Author Topic: Should I Include Atlantis and/or Ragnarok in Mod?  (Read 3344 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline rakshir

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -5
Should I Include Atlantis and/or Ragnarok in Mod?
« on: 19 August 2020, 04:05:47 »
For years I've been tinkering with modding with the intention of creating a specific game play experience for myself and others of like mind. It wouldn't stray far from vanilla but tweaks many things more to my liking. Skills and trees get tweaked and changed. Mages and hybrids become more viable. The challenge of the game gets upped overall but the difficulty spikes and outliers get leveled out a bit. The experience of leveling from the beginning is very important for me and my modding aims to make it consistently fun through each act and for each skill tree. There are numerous ideas that I've implemented in various versions of personal mods and have a pretty clear idea of what I want to accomplish.

One of the things that's halted my progress is the release of Ragnarok and Atlantis. While I never regretted buying them and found it interesting to play through them at least once, I could never bring myself to start planning how to incorporate the acts themselves into my mod. For one thing, I won't have accomplished heroes so adding the acts makes for a really long playthrough from level 1 through legendary, and I like to play all character types. For another, in my opinion, the quality and consistency is just not quite in line with the rest of the game. It seems like it would take a tremendous amount of work to make them so. I keep waiting for patches to make them a bit better but I don't think anything major is going to happen. I'm a numbers guy and pretty good at balancing but a real novice at modding. But to cut out so much content seems extreme. This has been keeping me in limbo.

So I really want to get the opinions of anyone who will share them. When you think of the "perfect" Titan Quest playthrough experience for you, does it include the Ragnarok and/or Atlantis acts? Side question: what about throwing weapons? I'm not a huge fan and always wanted to have wands in my mod. Ultimately I know these things are up to me but sometimes getting other opinions gives me the clarity I need. Thanks for reading and any opinions.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2020, 13:57:25 by rakshir »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: Should I Include Atlantis and/or Ragnarok in Mod?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2020, 09:21:47 »
well, I'm gonna be honest with you.... after my single mastery hardcore run, that might just be it for me. but if my opinion still holds any weight, include both but edit Atlantis skills. many skills there have absurd energy costs and some are just badly designed. then make a quest reward in Atlantis that will make it worth completing - like a stat reset if it's possible. once per difficulty.
then ragnarok - the legendary craftsmanship still feels wrong. your item can actually get worse after the upgrade. maybe the values don't get changed and instead of random affixes, make the item socketable instead. again if it's possible

edit: wands or thrown weapons. if it's just one or the other, can't you make it like some are throwing weapons but have the attributes of a wand but projectiles of a staff? i mean different staves have different projectiles (the MI staff with a pierce damage, staff of the cosmos?, carnyx) so maybe it's possible with throwing weaps
« Last Edit: 19 August 2020, 09:27:50 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Formerly 'Nefer' of the tq.net forums.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2020, 11:14:48 »
I can see you're dilemma, indeed sometimes just making a start in one direction will quickly tell you whether its the right decision and you'll have an answer.

Regarding the questions though; for me the 'perfect' playthrough I'd have to say has always been going through the vanilla acts (incl Immortal Throne). If by throwing knives you mean the thrown weapons added with expac 2 personally I don't like/use them much but if anything I do appreciate the variety they add.
~  Anything new for TQ? Experience what Unearthed Studios NZ has been up to with the release of Eternal Embers! - Website: https://www.unearthedstudiosnz.com/ ~

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline rakshir

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -5
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2020, 14:03:54 »
Thank you @botebote77 and @Prosoro. Just the kind of feedback I'm looking for.
If by throwing knives you mean the thrown weapons
Yes, that's what I meant, thanks.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2020, 18:29:50 »
My short answer is "If you don't find it good, make it good."

Thrown weapons are not inherently bad, the flaws of Ragnarok aren't set in stone.

Your intro suggests that your mod is aimed at a few rare souls and yourself, so maybe you don't even need to ask us. You already know what's the best TQ experience for yourself, yes?

Then make it.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal