Author Topic: Forum suggestions  (Read 5725 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline maxwolfie

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Forum suggestions
« on: 30 April 2018, 23:16:38 »
At least while the forum is still in it’s infancy, it may help drive activity by reducing the amount of boards. I would suggest deleting all boards that have no threads or only a few threads. Only add new boards as the need arises, not before. Perhaps the exceptions could be for the various Masteries, however depending on the forum software (I’m not too familiar with SMF) you may be able to implement a post “tagging” feature where keywords are added as “tags” by the thread author. For example, an Avenger guide will be tagged with “avenger”, “hunting” and “earth”. This could be a workaround for having duplicate forums for individual Masteries and all the possible Mastery combinations.

I really want to see this community flourish but I think growth will be hindered with the board in it’s current form.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Forum suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2018, 01:03:57 »
Hello maxwolfie and thank you for sharing your vision about forum with us. We already discussed about boards, mostly you can find info in topics bellow when we was focusing on boards and their purpose. It was done like this on purpose, yes its complicated, but it is very very hard to make it be perfect for everyone. As you can notice, boards are getting topics over time, most of them has at least 1 topic. Now why is it done like this, because it is really hard to find something if there are pages of topics, hard to navigate, even if there is tagging system, which I personally never used. So my plan is that we can have archives in future in some boards with the most topics where important and less relevant topics can be divided if there is need for that. After years of experience and observing SMF, this seems to be logical move to organize things like this, even SMF offers a lot of free features that we can start using any time, while other forum software is usually very limited or expensive and interesting thing is that SMF is almost without limits. "Only add new boards as the need arises, not before." - about this part, it is waste of time to go 1 by 1. It took me weeks to make boards organized and will take more when time comes to make forum more organized than now.
Now lets see what others think about Tags/Tagging system, and will be nice to hear different experiences. We have a list of plugins, here are results for "tag" - https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=tag;asc;start=0 , most of plugins which you can see there are for something else, also there are for sure more plugins with different name, without tag in plugin name.
Also to mention, we have Search button which does almost same thing.

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=21.0
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=191.0
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=7.0
« Last Edit: 01 May 2018, 01:10:19 by efko »
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Not Yet Rated!

Offline maxwolfie

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2018, 02:12:04 »
Thanks for your reply.

One clear division is the AE and IT categories, is it necessary to divide these? If it is, you could just enforce users to prefix their thread titles with a tag (see this link as an example: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4034). To add further confusion, the Mastery subforums are nestled under what appears to be a modification category, when these are not relevant to modifications. You then have modifications such as LOC and D2I under what appears to be a AE/Ragnarok discussion category. There is a modifications subforum that these should be made children of.

Even the Off Topic board has seven subforums, is that really necessary?

While I understand that an appropriate number of forums are require to assist in finding information, having too many forums results in the the opposite which I am finding at the moment. If you look at each forum, you will find that the majority do not have any posts, contrary to what you have stated.

I would suggest something similar to the below to start with:

Titan Quest
- General Discussion
- Masteries / Guides (consider having a build compendium thread stickied in this forum if someone is able to collate builds)
- - Earth
- - Hunting
- - Etc.
- Marketplace
- Modifications
- - LOC
- - D2I
- - Etc.

International
- Titan Quest
- Off Topic

Site
- Announcements
- Suggestions
- Off Topic

My posts are intended to be constructive criticism only. In any case thank you for setting up this community.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2018, 03:02:25 by maxwolfie »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2018, 07:42:32 »
maxwolfie, welcome to the forum and thanks for your suggestions.  :)  Yes, I do feel we need to divide IT and AE.  1) Because we're slowly building up the old IT info lost when titanquest.net closed down and 2) because AE has quite a lot of changes that effect how the game plays now.  Plus people are notoriously bad at putting something like IT or AE in a build guide title for example.  I expect we may end up losing a few of the forums because they're not needed, but we tried to include as much as possible right from the start rather than adding as we go along.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline maxwolfie

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2018, 10:00:54 »
No problems, thanks for reading and all the best :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2018, 12:21:42 »
To mention 1 more thing, child-boards of child-board won't be visible on main page https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?action=forum , and that's only con that we've got here with SMF, maybe can be fixed, but no info about it.  Example, here is Frozen World board https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?board=148.0 , but its not visible here
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?board=141.0
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?action=forum#c9
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Julius635

• Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 26 December 2020, 14:14:05 »
Hello, i would like to suggest the control to delete own messages to normal users, at least the messages alone (not the whole topic), if this control already exists you can ignore this message.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2020, 14:16:45 by Julius635 »
"I must destroy Dracula at any cost. That is my destiny."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2020, 01:38:08 »
Hello Julius635, MODIFY button is already provided after few posts and this is the way to help every user in case if there is a need to modify posts (misspelled, private information posted by mistake, outdated info corrected, update with new stuff). Delete option is available only to Moderators and Administrators and allowing such permission to everyone can bring problems and out of context topics.
In some specific cases user can contact via Personal Message active Moderator or Administrator for post deletion. Before sending PM, check profile and Last Active, otherwise it can happen to wait longer than expected.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal