Author Topic: print size for photoshop  (Read 789 times)

Offline efko

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
print size for photoshop
« on: 19 May 2021, 20:38:41 »
eflos:
Hello, after few months I'm using Photoshop again and since always I had problem with image size. The thing is I'm used to pixels size but sometimes I need to use centimeters and here comes the problem. Image size does not fit on monitor to real meter measures when checking how many centimeters image has, so if I want it to be 13x9cm, my meter will give result about 11x7cm, and when checking Image/Image Size.. , Pixel dimensions seems to do some change on actual size. So any thoughts on this are very welcome, what to do to be 100% sure that Size is correct?

7:30 AM
Giraldo:
You have to meet all the following requirements to get a match between physical measures on screen (with rulers or measuring tapes) and real-world printing measurements (If you miss just one, it won't work):

Requirement 1
You have to print at a scale of 100%. This means either of the following:
a) Your image is significantly smaller than the paper size (considering the resolution), and therefore it fits in the center of the page, at a scale of 100%, leaving significant white space around the four sides (see screenshot). This space will act as the margin for the printer to use if it doesn't support borderless printing.
b) You can allow the image to be cropped, leaving white space as margins. These whitespace are at the expense of ignoring the sides of the image that would have been there at 100%, instead of shrinking the image to the inside (and therefore not respecting the 100% scale).

If you're printing through the printer's driver, then you need to figure out where to make sure that the scale is set at 100%. Don't let the printer shrink the picture to fit it entirely on the paper, or expand it to cover a larger size than it would. If you're printing through Photoshop's interface ([Top Menu], File, Print,,,), here's the scale setting:

7:53 AM
Giraldo:
Requirement 2
* Take the measurement of the width of the screen (not the entire physical screen, but only the part which is lit), by hand, using a measuring tape or ruler. Be as precise as you can, with only a few millimeters for error range. Convert your measurement (from centimeters, for example) into inches (keep the decimal number, don't ignore them).

* Now look for the pixel resolution of your screen. If you don't know and you're on windows, right-click an empty place on the Desktop, Display Settings, and check the largest value inside the Screen Resolution dropdown. For instance, 1366 pixels in the screenshot.

* Finally, take out a calculator if you haven't already, and divide the horizontal width of your screen (in pixels) by the physical length measured (in inches), and you should get a value which is typically between 90 and 140 pixels per inch. For instance, if you're on a laptop and your screen is 12.4 inches wide, then: 1366 px/ 12.4 inches = 110ppi. Ignore the decimal numbers and round off.

* Lastly, in Photoshop, go to Preferences ([Top Menu], Edit (go to the very bottom), or press Ctrl + K), Units & Rulers. There input the previous value (110 in my example) in the field Screen Resolution. Press OK to exit. You should keep this option unchanged from now on, no matter what picture you're working with.

7:57 AM
Giraldo
Requirement 3
Whenever you're going to take a physical measure on the screen, change the zoom level to Print Size. To do that, go to [Top Menu], View, Print Size. This usually results in a pretty random zoom level, such as 153.5%, for example. Don't take the measurement at 100%! A 100% zoom has nothing to do with the physical dimensions of the picture when printed, but rather exclusively on the relationship between the pixels of the screen and the pixels of the canvas. Stay with Print Size!

« Last Edit: 19 May 2021, 20:40:25 by efko »
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal