Author Topic: Hamunaptra Mod - Development  (Read 92937 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: Hamunaptra Mod - Development
« Reply #15 on: 23 February 2018, 15:22:24 »
Yeah, the game was not made to have choices at the basic foundation. Shame, because it's fun.

I wonder if you could use the Quest Editor to spawn three objects, for example like the gem pedestals outside Hades Treasury.

As soon as the player interacts with one, simply remove the other two with the Quest.

Does that make sense?

When talking to genie->
   Spawn three choice objects (make sure they have some tool tip or other identifying text)
When interacting with Object 1 ->
  Grant Wish 1
  Remove Object 2
  Remove Object 3
When interacting with Object 2->
  Grant Wish 2
  Remove Object 1
  Remove Object 3

Etc.

A new adventure in egyptian map ? Great  ;) Good luck for your project Prosoro.

There is also another trigger like pedestals: when you cross the gates to fight Hades or Surtr, the gate is closing. I know nothing in modding, maybe the trigger value can be read  ?
In addition to CrocMagnum and Bumbleguppy: one can imagine another chamber surrounded by open gates and a drawing on the pediment like in king's valley, e.g. 3 gates with either a sword, a staff or a bow. Or drawings less obvious, only clues. The chamber is accessible by the 3 gates, and all the gates are closing when you go in the chamber through one gate. In the example, a fight encounter with melee, magical or ranged boss, and finally a corresponding drop item.

Haha! What a devious way to achieve things! ^^

I'm happy to see modders and gamers still have it! ;D
« Last Edit: 23 February 2018, 15:28:33 by CrocMagnum »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
  • Formerly 'Nefer' of the tq.net forums.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: 01 March 2018, 05:55:46 »
A new adventure in egyptian map ? Great  ;) Good luck for your project Prosoro.

Hey Tauceti  ;) Thanks for the encouragement!

@CrocMagnum @Bumbleguppy

Apologies for my lack of activity on here lately, just the usual work/real life stuff getting in the way of things >.> BUT! great suggestions  :D gotta get onto these and see what I can achieve
~  Anything new for TQ? Experience what Unearthed Studios NZ has been up to with the release of Eternal Embers! - Website: https://www.unearthedstudiosnz.com/ ~

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mvlad954

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: 02 March 2018, 11:10:48 »
Regarding that thing with choices,Bumbleguppy may be right.However,in the Steam Workshop there is a mod called:[PvP Map]Swamp Realm.The mod uses assets from Grim Dawn.So I was thinking that maybe its possible to extract scripted choices.I dont know.Im just saying......

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mvlad954

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: 02 March 2018, 18:59:22 »
Nevermind actually!I dont even think thats possible. :-\

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #19 on: 03 March 2018, 09:57:44 »
Not up on modding, but I suspect not mvlad954.  Although Grim Dawn was made using the old TQ engine so much work has been done on it by the GD devs over the years t's pretty much a new engine.  Not sure it would be possible to match anything from it up to TQAE.  Guess it depends how much, if any, work Nordic did with the engine themselves, but if they did again it's going to be different to what the GD devs have done.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 09:41:29 by MedeaFleecestealer »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: 06 March 2018, 11:50:24 »

So have added yet another dungeon to the list  ..even though I shouldn't be world building but focusing on other stuff!  ;D

This time though I've been using the Terrain region to make it instead of the Dungeon Grid tool.  This is how all of Grim Dawn's dungeons are made I believe.  Man, already there seems to be much more flexibility this way but waaay more work involved. 

Anyway, what caused me to try this out is after recently playing D2 and reaching the Canyon of the Magi (for the first time), I wanted to create a dungeon that looked like the tombs in D2 actII.  It's what I've started referring to as the 'Lut Gholein Style'.

This is a taste of where I'm at so far..
Spoiler for Hiden:

But I'm just not sure about the lighting at the moment, what's your thoughts? I'm trying to find a balance between having good darkness and shadow while maintaining the lighter palette of the D2 tombs..if that makes sense?? It's difficult.  Check out this comparison;
Spoiler for Hiden:

Obviously I've also tried to match the stonework etc as best I can too  8)

And finally, here's a shot of the first iteration of lighting I did lol very dark but man it was actually really kool and creepy going through the halls; before I knew it I'd run along straight into a group of undead as my player light-source was what I mainly had to rely on to see ahead.  Keeps you on your toes.
Spoiler for Hiden:

~  Anything new for TQ? Experience what Unearthed Studios NZ has been up to with the release of Eternal Embers! - Website: https://www.unearthedstudiosnz.com/ ~

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Cygi

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #21 on: 06 March 2018, 13:35:27 »
Especially the last one screen is amazing.

The more dark, the better.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: 06 March 2018, 13:41:44 »
But I'm just not sure about the lighting at the moment, what's your thoughts? I'm trying to find a balance between having good darkness and shadow while maintaining the lighter palette of the D2 tombs..if that makes sense?? It's difficult.  Check out this comparison;
Spoiler for Hiden:

It's perfect imo, not too dark and really gives the spooky feeling. One of the things that will make your mod unique.
I think first picture looks more natural than second.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2018, 13:44:58 by nargil66 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: 06 March 2018, 14:42:40 »
...Anyway, what caused me to try this out is after recently playing D2 and reaching the Canyon of the Magi (for the first time), I wanted to create a dungeon that looked like the tombs in D2 actII.  It's what I've started referring to as the 'Lut Gholein Style'...But I'm just not sure about the lighting at the moment, what's your thoughts?

So Lut Gholein is growing on you hey! ;D

I feel Act II of Diablo II is really the cream of the crop as far as atmosphere goes. Now that you’ve reached the Canyon you know what was really going on under the Palace: The Arcane Sanctuary is incredible. For its time the level design of that dungeon was a true achievement.

Act II is far from perfect though, I still have Nightmares (pun intended) of the Maggot Lair and the Act Boss.

Anyways about your screenshots you can’t please everybody. Some folks like dark dungeons and other prefer more lighting. Personally I feel screenshots 2 and 3 are super diablo-ish. ^^
« Last Edit: 06 March 2018, 14:49:37 by CrocMagnum »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: 06 March 2018, 14:57:24 »
Egyptian tombs are supposed to be dark so i think it's just right.. also shoutout to diablo 2.. the classic that made aRPGs popular.. if not for that game there may never have been TQ.. my fingers were quick back then.. they're really slow now and I'm also sometimes pressing the wrong buttons.. sigh I'm getting old

also, this should be compatible with xmax right?
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #25 on: 06 March 2018, 15:12:37 »
Remember that some items in inventory were able to increase the light radius, the kind of items especially wanted by all D2 ranged classes.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
« Reply #26 on: 06 March 2018, 17:52:36 »
Weapons and armor can have particle effects attached to the mesh itself. You know the ones with sparks or a torch with a flame effect.

Particle effects can have a light source, the color/intensity and radius  can be set to anything. 

It wouldn't be too much trouble to have skills or equipment to create a light source for the player.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mvlad954

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: 06 March 2018, 18:14:25 »
Looks awesome!I always loved how Diablo 2 dungeons had that mysterious dark atmosphere.It made adventuring more exciting.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: 07 March 2018, 08:17:29 »

Awesome feedback guys, thanks!

Seems like there's votes for both sides in terms of "balance is the sweet spot!" and "the darkness needs to be more dark!".  As you say though CrocMagnum, there's always different preferences and can't please everyone.  Of course we know this all too well, but yeah I think ill stick with the lighter-ish, more natural looking lighting for the moment.  Best of both worlds is that as you go deeper it gets darker...   ;)

And yeah! loving Act II in Diablo atm - the Arcane Sanctuary was truly unique.  Not sure if any of you are following the Reign of Terror mod by Ram over on the GD forums but his work is exceptional and am really looking forward to seeing his version of Lut Gholein.

@Bumbleguppy and Tauceti
Kool ideas with the light radius  8) Man I need to pick your brain BG about some of this stuff aye

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: 05 May 2018, 15:28:31 »

Alright alright, back in action xD

Almost finished off the overworld and tombs for the 'D2' inspired area.  Pretty satisfied with how it's all turned out - my new favourite area! Man I'm always surprised by how flexible and user friendly the TQ world editor is, it's awesome   ..only wish this extended to the Quest Editor. 

Here's an editor shot of the Ancient City:

Ancient City Screenshots:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

aaaand a familiar tomb entrance....

Lurking no more..

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal