Author Topic: Basic tips in modeling  (Read 1317 times)

Rated 1 time
Excellent

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Basic tips in modeling
« on: 16 November 2021, 07:15:15 »
« Last Rated on: 09 March 2023, 17:41:25 »
For those interested in making or editing TQ models, Here are a few tips. I had a question about my workflow in PM, ill post the response here as well. My knowledge is pretty basic, but it may help someone to start.

My workflow is the following - first i load an existing character MSH file to 3ds max 2012 using Tokloo's 3dsmax plugin (it works better than the official Max exporter imo).
If i want to just reshape the model in blender, i import without bones, and then export as OBJ file to Blender. Blender is 10 times more user friendly than Max when doing almost any manipulation. For reshaping in Blender i mostly use Elastic Deform. If i want to add some accessories to the model (e.g. horns) i download a model from free 3D site and convert it to OBJ (using Max or Blender depending on the case), then load it in the scene where the main TQ character model is. Most accessories doesnt fit, so i rescale them, adjust them and reshape them untill they do. Usually its best to enable X symmetry when in sculpt mode, so both sides of the model are affected simultaneously. Ok, now - say you wanted to reshape a bit the male character, add horns on his head and export back to the game. You export both models (male pc mesh and horns) separately as OBJ to 3ds Max. Sometimes its better to uncheck "Write Normals" when exporting, because they display incorrectly in Max (but not always the case). If a model is made from more than 1 part (male model has part of his arm and leg as different object from the rest) you export each part separately. So you have 3 objects to export in this case - horns, body part 1 and body part 2.
How to transfer animation/bone data after exporting from Blender:
First, you import the original male model to Max using Tokloo's plugin again, but this time with bones, hitboxes and optionally with attach points (whatever it has).
On top of that model you load the modified OBJ files you exported from Blender. Next, on the 2 body parts (not horns) you apply Skin Wrap modifier. For each part on the modifier's settings under "Deformation Engine" choose "Face Deformation" and set "Falloff" value to 0,001 (the lowest value). Then click on "Add" and pick a base part of the mesh you want to import Skin data from. In the given example with male model for the arm-leg part of the body (the smaller one) you "Add" the corresponding arm-leg part of the base mesh to import Skin data from; in the same way for the bigger part (rest of the body), you transfer from the bigger part of the original mesh.
After the Skin/bone data is transferred, lower in the Skin Wrap modifier settings you click on "Convert to Skin". This will disable Skin Wrap modifier and add a new Skin Modifier on top of it (the model is already connected to the skeleton).
For the horns - thats easier, since they are dependent on 1 bone only (Bone_Head) you can apply Skin Modifier directly and in the empty bone list click "Add" and then pick Bone_Head from the list. Now the horns will always move with character's head.
After you attach your model's parts to character bones, apply Edit Normals modifier to each separate part. Select all normals (Ctrl + A) untill they are all red and then in Edit normals settings tick "Use threshold", then change the value next to "Selected" to 0,0001 (this will set it to 0,0). Then click on "Selected" button. The normals should change their position. If black parts appear on the mesh using this method, click on Unify Normals instead. When you exit the modifier, the normals should be green or light blue now.
You are pretty much set up for export. How to Import/Export you probably already know (it's explained in Endymion's tutorial).
I usually do not export or import Attach Points to Max, instead i open the original mesh and the newly created mesh with MeshView and paste text data from one to the other. This does the trick.

Here is a small visual quide, only pictures: https://mega.nz/file/IWYX1AhZ#LZSyky0bZiS3jc88XN2BbPJga0rOslA7LJc6fT3nEzI

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal