Author Topic: How do you build an elementalist?  (Read 21373 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: How do you build an elementalist?
« Reply #15 on: 19 November 2018, 09:45:38 »
tholuneve, just reread your comment.. i gotta disagree with some of your points but i don't want to drag it :)

I've played several hybrids already.. at least 1 of 3 things is important: total damage, reduced resist (flat), reduced requirement.. and in xmax, most of the time there is no "safe time"
« Last Edit: 19 November 2018, 09:57:47 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #16 on: 05 February 2019, 00:55:04 »
necro post

as some of you may know i did enter an elementalist in the xmax HC challenge only to withdraw it early epic mostly because of the lag and my dislike of grinding (full xmax is a grind)

i continued it but this time only in xmax x3 (my default mode).. like most of my characters, i like to try just about any strategy i can think of and this one is no different.. that resulted in some unnecessary deaths :D .. those wouldn't have happened if i wasn't so hell bent on making these unusual builds work.. testing different builds is not something you do in xmax HC challenge

Spoiler for Hiden:
my stat distribution is something many would probably call sh*t but to me, it's perfectly normal

i did die against 3 Hildisvini golden boars though while i wasn't testing builds.. it was my first real death so i would've been kicked out in the HC challenge anyway.. although i didn't equip any less damage from magical(?), something i surely would've done if i was still playing in the challenge

ah enough of that.. i had fun trying these different possible builds so i thought i'd share.. it's long so i put em in spoilers

1) squall + lightning bolt + VO + eruption
Spoiler for Hiden:
i like long range skills so this is my current build.. but there's a reason why i haven't spent my 28 attribute points yet.. I'm not married to this playstyle yet.. not much more to say.. just cast, cast, and cast
2) fire and ice
Spoiler for Hiden:
this actually kills faster than (1).. ice shard surprisingly goes well with VO and eruption because the slow effect forces the mobs to take more of the fire fragments.. i still went with (1) because it's safer.. ice shard is not a hit and run skill
3) 3 elements (LB + eruption + ice shard)
Spoiler for Hiden:
just from watching it, this is probably the closest one can get to a mage.. but you don't really need 3 elements and gearing is different for an ice sharder than for other casters.. but dem isn't this beautiful?

4) stone form + reflect + eruption
Spoiler for Hiden:
this is a combination of clex's reflect evoker and the old strategy stone form + eruption.. the important things to get are CDR, cast speed, and reflect damage.. squall is not worth it because archers can't hit you and the time itself to cast squall is just not worth it else you risk dying.. this is also very good but you have to know the 4 most important resists at least according to my tests:

stun res
skill disruption protection
life leech res
energy leech res

if you don't have stun res, and you get stunned after stone form expires, your dead.. same with skill disruption protection.. life leech and energy leech are the only 2 attacks that stone form doesn't give you protection from.. i had to learn it the hard way (deaths) from the act 4 minor bosses in Hades.. those that cast the circle like thingy on the ground.. if you don't have life leech and energy leech res, your dead.. and if you somehow survive, you can't cast stone form again because your energy got drained.. what's worse is you can't run away because you are in stone form so you are forced to watch your health and energy go zilch.. it was only through repeated testing that i found those are resisted by life leech and energy leech.. good item choices are reflection (ring), athena's mirrored shield, and arcane mirror (artifact).. and yes max reflection (skill from storm).. but man this is a snorefest.. most of the time you only use 2 skills.. and one of them prevents you from moving

5) freezing blast + eruption + VO
Spoiler for Hiden:
the idea is freezing blast reduces physical resist by 100% and VO and eruption partly deals physical damage.. for this build, higher str is probably needed.. %physical damage or %total damage would maybe be even better than %elemental.. of all the builds i tried, this is probably the safest elementalist build i found hence probably the safest for a HC challenge.. i thought the kill speed would be so much slower because of the damage absorption but it's not much.. it's because mobs are frozen so they can't move.. result is they are forced to eat all those fragments from eruption and VO.. the progress is still slower but it's very safe.. the downside is the big bosses can't be frozen but VO and eruption are still effective and good cheese skills.. hero bosses and even Dactyl can be frozen.. you don't really need to freeze every mob.. but i liked it enough that i left 1pt on freezing blast.. i already imagine using this against Dragonians

6) hybrid melee
Spoiler for Hiden:
neither storm nor earth doesn't give any bonus to OA or DA so it becomes even more difficult to gear.. good thing is thunderball and ring of fire reduces enemy DA and armor respectively.. and monsters are forced to take all fragments of eruption because you can serve as tank
i recently asked in the chat section how much OA i would need endgame.. icefreeze answered it's probably 1k so that became my target.. could something like this work till endgame? elem resists are terrible but heat shield and energy shield should help

items:
impenetrable of the mammoth w/ crystal of erebus +2 all skills
corselet of freyja
veteran's of speed w/ anubis wrath
priams gate
adroit loop
socrates of immortality w/ demons blood
cerberus collar
archmages clasp
leggings of the defiled
symbol of the polymath
7) hybrid throwing weapon build
Spoiler for Hiden:
theoretically, this should be easier to build because you don't need OA for thrown weapons.. but i don't know, it doesn't seem to be better than (6).. and to equip the best throwing weapons you need high dex but neither earth nor storm boost pierce so you could even end up with less damage than (6).. but maybe chakram of the sun is worth all the dex? dunno.. the fact that it's a throwing weapon (range) doesn't mean it's safer than a melee.. it doesn't work that way in legendary
« Last Edit: 05 February 2019, 01:17:30 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Halley

• Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +8
« Reply #17 on: 08 December 2021, 14:05:00 »
Which one would you consider less gear dependent? Or better for solo self-found (with no heritage) to fully clear xmax3 legendary difficulty?

From what I read, I am torn between freezing blast (build 5) or Stone form (build 6) maybe because they seem to be the safest, but I really have no idea...And where do you get the -recharge (CDR) items? Planning a build relying on some monster infrequent items to work is acceptable, but planning a build that only works with purple/blue stuff is not really realistic for me...because I have just started the game.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal