Author Topic: Hunter Bow or Throwing?  (Read 11640 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Dragonsnacks

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
Hunter Bow or Throwing?
« on: 29 June 2018, 18:31:36 »
Starting playing a hunter again and just noticed I can equip a throwing and get some hunter skills. Im thinking Bow for regular and Throwing/Shield for tough encounters. Anyone know if one becomes better then the other later?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: Hunter Bow or Throwing?
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2018, 19:57:09 »
im not sure if im correct, but throwing weapon gives bit more dmg and its faster then bows in early game, and you will find alot of epic and rare throwing weapons than bows :S
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Dragonsnacks

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2018, 20:01:23 »
Thanks, but what about later in the game will throwing with a shield be better then just a bow or does it even out to a personal preference?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2018, 20:30:14 »
Both can work but will feel differently depending on what you are doing.

Throwing weapons natural weakness is short range, putting you in danger when fighting archers, especially undead whom you can't leech from. Hunter can naturally stack chance to avoid projectiles, but that requires good gear with that stat.

Bow is safer for a regular pierce / physical build when you can't or don't want to go out of your way to stack projectile evasion. Throwing weapons become a lot safer when paired with CC and debilitating spells like menhirs wall or dream skills, common in magic damage masteries.

Game also forces throwing weapons on you like cancer, you will get a dozen of touch of Ra's in epic, then half dozen of Neith wills, Ladons and Dwarfbiters each, and at least 1-2 chackrams of the moon/sun per character.

Edit: No, don't pair them with each other, pair them with a spear. There are troll monsters in new secret area with 100% projectile evasion and just glitching mobs on Iggdrasil and elsewhere, hard to hit with projectile attacks. If thats not enough, there are kelpies throughout half of act 5 who are like shadow stalkers but ranged, and put impaired aim on you with their attacks.
« Last Edit: 29 June 2018, 20:33:41 by mammoth_hunter »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Dragonsnacks

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2018, 21:10:19 »
Thanks

Not Yet Rated!

Offline stormyboy

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +2
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2018, 12:00:29 »
I came looking for this exact thread, believe it or not :)). Right  now i am trying to pair hunt with smth. And i am between def, war or some magical mastery (without the inteligence and energy from a caster mastery you are more or less forced to put some atributes in energy)

Any thoughts on this? I gues hunt +magical (bow)  would work fine till end of epic but it will become squishy. Same with war (dual wield throw) . I know that going def would offer me huge survivability boost  but will it be enogh to make up for the low damage of throw+shield in legendary?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2018, 16:19:23 »
Is throwing weapons possible in Immortal Throne or IT mods? I noticed that only in Soulvizier spears can be thrown, but not sure which mastery allows that. Also which types of weapons can work that way, saw spears, not sure for knives, and can it be dual throwing?
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2018, 16:20:01 »
why not both? my bonecharmer uses thrown + shield, then bow on secondary

edit: and I'm sure you know the reason.. like it's just suicide getting close to 3 Typhon.. things like that
« Last Edit: 26 November 2018, 16:23:01 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline oldage

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2018, 17:07:11 »
Found some junk from years ago I'm looking at. Thought this might be of interest. It's a discussion Irma 2 and I had because I was looking for a second weapon other than a spear.
Getting in an acceptable format was a pain.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2018, 17:43:23 »
Found some junk from years ago I'm looking at. Thought this might be of interest. It's a discussion Irma 2 and I had because I was looking for a second weapon other than a spear.
Getting in an acceptable format was a pain.

From text document:
    1. I'd use bow as switch on all of them except Haruspex who can get a spear in the second slot. With a point in Psionic Touch and investment in the Phantom Strike tree, bow Haru can become a bow/spear hybrid quite easily. Sage, Avenger and Ranger get nothing for spear, not even a LMB attack. So I'd keep them on bows.

For bow switches, the primary bow is always about damage. So I'd avoid sockets like Anubis' Wrath and focus instead on Artemis' Bowstring or Valor of Achilles to max out damage. When you have taken damage and want to recover, you can switch to the secondary bow, which could be damage prefix (Relentless, Murderous, Veteran's, etc) with ...of Devouring as suffix and Anubis' Wrath socketed, preferably with +% attack speed as completion bonus. Suck back all that life instantly.

But ADCtH is not the only viable characteristic of the second weapon. Don't forget resistances and special damage types either. Here are some examples:
Apollo's Curved Bow: 84% Poison resistance. Cerberus, anyone?
Astrapi: 90% Lightning resistance. Gives extra protection when kiting Typhon, Grays, Megalesios
Atalanta's Bow: +100% Damage to Beasts. Cerberus, anyone? Also useful against those pierce resistant Turtles.
Helios' Fury: 88% Fire resistance
Painweaver: 64% Bleeding resistance. Useful against Yaoguai's gore attack.
Sybaris: Great energy leech and ADCtH. Very useful if you're an archer who runs out of the blue stuff frequently. Instead of socketing Spectral Matter, just switch to Sybaris when you're running low on energy or health.
Teucer's Warbow: 21% elemental resistance

That's not to say that you'll necessary prefer these weapons to your primary. But it is something to consider. I would always sacrifice some DPS in order to get 80% capped resistance to whatever boss I'm fighting.

Then there is the issue of those Undead skellies, their decent pierce resistance and their resistance to ADCtH/life leech. Your primary weapon may do a passable job against them. But I'd prefer a good damage secondary bow like Vet's of Annihilation socketed with something like Blade of Thanatos (+% Total Damage so it boosts both physical and piercing) with a completion bonus of +50% Damage to Undeads.

In Undead-heavy areas, pair that bow with swap-out armour items like Bellerophon's Leggings (+60% Damage to Demons and Undeads) and Phantom Bane (+70% Damage to Demons and Undeads) and those Undeads cease to be a problem. You can, of course, also keep a bow in inventory with a socket that adds +50% Damage to Demons, and then use that as secondary in late Act IV where most foes are Demons.

Unfortunately, it seems that ...of Necromancy and ...of Demonology don't roll on bows or, if they do, they're extremely rare. Nevertheless, the socket/Bellerophon's/Phantom Bane combo gives you all the damage help you need.

In summary, your secondary weapon is not there to replicate the properties of the first, nor to give you an entirely different means of delivering damage (bow -> staff, for eg). It is there to address special situations where your primary bow may not be ideal. So there is nothing wrong or "wasted" about carrying two bows. Quite the contrary, it is a luxury and one that you should exploit to fullest advantage.

╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2018, 07:15:14 »
Is throwing weapons possible in Immortal Throne or IT mods? I noticed that only in Soulvizier spears can be thrown, but not sure which mastery allows that. Also which types of weapons can work that way, saw spears, not sure for knives, and can it be dual throwing?

Not sure, but I think Bumbleguppy's Legion of Champions mod has throwing knives in it.  The AE v1 does I know, but so long since I played LoC IT I can't be 100% sure for that.  Don't think dual wielding them is possible.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2018, 14:57:51 »

Not sure, but I think Bumbleguppy's Legion of Champions mod has throwing knives in it.  The AE v1 does I know, but so long since I played LoC IT I can't be 100% sure for that.  Don't think dual wielding them is possible.
Ichtians around coast have ability to throw spears in Soulvizier and they are doing nice damage, so maybe I just have to investigate more. I think I saw somewhere but it costs energy to use, so its casting thing, not attack type.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2018, 15:59:03 »
you guys are getting way off topic  O:-)
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2018, 17:42:45 »
How is talking about throwing stuff being off topic?  ???

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal