Author Topic: [Tutorial] Add a new weapon to the game!  (Read 41472 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline soa

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: [Tutorial] Add a new weapon to the game!
« Reply #30 on: 24 March 2020, 00:03:22 »
I think you need to rebuild the pathing in the editor, select the map and -> rebuild pathing ( i think)
If you just add an item without modifying the environment, I think it's OK not to rebuild pathing.

Just got it all working now, spawned my item. So first of all, thank you, this has been really helpful. However, one question remains, is it somehow possible to insert a custom item into the main Game making it playable there? I'm pretty sure it is, so how do I do it?

It depends on what you want : do you want it in a fixed place on the ground/a fixed chest, or appearing randomly or not in merchant's inventory, monsters equipment, etc.
It would be more complicated to have it on the ground at a specific place, it would involve changing the main map. You'd want to use existing containers, npc or proxies of the main game map to make things easier.
Soulvizier for AE, Ragnarok and Atlantis [released] :
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1201.0  / Discord : https://discord.gg/qs9t6AA
Overhaul mod with many new monsters, skills, items, features, balance and bugfixes. Increased difficulty.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tacitus

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #31 on: 24 March 2020, 00:14:03 »
If it doesn't make any difference to you I'd be interested in all available methods. If it does, I'd rather know the easiest way of having the item at one specific retrievable point, edited chest or otherwise.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
« Reply #32 on: 24 March 2020, 00:52:56 »
Just got it all working now, spawned my item. So first of all, thank you, this has been really helpful. However, one question remains, is it somehow possible to insert a custom item into the main Game making it playable there? I'm pretty sure it is, so how do I do it?

The only way to do this is replace your game's database.arz with your mod's database.arz. That will modify the game files, so make sure to make at least one backup to preserve your old files, in case you mess up and wish to go back. Also, you will not be able to play multiplayer with players that have a different database.arz than yours.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tacitus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: 24 March 2020, 01:33:59 »
If that's the way to go, I'l be sure to take precautions, though @soa didn't make it sound that way, but that may just be interpretation. Also, how come you say mp would be impossible? I remember seeing plenty of people running around in custom gear in normal campaigns in multiplayer
« Last Edit: 24 March 2020, 01:36:19 by tacitus »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: 25 March 2020, 01:12:59 »
In my message, I assumed you would include your item only through loot tables and not make it appear on the ground. If you want to make it appear in Main Quest, whether it is on the ground or not, you will need to replace the game files with yours, and if you have different game files as your partners, you will not be able to play with them.

About those cheated items, I'm not sure how they're made, but they all use assets in-game, so they definetly come from somewhere. But I don't really know tbh...

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tacitus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: 25 March 2020, 01:34:49 »
So I did get it all in and working now using your method of unpacking the database and repacking it, which surely would need to be done for lootables as well wouldn't it since they're just your standard .dbrs as well which wouldn't work outside of custommaps....

I do wonder how other people got custom items into the game, I do have some from years ago, I had an actual working Leonidas Amour for some time, no idea if I still have it or if or if it still works, and I still have some modified rings, some of which still work, others which don't, all of which I got via the multiplayer. Very strange indeed...

One unrelated question however. When building mods, especially when rebuilding my database.arz I frequently get errors, in which the ArtManager is unable to open certain files (template or resources)(and my database.arz file shrinks by every time I build it) probably resulting in strange bugs I experience now in game, mainly a black background on the main menu, missing ui elements or a ctd when trying to access the artifact stash. One solution that is mentioned is moving your working/templates folder to the required correct directory, but it already appears to be there, where it's intended to be. Or to install the templates via the ArtManager in the first place, which I tried, without apparent affect, probably because it's already there. One other idea was to direct the ArtManager to use an updated tool in the Atlantis dlc directory which doesn't seem to exist under any recognizable name or directory at least. All of these suggestions were in reference to a missing template folder (which I'm pretty sure exists where it's supposed to in my case) but the error message does suggest that it could have been a resource as well...
Any idea how i fix this?
« Last Edit: 25 March 2020, 01:38:28 by tacitus »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: 26 March 2020, 04:00:05 »
I think some Atlantis templates are missing which will cause an error when attempting to build them. Are you running your mod through Custom Quest or Main Quest? What have you attempted so far?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tacitus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: 26 March 2020, 17:53:25 »
I'm running it on the Main, which was the aim of all of this. I tried relocating the template folder which already appeared in the right directory, downloading templates which didn't do anything,really, and, last but not least verifying the game files via steam, which lead to the modded database file being recognized as faulty and subsequently replaced with a working one. I don't think it's only hinging on Atlantis templates though, since for example, the quest tab was missing, and the ctd in the artifact stash.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: 29 March 2020, 05:30:43 »
It's hard for me to tell because I don't know what you did or how your files look like. The implementation of a new item should be pretty straight-forward and certainly not lead to the loss of game elements.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tacitus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: 30 March 2020, 02:02:50 »
It is, and I'm clear that the process is straightforward, in and of itself, it appears to be working. It builds the .arz file I want it to build, and it builds the mod  want it to build, with the exceptions of a few errors, 192, in my last try to be exact, all, to my knowledge with the same error msg. "error loading record file or associated template" this also happens with other, smaller mods though without apparent effect.

I can post a pic of my directory but I'm not so sure what's there to be seen...

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: 30 March 2020, 03:59:21 »
Before skipping any steps, have you made sure that it works in a Custom Quest at all?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tacitus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: 30 March 2020, 18:39:33 »
The item works.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: 31 March 2020, 12:34:14 »
When you attempt to overwrite the game's database with your mod's database, have you noticed any difference in file size? I would guess some files are missing and there's a way you could make sure no file is left out: you could try using ARZ Explorer (https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=709.0) and use it to extract the whole base game's database, place it in your mod then add your item. Rebuild the mod for a new .arz and place this one in the game folder. Remember to make backups.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tacitus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: 31 March 2020, 19:06:31 »
Exactly how I did it in the first place.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: 04 April 2020, 21:28:54 »
Have you tried doing it all over again from a clean installation? I can't possibly know what went wrong at this point.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal