Author Topic: Hamunaptra Mod - Development  (Read 92949 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
  • Formerly 'Nefer' of the tq.net forums.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Hamunaptra Mod - Development
« on: 05 February 2018, 13:15:28 »

Teaser Trailer:

Hey, so thought it's time to get going with a development thread for the mod  :)

Overview

Hamunaptra is a new mod being made for Titan Quest:AE, though I did start making it way back before AE was a thing so it may work fine in IT (will test at some point) but of course there would be various features missing.. more on that later haha.
The mod introduces players to a new world (map) set in ancient Egypt along with a campaign to play through.  Characters start from level one and are thrown into an adventure that is considerably more challenging than the base game, requiring a survivalist approach to stay alive.  Exploration and careful attention to the environment is key here; things like blood stains or footprints in the sand can lead to much needed potions and gear from other, unfortunate adventurer's  ...or on the other hand you might be led into the midst of a Cultic gathering.  In any case, while loot is plentiful, potions are all the more precious.  The world itself is designed to be more open with minimal markers for things like dungeon/tomb entrances, further encouraging you to search out the map and discover stuff! That said, the way forward is always clear enough and areas aren't excessively large so that you end up traversing some vast, boring desert.

Aside from the world itself, other core features are secret areas, again paying attention to the environments/walls etc is a good idea  ;), new items and sets to collect, huge cities that are both hub areas and places to explore and delve into themselves, many new types of hero monsters to encounter, memorable Npc characters and a unique storyline.

> For more information, screenshots and other details check out the website. <
Background

The idea for this project was in part from wanting to re-create The City of the Dead from The Mummy film in Titan Quest and have fun exploring more dangerous tombs/areas than in the base game.  Things escalated and the project grew as I gained more experience with the modding tools.  This is where tq.net was so helpful, but you can only read so much and I had to learn a lot from just trying out things, failing, then re-trying.  This of course = modding though right  ::)  The other part of what drove this project into existence was that I had played and farmed Titan Quest, particularly act 2 which is my favourite act, way too many times and wanted to have a go at creating a new world to, well, farm and loot stuff in.  I guess the third reason for working on Hamunaptra is that there are so many Mastery mods out there for TQ and very few new world/map mods. Hopefully if all goes well though, I can add another map to your guys' Custom Maps list in the game menu  ;D

Current Development: (updated as the project progresses)

-Overworld and underworld areas complete (98%- some to be polished)
-Npc's added (need to link with quests)
-World is populated (70%)
-New Hero Enemies added (30%)
-New Items created and in-game (45%)
-Lore features (25%)

Major Features Still To Do:

-Quests and Music

Other Features/Ideas:

-Factions
-Easter Eggs ^^
-Dread "challenge" Dungeons
-Moar art

Regarding time-frame, I'm working as much and as hard as I can on it and at this stage am aiming to have the first build ready for testing sometime early this year.  So full release of the first chapter will likely be not long after that ...buuut it all takes time.  At the end of the day I want to give you guys something that's complete and, most importantly - fun to play!   

~  Anything new for TQ? Experience what Unearthed Studios NZ has been up to with the release of Eternal Embers! - Website: https://www.unearthedstudiosnz.com/ ~

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hamunaptra Mod - Development
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2018, 14:15:42 »
Nice going, Prosoro! The Mod seems promising. O0

Sincere good luck on your future endeavours.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Malgardian

• Spectre
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2018, 22:32:30 »
Nice! Cool idea to give an overview about your progress so far, good luck and much success!

Creator of the Patchfix for Fanpatch 1.17

~~ "Many Kings. Many Empires. Many Gods. Many Gods. All Gone. All Things Go." ~~
Going Postal - Terry Pratchett

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Typhon

• Xul
  • TQ Titans
  • Sometimes you just gotta march on Mount Olympus.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -6
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2018, 23:15:16 »
Factions? Now I'm really interested!
Your inventory is full *Plays intense game of tetris*
Spoiler for Hiden:

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2018, 04:51:44 »

Thanks guys! Appreciate the support  8)

Onto the first dev update, had one of those elusive but immensely satisfying modding victories last night; finally managed to get containers (ie: Sarcophagi and Chests) to summon monsters! New traps yes! Very happy and the possibilities haha this is gonna be fun making all kinds of surprises for you guys to raise your shield at  ;D

I know this has been done before in Legion of Champions, but I figured it out and think Bumbleguppy would be proud heha.

See below for results! "...the occupants of the campsite wondered with alarm why a random sarcophagus just appeared out of thin air! So they opened it of course"

~  Anything new for TQ? Experience what Unearthed Studios NZ has been up to with the release of Eternal Embers! - Website: https://www.unearthedstudiosnz.com/ ~

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2018, 21:03:19 »
Bless you my son, I got a little misty. :')

Good job with the spawn effect, that's tricky if it isn't already baked in.

EDIT: Okay, here's an idea. The chest skill spawns an invisible monster/hidden from combat,. It has SIX summon skills (cloned duplicates) that spawn increasing amounts of scarabs...like 3 then the cloned skill is set to four etc. In the skill config the first is set to the initial skill, then the rest have a 0.5 second delay (or will it have to increment? like 0.5, 0.8 etc.). I will have to fool around with this idea, but having summons POUR out instead of burst out might be feasible...and fun :D

You'd have to set the invisible monster to die after like 30 seconds or when it's done summoning...otherwise it would do the skill again if the player reloads the area.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2018, 21:11:19 by Bumbleguppy »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2018, 08:13:48 »
Good job with the spawn effect, that's tricky if it isn't already baked in.

Hey thanks BG!  :D I also reduced the scale of them so they're a bit smaller than the standard Bone Scarabs.

Okay, here's an idea... ...having summons POUR out instead of burst out might be feasible...and fun

Such a kool sounding idea indeed! I like your thinking  ;) aaand if I can pull it off it will be very in-keeping with 'The Mummy' theme - and also just really awesome to have ingame ^^,

Regarding the skill spawns, I'd guess yeah it would need to increase each 'round'? otherwise the invisible monster might decide to summon 3>5>4 instead of 3>4>5>6 etc.  As you say though, will have to play round with it to see what works

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2018, 16:35:05 »
Loved the teaser :) Looks really promising... Keep up the good work!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2018, 12:30:57 »
...Keep up the good work!

Will do Nargil  ;D Thanks!

Here's a few screenshots showcasing some tombs and dungeon areas you'll be exploring!
You might notice that some have darker lighting, this is because as you descend further into lower levels the dungeons get progressively darker and more gloomy  ;)

Tomb of Bones01

Spoiler for Hiden:
Sewers
Spoiler for Hiden:
Tomb of Bones02
Spoiler for Hiden:
Reliquary
Spoiler for Hiden:
Pyramid Chamber
Spoiler for Hiden:

Also, a request from me to you guys on the forums; I'm working on creating different encounters for dungeons and wanted to ask > do you have any ideas or suggestions?? E.g: "After exploring the tunnels of a tomb you enter a large chamber, perhaps with some kind of set piece in the center such a pool of blood or a lone sarcophagus.  What happens next..."

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2018, 13:58:28 »
looking good so far !

it must be really fun exploring a dungeon with almost no light radius :D
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Typhon

• Xul
  • TQ Titans
  • Sometimes you just gotta march on Mount Olympus.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -6
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2018, 18:28:49 »
This and Deities mod, woo! Can't wait
Your inventory is full *Plays intense game of tetris*
Spoiler for Hiden:

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2018, 15:07:13 »
...do you have any ideas or suggestions?? E.g: "After exploring the tunnels of a tomb you enter a large chamber, perhaps with some kind of set piece in the center such a pool of blood or a lone sarcophagus.  What happens next..."

I might. ^^:

You open the lone Sarcophagus and inside, much to your amazement, you find a rusty Genie Lamp! ^^

You're absolutely mesmerized by the trinket and, before you realize, you hold it in your hands. Dismayed by the dirt clogging it, you start rubbing the Lamp to make it shine brighter, then a Genie rises before you!

"Free me from this Dungeon and I shall grant you 1 out of 3 wishes" , the Genie said,

...You agree, then a hidden door materializes behind the Genie. So you clear the nasty Dungeon, kill the Boss, then come back to the Genie who offers you 1 out of 3 choices:

1- a super duper (overpowered) weapon,
2- an exclusive access to a very secret area, like Secret/Primrose Passage (good to farm items),
3- a unique Summon (tied to an item maybe),

They're already Djinni in Titan Quest. But they're female. Redesigning them to make them male could take some work. (if you have the will and the time, if not they're luckily already in-game). On a sidenote I also liked the design of the Genie in Torchlight 2:

(Err! Maybe I got carried away a tiny bit. ^^)

Note: Glad to see your mod featured on Kotaku. No pressure. ;D
« Last Edit: 20 February 2018, 15:23:45 by CrocMagnum »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 21 February 2018, 14:10:16 »
Now that I think of it: I'm not even sure if the "Quest Editor" in the Anniversary Edition allows "text-based" choices.

If not, 1 wish granted automatically -instead of a choice between 3- should work, I guess. ;D

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2018, 17:34:46 »
Yeah, the game was not made to have choices at the basic foundation. Shame, because it's fun.

I wonder if you could use the Quest Editor to spawn three objects, for example like the gem pedestals outside Hades Treasury.

As soon as the player interacts with one, simply remove the other two with the Quest.

Does that make sense?

When talking to genie->
   Spawn three choice objects (make sure they have some tool tip or other identifying text)
When interacting with Object 1 ->
  Grant Wish 1
  Remove Object 2
  Remove Object 3
When interacting with Object 2->
  Grant Wish 2
  Remove Object 1
  Remove Object 3

Etc.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2018, 21:12:04 »
A new adventure in egyptian map ? Great  ;) Good luck for your project Prosoro.

There is also another trigger like pedestals: when you cross the gates to fight Hades or Surtr, the gate is closing. I know nothing in modding, maybe the trigger value can be read  ?

Also, a request from me to you guys on the forums; I'm working on creating different encounters for dungeons and wanted to ask > do you have any ideas or suggestions?? E.g: "After exploring the tunnels of a tomb you enter a large chamber, perhaps with some kind of set piece in the center such a pool of blood or a lone sarcophagus.  What happens next..."

In addition to CrocMagnum and Bumbleguppy: one can imagine another chamber surrounded by open gates and a drawing on the pediment like in king's valley, e.g. 3 gates with either a sword, a staff or a bow. Or drawings less obvious, only clues. The chamber is accessible by the 3 gates, and all the gates are closing when you go in the chamber through one gate. In the example, a fight encounter with melee, magical or ranged boss, and finally a corresponding drop item.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal