Author Topic: Bow In A Magic Build?  (Read 3661 times)

Offline TQAndy

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
Bow In A Magic Build?
« on: 01 April 2020, 10:47:00 »
Bow In A Magic Build?

I've played through TQ:AE on Android (only platform I've played it on) as a Warden/Hunter+Defense and as a Ranger/Hunter+Nature because I prefer ranged attacks over melee. Haven't worked up the enthusiasm to play them in Epic even though I've read that there is some very cool equipment to be had.

I've toyed around with Magic builds but don't like that it costs Energy for each attack; I find it to be an annoyance to manage.

I've read some very cursory info on using a Bow in a typically Magic build, and am about to try it out with my currently level 10 Soothsayer/Nature+Earth, and level 6 Storm. There will be challenges (Strength), especially with Soothsayer, but with Storm I've yet to choose my second mastery, and this is where the questions come:

1) Any suggestions for secondary in Storm?
2) Any advice for using a Bow with a Magic build?
3) What other Ranged masteries would you suggest?

BTW, this is the only TQ on Mobile forum I've found. Thanks folks!
TQ:AE Android player since February 2020

Online Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Bow In A Magic Build?
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2020, 07:00:15 »
Welcome to the forum.  :)  Yeah, there don't seem to be many people playing it on mobiles, though I think there are a few people on the official TQ Discord who do.  https://discord.gg/RX8KakD

Funny you should go in that direction because I recently started a bow Elementalist (Storm/Earth) just to see how it might play.  Not very far along yet, only L22 and reached Memphis but it's been fun so far.  To be honest strength shouldn't really be a problem because you should get plenty of int from both Nature/Earth and dex as well.  So going 1:1 str:dex should give you enough of both to equip bows since they don't need a lot of strength.  Dex may be more problematic so keep an eye on it and maybe switch to 1:2 str:dex if needed.  Nature doesn't rely on int for it's skills so only Earth and Storm that do. 

There are a couple of hybrid build ideas which Irma2 did many years ago which could work well for you since you only have the base game on mobile.  An elemental Sage and an Avenger

Sage:
Elemental bow Sage - http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Sage&master1=7&master2=8&sa=21&m1=32-0-0-6-1-12-6-0-8-0-1-8-12-0-1-10-1-0-6-12-6-0-0&m2=32-0-10-6-0-8-8-0-12-0-0-0-6-12-0-0-1-1-0-8-0-0-0
I feel that I can afford to drop Find Cover to just one point, as Squall takes care of most ranged enemies. Marksmanship is also reduced to accommodate the elemental skills.

Avenger:
Bow Avenger - http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Avenger&master1=7&master2=1&sa=21&m1=32-0-0-6-1-12-6-0-8-0-1-8-12-0-8-10-1-0-6-12-6-0-0&m2=32-12-0-8-1-0-0-1-16-0-1-8-0-0-1-1-0-0-1-8-12-0-0

He made quite a lot of different build ideas and you can find them here

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=679.0

Offline TQAndy

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2020, 19:40:03 »
Thanks @MedeaFleecestealer

Lots of good stuff in the links you shared!; gives me ideas for what to try next.

I'm currently at L9 Brigand, and a first-time Rogue so am early in to figuring out that mastery. The only mastery I know well is Hunter, so the Sage and Avenger builds sound interesting, and I'll probably try one of those next.

As for Find Cover, I've never even tried it because I assumed it would make my toon move to avoid, when I actually want to be attacking; something that, unfortunately, sometimes happens anyway. I'd rather stand there and get hit a few times than have the AI make me run away and get hit even more.

BTW, I'm a big fan of titancalc.com and use it regularly.

Thanks again

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2020, 08:54:02 »
Well, you can always hold down left-shift to stay in place.  I do it as habit these days, I've been using it for so long. 

Yes, titancalc has been a godsend over the years so many thanks to Stonedonkey for making it.  It's been adapted for the AE version of the game and has been the inspiration for Grim Dawn's www.grimtools.com/calc as well.  A pretty good legacy I'd say. 

Offline TQAndy

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2020, 10:50:59 »
"Well, you can always hold down left-shift to stay in place."
Not on Android. I've adapted my behavior to kinda avoid this, mostly.
It's usually just a minor annoyance, although it has lead to me being killed at least a few times.

BTW, I'm liking the L10 Brigand I'm currently playing. I lucked in to Ram Bow from some random attacker outside the Spartan Camp. I've heard about this bow so actually got really excited when I saw it drop.

« Last Edit: 04 April 2020, 11:43:59 by TQAndy »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2020, 22:15:50 »
Ah, forgot you weren't using a PC. 

Yeah, it's a nice bow with attack speed on it.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal