Author Topic: Recreating Some of the Old Defiler Mods for AE/AE:R  (Read 8115 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline gasconron

• TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Recreating Some of the Old Defiler Mods for AE/AE:R
« on: 23 March 2018, 03:28:14 »
From what I understand, these were a compilation of separate individual mods made by different users. And Soul made it possible so that you can simply toggle this on and off via the Defiler tool.

Would it be possible make these changes separately and compile them into a database.arz file or even possibly merge them with an existing mod?

I read in some discussions that it was Soul's long term goal to update it's compatibility with AE/AE:R, but it would be nice it can become available sooner (making it myself), unless it's super advanced and intensive.

I'm mainly looking at these:
- freeze time of day
- filter broken & white
- tweaking drop amount & chance
- stacking pots/scrolls
- show damage
- show aggro

If these are relatively simple tweaks compared to the bigger projects people are making, can someone point me to the right direction/resources in making this. I'm aware of the tools to make this happen, but if there was like a user guide to help me figure out which parts i need to be looking at; it would be a lot easier.

It would definitely be worth taking time off the game and learn making this. If it's a very complex change unfit for novice wannabe modders, feel free to discourage me. :D
xmax hardcore is the only way to play this game.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Recreating Some of the Old Defiler Mods for AE/AE:R
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2018, 07:19:29 »
gasconron, I've no idea how complicated it may be, but if you do decide to try could you add the ability to open all your inventory bags option as well?  I find it so annoying early game to have to keep going back and forth to sell stuff because only one bag is available.  With the old Defiler when I created a new toon, I'd run around Helos opening the first portal and then the caravan, exit the game then use Defiler to open all the inventory bags before going back to play the new toon.  It makes life so much easier when collecting everything to get enough money to expand your personal stash.

Soul's plan long term plan as far as I know is to make the combined TQ/GD Defiler have most if not all of the old mods in it.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9343

It's just a question of when, if ever, he'll get around to it.  :( Have you asked him for any pointers to how difficult it might be?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline gasconron

• TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2018, 07:26:06 »
RE: inventory, if I am able to then sure.
RE: Soul, unfortunately, I've had no interactions with the Soul, and I'm too shy to PM. I mean if it's people like you, Stormy, Violos, irma that I interacted with in the forums in the past I would.

I wouldn't be as presumptious to just ask the guy for his resources.

Would make for a very awkward introduction:

Hi Soul,
I know I'm a nobody, but can you send me your stuff anyways, so I can play around with it on my free time? K, thanks...
:D
« Last Edit: 23 March 2018, 08:42:21 by gasconron »
xmax hardcore is the only way to play this game.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2018, 08:53:18 »
Well, I would guess he knows your name from TQ.net and GD forums.  I was thinking more along the lines of just asking him how easy or difficult it would be to do those mods, not asking for his resources.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Elfe

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2018, 13:50:47 »
Defiler mods are no actual mods in terms of mods that we run through "play custom game".

Those are modifications in the game's binaries and therefore far apart from what you do using the modding tools. Some of these could be created by using the tools but most of them would be a lot work and would disable you from playing online with people who do not use the same changes.

So if you want to get those working what you really want to learn is debugging / reverse engineering which is much more complex than modding.

Some of those modifications will be a lot work and some are propably relatively simple. Freeze time per day and scroll stacking are probably easy to find and change while stuff like changing filters will be a whole lot more work to find and change.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2018, 13:53:43 by Elfe »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline cdm291

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2018, 00:07:38 »
Maybe you could try your hand at "cheatengine". There are many tutorials out there on how to use it. It is essentially a Hex Editor used to alter the game.exe binary code. Like Elfe said, it is much more complex than creating a mod to run in CustomMaps. But you can create yourself a Cheat Table (.CT) and toggle the codes on and off like a game trainer. Freeze Time and Item Stack should be doable anyhow. Good Luck.
"When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Cygi

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2018, 08:13:42 »
Soul's plan long term plan as far as I know is to make the combined TQ/GD Defiler have most if not all of the old mods in it.
It's just a question of when, if ever, he'll get around to it.

BTW, did he wrote, why he's still not finished it?
Personal life? Modding burnout? Something else?

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2018, 08:37:34 »
No idea, Cygi. My guess, and it's only a guess since I'm not computer/modding literate, is that since both TQAE and GD are still being developed and expansions added it may make it difficult to set up some of the mods as something may change with a new game update.  :-\ Or could just be real life getting in the way.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline koderkrazy

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2018, 10:31:48 »
Some of these could be done easily:
1) filter broken & white => could be done in a bounce mod. Yellow items could be filtered also.
2) tweaking drop amount & chance  => could be done in a bounce mod. edit loottable dbr files.
    I did it to get rarest items ;D too much farming gave me carpal tunnel.
3) stacking pots/scrolls => could be done in a bounce mod. we could increase stack size more than 25 and 10. edit engine.dbr file.

These are hard ones: there is nothing in game database about these. only option is to modify .dll files
1)show damage
2)show aggro
3)freeze time of day

« Last Edit: 30 May 2018, 10:33:19 by koderkrazy »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal