self-found attempts. But this here is a completely new character/class for me, and i want to learn how to progress with it. That's why i don't want to just delete it if i die, i need to see how it favors in the late game, and what sorts of gear i can farm for it. Let's call it a learning run...

I agree about the relic, charms and recipes though, i should run it 100% self-found. And that's what i did so far, i'm in the beginning of act 3 now. Still no deaths, but my gear is not great, and i'll be struggling with health since both the rune and the storm tree don't provide much. I can't really drop attributes into health though, as i'll be stretching thin by having to invest some points intro strength for swords, and Intelligence and Dexterity for gear and DA. I want to have enough dexterity for the legendary Stonebinders too, that means 400, and at least 200 str and 500 intelligence... there's no room for health investment.

And speaking of Defensive Ability... that's already becoming a problem. Maybe i should have gone for strength gear, but i want to be a battle mage, wearing mostly intelligence based gear as i have never done that before. I can see my first death coming soon :D

I decided to go with Thunderer firs for some reason,  but i'll be definitely trying the other option with Earth too. I only put one point in the Core Dweller skills, because my idea is to have +4 all skill gear in legendary -  with that Core Dweller should be enough of a tank to help me out. I don't need him as a damage dealer, just as a distraction for the enemies.

I agree about the shared items, they kinda of kill the game, but on the other hand, it's fun to try overpowered inheritance builds from time to time.

@sauruz , i should've tried an accomplished hero as you suggested, but i decided to just run with it. I see no reason why the energy shield wouldn't work together, but i'll soon find out for myself. The more pressing problems now is the lack of gear, the low health and my non-existent DA :D I mean 200 DA is already pretty bad for act 3 normal, right? Even if it's not, i'm pretty sure in Act 4 i'll get crit hit into oblivion :D

I'm a bit lazy to play now, but maybe next i'll drop a few screenshots here and there. You'll see how bad the gear is, even though i spent a considerable time farming the Telkines.

« Last Edit: 08 October 2021, 19:18:32 by Zardoz »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zardoz

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2021, 23:52:50 »
Here's the situation so far... I wanted to post the pics directly here, but they don't scale well, and it looks ugly and inconvenient to have to click on them to see the full picture, so here's all of them in one place...

https://imgur.com/a/3kWjXxB

The situation is dire, i feel weak. The damage is good though, especially with fully charged Rune Weapon.BUt the defenses are a catastrophe, already had a bunch of close calls... even though i will continue the run if i die, i still trying not to.
The plan for now is to get Hallowed Helm, and farm some more vendor equipment, then play around with the relics and charms to balance resistances before Typhon. I'll keep it 100% self-found, so that i don't feel like a scrub :D

One thing that just confuses me is the physical damage conversion into elemental... It says that Transmutation converts weapon damage to elemental... does that mean if get a Sabertooth with 30% physical damage, i get no benefit from the affix and it's the weapon's base damage that get converted? And how about items and artifacts with physical damage boosts? Will they only boost the part of the damage that is not converted into elemental, but give no benefit to the transmutation skill?

If yes, then how do i raise my damage? Since my other mastery is Storm, i assume lightning, cold, and elemental damage affixes is what i should be aiming for?
« Last Edit: 08 October 2021, 23:56:51 by Zardoz »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2021, 00:58:58 »
I'm sorry but you might have made a crucial mistake already. no need for strength because of runeword feather. and use double thrown with thunder strike, probably better. and yes %physical damage does not matter when you convert your damage to elemental

ps: I've had this feeling before that the devs this game, when they think intelligence, they also expect the person to be intelligent. like duh i just wanna play. i play games to pass time and to have fun. less think more action lol
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zardoz

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2021, 01:19:35 »
But my plan for this guy is to be an elemental melee build through and through, just to try something unique and out of the ordinary. My endgame weapon will be a legendary Enherjar's Fate, which requires 416 str and 339 dex to be equipped. Feather reduces the str requirement by 42% and with +skills gear i can bring that number to 60% (i think), but there's no guarantee that my endgame gear setup will have +4 to all skills, because i might prioritize on resistances. So at the end, at least 200+ str is needed to equip a good sword.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2021, 01:27:21 by Zardoz »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zardoz

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2021, 14:32:20 »
While i feel vulnerable, i have to say, offensively so far this build has been very strong. I even went head-to-head with a tigerman hero and survived. The Storm Surge is also a great addition to the build, i don't know why i missed putting points into that skill in pre-plans. Got the Sabertooth too, by random, with a shitty poison damage roll. I might farm another one later if i feel like it:

https://i.imgur.com/MPk7DMc.jpg

I spent some time farming an Exotic Carapace too, but i was expecting more from it... This might be the first time i enter act 4, with and act 1 shield. :D I'll wait for a nice epic shield to drop. I love that shields are registered as weapons, so at the moment i get 47% reduced strength requirements to use them:

https://i.imgur.com/WhzLb3c.jpg

And i also found this thing at the entrance of Chang'an. With it, and with fully charged Rune Weapon, i exceed 1000 DPS, which is just insane for this stage of the game... I'm not going to use it though (stashed), not only because of the +1 skills from SBC, but because i can't afford to lose resistances. I want to raise them before Typhon.

https://i.imgur.com/SgyKjoy.jpg

I went on and cleared everything up to Jade Palace. Now it's time for the part i dread the most - the Hallowed Helm farm :( See you later i guess...

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2021, 15:23:17 »
hallowed helm farm.. if you consider that a dread part.. imagine my rogue/earth trapper hardcore run.. you see that wasn't first try. i put HC on my char name because i just decided "I'm not gonna die this time". an earlier same build attempt, same name but without HC, i remember it got hard when i was up against lamia beastmen in act 4. i might've died there or i knew it was hard enough that my next run volcanic orb and eruption wouldn't be enough. so i decided after the 3rd portal in act 4, i was gonna transfer my skill points from volcanic orb and eruption to traps. but how do i do that on a self-found run?

i merchant farmed for:
hallowed helm
divine/rogue's amulet
rogue's weapon (damage doesn't matter)
tinkerer shield (i activated Atlantis portal after i beat Typhon)
occult ring
pet ring

and before all that i already farmed for SB cuffs in act 1

so that's +4 to rogue, 1 pet ring and high cast speed. it's the only way to make traps effective

also i in act 5 primrose, when i farmed for blackbeards booties, it was the last easter egg item that dropped. yes i found all santas, detectives, the snowball orb, etc before i found the only item i was looking for: blackbeards booties

it's a grind, man. it's a grind. just 1 hallowed helm is no problem at all
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zardoz

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2021, 16:50:57 »
^Correct... what i meant to say is, this is the first of many dreaded parts to come :D On a serious note, i'm just not a fan of running the vendors, even though i love that you can get good stuff from them, and that gold has purpose in the game.

But at least i got lucky this time, it took less than an hour.

First, i got a leg upgrade:

https://i.imgur.com/vq9wqBU.jpg

Then the Hallowed:

https://i.imgur.com/fZ5rrzQ.jpg

And a slightly better leg armor:

https://i.imgur.com/JcXDRnL.jpg

DPS with fully charged Rune Weapon and the new gear setup for Typhon:

https://i.imgur.com/CZqZH69.jpg

Full gear overview, before Wusao Mountain:

https://imgur.com/a/pOkkf2H

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zardoz

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2021, 18:03:07 »
Typhon was too much of a pain, so i'm not going to farm him. Maybe i'll do a few Charon runs and proceed directly to act 5

I messed the recording, it seems that the audio is not aligned, as a result there are a few frame skips, because the program is trying to catch up with the sound, or something like that. I have to check my Bandicam settings... I'm never going to learn how to use that thing properly :D

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zardoz

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2021, 22:16:43 »
Got my first two greater crafting recipes from quests. Both disappointing...

https://i.imgur.com/a9pbJ8V.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wEcGTZc.jpg

Now, what kind of nonsense is this? A level 8 Energy Armor requires more mana than my available mana pool? What were these developers thinking? Respec-ed! I might put some point in it again later, if i have better caster equipment with energy bonuses to it, but this is a load of bull...

https://i.imgur.com/E90hva4.jpg

Just before Tower of Judgement:

https://i.imgur.com/CKKYpwn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sx3HPm8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/a8ii8Hq.jpg

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 10 October 2021, 02:48:09 »
Now, what kind of nonsense is this? A level 8 Energy Armor requires more mana than my available mana pool? What were these developers thinking?
yes and what's worse, that devs might not have thought of or never noticed because they don't playtest their own game, is if you have a few points on energy armor just enough so you can cast it, then you get a mastery shrine, then suddenly you can't cast energy armor at all
« Last Edit: 10 October 2021, 02:49:51 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zardoz

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 11 October 2021, 01:31:10 »
^Тhat sucks, man.  :( I really can't see myself investing points in that skill now. At level 7 it only absorbs like 700 damage, which is just not enough for epic and legendary. I was hoping to reach around 2000 damage absorption with + skills gear, but that mana demand, it's just never going to happen. It will probably require a 1500 mana pool to cast. Well, i guess i'm going full offense then :D

By the way, it didn't struck me yesterday, when you mentioned your trapper run, but now i remembered seeing your build on the forum. That thing is a beast, everyone should check it out.

Did some vendor farming before Tower of Judgement, to secure some poison resist gear for Cerberus. Found a nice ring upgrade here:

https://i.imgur.com/eCnHLZB.jpg

I bought this for Cerberus, and went back to farm some Pristine Plumage in act 1, only one char was enough, because i also got gloves with 35% damage reduction from beasts, and i already have another 35% reduction on my boots. Ceberus was unable to harm me after that:

https://i.imgur.com/lfPUep7.jpg

I also got this... Nothing special, but it was the only Tikerer ring i could find with resistances on it in more than 40 minutes of running Gadir's trader. I'm not sure yet if i'm going to use it. I expect to get better loot in act 5.

https://i.imgur.com/XC8zT4A.jpg

This formula i can actually craft right now, as i dropped the other recepies earlier, but i'm not if sure if it's going to be that much better overall... i might craft it later for fun, but probably not going to use it.

https://i.imgur.com/SYPnvED.jpg

Advancing and getting disappointed in the Palace and the Treasury

https://i.imgur.com/ZIHqr29.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FH3usWS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YNC2oPV.jpg

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal